Todd McShay Mock Draft 1.0 - Video

wppete

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Oh yeah, he'll be gone in the top 15 picks, just an example. 

As for Claypool, that will be a big knock on him- that and lack of production (though crap QBing can help explain some of that away). The truth is that there just aren't that many 6'3+ 215+ men in the world that are fast enough to run by NFL DB's. There's a short supply of Calvin Johnson's, Mike Evans', and Julio Jones' in the world. So we might not get every attribute that we covet. Give me someone who plays strong, catches what's thrown at him, and is fast enough to make plays at every level, and I'll be happy. 

that’s what the combine will tell me if he is that

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

I know the Bills are having their best season in 20 years, and I am beyond thrilled about it.

BUT....

I can't wait for this offseason. I guess it's the Bills fan in me, having to look forward to offseasons moreso than seasons the past 20 years. I've also always loved the roster building aspects of football.

With $90 million and 9 draft picks, it's gonna be a really fun lead-up to free agency and the draft.

I'm right there with you... Color me a nerd, but I keep a running Mock offseason in my phone and whenever I'm bored at work or can't sleep, I'll scout players and try to build an offseason that fixes all the Bills problems. I've been doing this for years, and it's a lot more fun when the problems are less, and the draft picks are lower. :P

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Folks are gonna light torches when he trades up for Epenesa. ?

Aside from not loving large trade ups (more than 5 picks) - I wouldn't hate that. He's gonna be good- He reminds me of Cam Jordan. If we're sitting in the mid 20's and he falls to 15, I wouldn't mind trading up to grab him. 

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

that’s what the combine will tell me if he is that

Yeah. His athleticism drills (40, 3cone, shuttle) could really add like 1.5 rounds to his stock and take him from a mid third to a late 1. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

this is higher than I have seen him going, but I he's gonna be a big riser during the process, so it wouldn't surprise me. 

The mock draft has the Bills higher than I see them drafting, so the fit may work out.  

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I would break something if they take a corner. And I would be pretty ticked if they took an edge rusher too, but I would understand it. 

An edge rusher makes more sense here.  The WR class is deep, and getting another short, speedy WR makes little scene.  If Tee Higgins is here, I'd take him.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Oh yeah, he'll be gone in the top 15 picks, just an example. 

As for Claypool, that will be a big knock on him- that and lack of production (though crap QBing can help explain some of that away). The truth is that there just aren't that many 6'3+ 215+ men in the world that are fast enough to run by NFL DB's. There's a short supply of Calvin Johnson's, Mike Evans', and Julio Jones' in the world. So we might not get every attribute that we covet. Give me someone who plays strong, catches what's thrown at him, and is fast enough to make plays at every level, and I'll be happy. 

the "Knock" on Fitz coming out of college was the "speed to separate."   I agree we won't get every attribute.  I think the 40 is overrated.  The ability to run concise routes like Fitz does creates separation, as does being big and catching what is thrown to you.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I'm right there with you... Color me a nerd, but I keep a running Mock offseason in my phone and whenever I'm bored at work or can't sleep, I'll scout players and try to build an offseason that fixes all the Bills problems. I've been doing this for years, and it's a lot more fun when the problems are less, and the draft picks are lower. :P

Aside from not loving large trade ups (more than 5 picks) - I wouldn't hate that. He's gonna be good- He reminds me of Cam Jordan. If we're sitting in the mid 20's and he falls to 15, I wouldn't mind trading up to grab him. 

Yeah. His athleticism drills (40, 3cone, shuttle) could really add like 1.5 rounds to his stock and take him from a mid third to a late 1. 

I would also pick into the WR position group multiple times. As we really only have 2 WRs right now. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I can see Beane making a move similar to the Edmunds trade with Baltimore to nab Epenesa. I’d be supportive. It would effectively finish off our front 7 and put us in a decent spot as Hughes ages. 

All of this is borderline futile without knowing where we’re drafting, who’s declaring for the draft, available FAs, and resigned and tagged players. It’s exciting though. Particularly because this team is close.... We don’t need to pray for home runs for success.  

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

That last sentence. 

A cornerback with our first pick when we have White and Wallace? Geeze. Is that the standard finishing sentence used for every team, or does he actually think we need a corner?

I can see them taking a CB after the first two rounds, not before.  Edge and WR in the first two.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I have a sneaky suspicion that he will the guy if they get a crack at him and want to go WR, and I wouldn't be mad at all. I think Daboll will fall in love with the idea of running him on sweeps, and in the backfield, and moving him around like a chess piece. 

He's definitely a burner, but look at this highlight video:

Look at how many times the ball is hanging in the air between defenders and he goes up and beats them to the catch point. That's contested catches. 

Ridiculous

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, he's 6'1 and 205. That isn't small small. It's not huge, but I think it's easy to get too focused on height. We need a bigger guy, yes, but we need first and foremost, someone who can consistantly make plays. My WR wish list is as follows: 

1- CeeDee Lamb, Oaklahoma

2- Jerry Juedy, Alabama

3- Henry Ruggs, III Alabama

4a- Tee Higgins, Clemson

4b- Laviska Shenault, Colorado 

After that there are a lot of guys with second round grades who I haven't really figured out who I like best.  

This is a great look at the top of the WR class for 2020:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2864432-ranking-the-top-10-wide-receivers-of-potentially-historic-2020-nfl-draft-class

A few years ago, we needed a "big" receiver and chose James Hardy over Desean Jackson.  There's a lesson in there somewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

I would love to see us trade out of the first round and pick up a 2021 1st rounder. 

Something like this?

Bills: 1st + 5th + 6th + 6th

for

2nd, 4th + 2021 1st

We'd have the following picks and still room to maneuver up and down the board.

2nd

2nd

3rd

4th

4th

5th

6th

Also keep an eye out for Denzel Mims... I have a weird hunch he is the WR that we end up with..

Why?

6 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Why?

Why trade back? There is a ton of WR talent, so much so that folks are claiming there are 10+ guys that have first round talent, and we’re picking at the back of the first round so moving back to the second round isn’t a huge deal. 

Picking up a future first allows us to add an impact player next year for cheap... it will become important because we’re not going to be able to resign all of our players forever... going to need to replace through the draft once we starting handing extensions out to core guys like Tre, Poyer, Milano, Edmonds, Allen, Dawkins etc. 

Replace players like Lotulelei, Hughes, Murphy, maybe Hyde (I think he gets a huge pay day from someone else or at least has a chance to). 

Edited by JGMcD2

Just now, JGMcD2 said:

Why trade back? There is a ton of WR talent, so much so that folks are claiming there are 10+ guys that have first round talent, and we’re picking at the back of the first round so moving back to the second round isn’t a huge deal. 

Picking up a future first allows us to add an impact player next year for cheap... it will become important because we’re not going to be able to resign all of our players forever... going to need to replace through the draft once we starting handing extensions out to core guys like Tre, Poyer, Milano, Edmonds, Allen, etc. 

Folks might be “claiming” that but it’s not true. There is a drop off at WR after the top 5 guys. 

Why wouldn’t we want an impact player for cheap this year? We have $90M in space, very few FA’s coming up and you want to punt on the first round to save money? What was the pain of 2018 for if we are gonna try to save cash in 2019?