Clinton Portis, Joe Horn and 10 other former players charged with healthcare fraud

Protocal69

The entire thing is crazy.  Putting in for medical equipment they are not getting.  Bad Karma - plus it could cost future players as the fraud could force the insurance pool to lose its tax exempt status.

Hard to fathom with the amount of money some players make that they have to stoop to this level to get money.  

I hope there is a better explanation out there, but it is such bad optics.

• Like (+1) 1

Several of you probably don’t remember him as he was not that big of a Star in San Diego, or Tampa, but once he left the NFL, the same thing occurred for Michael Bennett.  I knew him very well as he was my direct neighbor for two years.  He squandered his money though, and like others went from wealthy to broke and did the same Medicare fraud for DME products.  The Feds don’t play around when it’s Medicare fraud.

18 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The entire thing is crazy.  Putting in for medical equipment they are not getting.  Bad Karma - plus it could cost future players as the fraud could force the insurance pool to lose its tax exempt status.

Hard to fathom with the amount of money some players make that they have to stoop to this level to get money.  

I know Portis went bankrupt so I’d imagine the others are too.  Now they’re all gonna be blackballed from the league when maybe they could have coached 

For those that prefer some text:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28283020/clinton-portis-surrenders-authorities-fraud-indictment

The players claimed to have purchased hyperbaric oxygen chambers, ultrasound machines and electromagnetic therapy devices that were designed to be used on horses, he said.

Prosecutors say the group's alleged ringleaders, Robert McCune and Correll Buckhalter -- who they allege broke off to create his own similar ring -- would recruit former players by offering to submit fake claims to the health care plan. The ringleaders would then demand thousands of dollars in kickbacks for each fake claim, prosecutors allege.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

arrogance and entitlement since they were 10 years old

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

I know Portis went bankrupt so I’d imagine the others are too.  Now they’re all gonna be blackballed from the league when maybe they could have coached 

One could argue that attention to detail is one of the fundamental characteristics a team might look for in bringing on a coach.  Inability to manage their own personal finances might be an indicator they lack attention to detail. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

It’s not how much you make, it’s how much you spend.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Well when you spend $1M in jewelry and some rented hoes take it money disappears fast.

What is sad is that it to some degree reflects on former players like Kyle Williams, and the many other smart players, who saved their earnings and are living a good life. 

There are many knuckleheads in all in all walks of life.

• Like (+1) 1

Never surprising. If there's an opportunity, some will try to manipulate the system. Human nature.

For whatever reason, I found it kind of odd to see Correll Buckhalter and Tamarick Vanover on the list. These guys were legends in college. Correll could have found plenty of legal hustles in Lincoln and same for Vanover in Tallahassee. But I digress. 

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Is the NFLPA retirement pension a pretty sweet deal?  Why try to put a scam like this?