Week 15: Bills at Steelers on SNF

YoloinOhio

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2019/film-room-steelers-defense

Based on this analysis - Gore needs to be deactivated this week, Yeldon should take his place.  They allow running backs to slip into the flat and dare you to throw it to them - they're fine with giving up a 4-5 yard swing pass.  We need to stay patient and take advantage of that, and Yeldon offers far more upside as a receiver out of the backfield.

I repeat: there is ZERO REASON Gore should be active this week, he adds nothing to the gameplan against that kind of defense.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Based on this analysis - Gore needs to be deactivated this week, Yeldon should take his place.  They allow running backs to slip into the flat and dare you to throw it to them - they're fine with giving up a 4-5 yard swing pass.  We need to stay patient and take advantage of that, and Yeldon offers far more upside as a receiver out of the backfield.

I repeat: there is ZERO REASON Gore should be active this week, he adds nothing to the gameplan against that kind of defense.

The other thing I noticed is that they typically allow an offense to use their slot defender as a key. If Daboll and Josh have picked up on that tendency and can get comfortable with it, the hot throws will be there all game long.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The other thing I noticed is that they typically allow an offense to use their slot defender as a key. If Daboll and Josh have picked up on that tendency and can get comfortable with it, the hot throws will be there all game long.

That, and you need to spread out the defenders.  If they try to go heavy with the max protect and bunch formations like they did last week, we'll likely see much of the same results.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I would try to get Mark Barron into bad matchups. He’s been gross this year. 

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Which defense does he add anything against? His fresh legs wore off by week 3, he is toast. 

On 12/9/2019 at 12:16 PM, CommonCents said:

An easy game? Allen Josh got slammed around for the better part of 3 quarters. The Steelers are even better at getting the QB.

I can assure you, no one at OBD is expecting any easy one this week. 

Yep. This looks like a 6-3-type game, unless there are turnovers, which the Steelers defense excels at, incidentally. It's a real test of the offense. The book on Allen, written by the Pats* and reinscribed by the Ravens, is open for anyone to read. Cheat the safeties in close to the LOS, since Allen can't hit the deep routes, and mix up the constant blitzes. I hope Daboll has them practicing screens and hot reads. 

13 minutes ago, finn said:

Yep. This looks like a 6-3-type game, unless there are turnovers, which the Steelers defense excels at, incidentally. It's a real test of the offense. The book on Allen, written by the Pats* and reinscribed by the Ravens, is open for anyone to read. Cheat the safeties in close to the LOS, since Allen can't hit the deep routes, and mix up the constant blitzes. I hope Daboll has them practicing screens and hot reads. 

not every team can execute the Book that the Ravens and NE put out there though. In fact, they are likely the only two teams in the league who CAN execute it. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PaattMaann said:

not every team can execute the Book that the Ravens and NE put out there though. In fact, they are likely the only two teams in the league who CAN execute it. 

How so, the Steelers have a better front 7 than both of them. Play everything underneath force Allen to beat you over the top. It doesn’t hurt have Minkah running around out there either. 

This game is big chance for Allen and company to prove themselves against a top D. 

Outside of Duck Dynasty I think the Steelers match up against the Bills better than the Pats do. 

6 minutes ago, finn said:

Teams have been blitzing Allen since the Pats game, but it wasn't until Sunday that his long ball issues seriously impacted the offense.  Not everyone has Baltimore or New England's secondary.  Allen has to be better though or we will continue to be susceptible to teams stacking the box and flooding the short to intermediate routes.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

How so, the Steelers have a better front 7 than both of them. Play everything underneath force Allen to beat you over the top. It doesn’t hurt have Minkah running around out there either. 

This game is big chance for Allen and company to prove themselves against a top D. 

Outside of Duck Dynasty I think the Steelers match up against the Bills better than the Pats do. 

the how so is you need the BACK END to hold up to a cover 0...and you need to run a lot of man defense. The steelers dont have either of that. I expect them to run their usual zone coverages (defenses Josh and the Offense have done well against) but also adding in some LB/slot blitzes. Way different than what the ravens/pats did to us. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The history is tough to review, but it doesn’t mean much. There are only two players, and zero coaches on this team who even played the Steelers last time they met 3 years ago, let alone 20 years ago. While this current team has never played on SNF, many of the players have on other teams before coming to the Bills and have experienced success. If the Bills lose it will have nothing to do with the history of the Steelers or SNF. 

I'm not saying I don't think we'll win. I just found it interesting that we haven't beaten them since Kordell Stewart was their QB

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I'm not saying I don't think we'll win. I just found it interesting that we haven't beaten them since Kordell Stewart was their QB

Yep, They’ve been good for a long time and we haven’t

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

But, I thought the seasons focus was to get him higher up on the all-time rb yards list. Are we supposed to actually try and win?!

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That, and you need to spread out the defenders.  If they try to go heavy with the max protect and bunch formations like they did last week, we'll likely see much of the same results.

Yeah, the problem with max protect vs. cover 0 is that when a TE doesn’t go out on a pattern the guy who would be covering him almost always blitzes. They’re almost always going to have a man advantage in the blitz game. I’d rather spread them out and give Josh more room to move around in the pocket (or run) while also giving him more options to throw to.

• Like (+1) 1

Since I have $0 FAAB left, I'm forced to start the Steelers defense against us in the second leg of my fantasy football championship this weekend...so rejoice! The Bills are definitely putting up 40+ points! ?

Would sacrifice the $350 prize money in a heartbeat if it meant the Bills would win in a stress-free blowout and clinch the playoff spot!

9 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Since I have $0 FAAB left, I'm forced to start the Steelers defense against us in the second leg of my fantasy football championship this weekend...so rejoice! The Bills are definitely putting up 40+ points! ?

Would sacrifice the $350 prize money in a heartbeat if it meant the Bills would win in a stress-free blowout and clinch the playoff spot!

Forced?  That's a good play, but hopefully it doesn't work out.

• Like (+1) 1