Why wasn't Duke Williams active?

HailMary

On 12/14/2019 at 11:48 AM, NoSaint said:

right but when you post the exception to the rule and ignore why he was the exception it doesn’t do much in furthering the conversation 

I posted about 8 exceptions actually, and I can keep going. My argument is that there's no real cut-off for an acceptable 40 time, let alone it being 4.72, as history shows,. This is further based off the argument  that jrober just regularly makes stuff up to trash Bills players. 

He flat out said 4.72 is too slow to make it as a WR in the NFL. This is completely false.

Edited by Nelius

2 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I posted about 8 exceptions actually, and I can keep going. My argument is that there's no real cut-off for an acceptable 40 time, let alone it being 4.72, as history shows,. This is further based off the argument  that jrober just regularly makes stuff up to trash Bills players. 

I'll wait for the list of 4.3 burners that made the Hall of Fame.

Realistically you don't have to run a 4.3 to be a burner.. anything in the 4.40s in insanely fast

4.5s are still average NFL WR speed and they still run 15-20 mph at that speed

And the game is changing a bit. 40 times aren't end all be all but unless you are an insanely crafty route runner you better have good speed to seperate.  There aren't alot of guys with Keenan Allen's route running abilities

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Realistically you don't have to run a 4.3 to be a burner.. anything in the 4.40s in insanely fast

And the game is changing a bit. 40 times aren't end all be all but unless you are an insanely crafty route runner you better have good speed to seperate.  There aren't alot of guys with Keenan Allen's route running abilities

Look I get it and I'll stop so as to not hijack. This isn't about Duke as he runs like a block of wood, but it's just completely false to say that 4.72 in general is too slow when some of the best ever ran in 4.6-4.8 territory. 

Edited by Nelius

17 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Holy crap this thread is still going? And up to 13 pages. Madness I tell you, madness. Hopefully he’s active tonight so this can die. 

It will never die...?

Go Bills!!!

16 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Look I get it and I'll stop so as to not hijack. This isn't about Duke as he runs like a block of wood, but it's just completely false to say that 4.72 in general is too slow when some of the best ever ran in 4.6-4.8 territory. 

That's true but the game is changing. I would wager that there aren't going to be many 4.7 guys who are tearing the the league in a few years

But change of pace and crispness of change of direction can make up for speed

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Duke Williams sucks. Brandon Reilly sucks. That one tall 7th rounder sucks. Marcus Easley sucks. 

Every single one of these clowns got propped up year after year after year for some bizarre reason. They suck. 

Da’Rick is making a comeback next season you watch and see. 

9 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I would love to see Duke active again but I think this coaching staff likes to double down on their illogical decisions.  Hope I'm wrong but I don't even know if we see him again.

pfff hahahaha yeah it’s the coaches being illogical about Duke. That’s a new one.

Two words : stevie Johnson 

This guy played on the practice squad and fans called for him to play. It was the same argument. Fans calling for Johnson to play and jauron never putting him on the field. Chan Gailey came in and he was a 1000 yard reciever for 3 years. Point is, this is why fans call for guys like Duke williams. I've never thought Duke was a 1000 yard reciever, but like I've argued before, he's a bigger target for the red zone and those short passes 10 yards down the sideline. At this point I'm all for it with mckenzie not being a huge factor in games 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Two words : stevie Johnson 

This guy played on the practice squad and fans called for him to play. It was the same argument. Fans calling for Johnson to play and jauron never putting him on the field. Chan Gailey came in and he was a 1000 yard reciever for 3 years. Point is, this is why fans call for guys like Duke williams. I've never thought Duke was a 1000 yard reciever, but like I've argued before, he's a bigger target for the red zone and those short passes 10 yards down the sideline. At this point I'm all for it with mckenzie not being a huge factor in games 

If we're going with that era, I would argue that Duke could be our David Nelson.  Those first couple seasons he caught everything thrown his way despite not being much good at separating.  Eventually the catch rate fell off, and the injury sealed his deal, but he was an important part of the Gailey-Fitz offense.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

4.5’s are average for a pro. I ran a 4.52 in ninth grade, 25 years ago for crying out loud. Playing sega and drinking pop. 4.4’s is fast. 4.3’s is elite.

4 minutes ago, SJDK said:

4.5’s are average for a pro. I ran a 4.52 in ninth grade, 25 years ago for crying out loud. Playing sega and drinking pop. 4.4’s is fast. 4.3’s is elite.

That's easy to say from the couch as I ran a 4.45 in college ball but real game speed is totally different and always has been

Josh Allen ran in the 4.6s or 4.7s and would smoke you and probably me ,he runs 20 + mph on some runs

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1