Jump to content
YoloinOhio

McDermott on scouting Lamar Pre Draft

Recommended Posts

Pretty sure the word was Lamar wasn’t even on their board

 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pretty sure the word was Lamar wasn’t even on their board

 

 

I'm trying to figure out why Twitter has this tabbed as "potentially sensitive material" and why Dan Kadars thinks this is some kind of sensitive material?

McDermott and Beane wanted a pocket passer.  They didn't want to tailor an offense to Tyrod Tailor, and they didn't want to tailor an offense for Lamar Jackson.

McDermott doesn't want to say anything bad implying that Lamar can't function as a pocket passer, which like Russ Wilson, is a trait he may develop.

Why is this so sensitive?

 

I swear people looking for controversy.

 

image.thumb.png.dc464e5f767670091116a856d19275e9.png

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pretty sure the word was Lamar wasn’t even on their board

 

So much of this is hersay...

 

The Bills DID meet with Lamar at the combine and people are trying to stir up controversy

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the draft thing, in context, it was clear Jackson was talking about a pre-draft visit or private workout.  The Bills did not have him in on a pre-draft visit or set up a private workout with him.

 

He said he had met with the Bills at the Combine.

 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/4/25/17281012/lamar-jackson-i-have-not-met-with-the-buffalo-bills-2018-nfl-draft-quarterback

 

" What makes the situation even more confusing is that Jackson himself previously stated that he met with Bills brass during the NFL Combine in February. The Combine meeting was extensive enough for the quarterback to have to watch film and draw up plays on the white board. So, either Jackson doesn’t consider an NFL Combine interview to be a “meeting” or he simply forgot. "

 

So both McDermott and Lamar Jackson are speaking the truth (in context).  There is no controversy here.

  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks! (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to me 30 other teams passed on Lamar as well....even the great and venerable Hoody. Some folks need to put their Twitter on pause and think about the asinine comments. 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real test will be 2-3 years from now. Will Jackson go the way of other mobile QBs like RG3 and Kaep, wherein defenses figure out how to stop them -- or will he continue to develop and evolve as an upper echelon QB (a la Russell Wilson)?

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

It seems to me 30 other teams passed on Lamar as well....even the great and venerable Hoody. Some folks need to put their Twitter on pause and think about the asinine comments. 

I think the point was that there were certain teams that “really” passed on him who obviously were going to take a QB - Cleveland, jets, cards, bills. 

 

When that pic that was circulated of the Bills pre-draft QB board, he was not on it. I wonder if they shied away from considering him with that huge decision because he couldn’t be brought in for a workout or meeting at the facility because he didn’t have an agent and his mom didn’t answer the phone. I could see McD being so process oriented that he couldn’t fathom only getting a 15 min convo at the combine and using that to make the biggest decision of their tenure. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I swear people looking for controversy.

 Between this and the Peloton commercial who even has time for impeachment hearings 😂

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

 Between this and the Peloton commercial who even has time for impeachment hearings 😂

I was aware of the stupid Peloton commercial because it's been playing on Hulu, but I didn't know there was a controversy. I had to Google it. Thanks for that moment of entertainment. 😆

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait.....is somebody trying to create some drama?

 

The bills were in on Josh Allen from the beginning......there IMHO was NO other QB that they wanted or ranked as highly.....and they were right to do so.

 

I am happy for Lamar Jackson and I liked him before the draft.......but were good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the point was that there were certain teams that “really” passed on him who obviously were going to take a QB - Cleveland, jets, cards, bills. 

 

When that pic that was circulated of the Bills pre-draft QB board, he was not on it. I wonder if they shied away from considering him with that huge decision because he couldn’t be brought in for a workout or meeting at the facility because he didn’t have an agent and his mom didn’t answer the phone. I could see McD being so process oriented that he couldn’t fathom only getting a 15 min convo at the combine and using that to make the biggest decision of their tenure. 

 

I missed this "pic of the Bills pre-draft QB board" thing.  Can you say more please?

 

Do we have any evidence that the Bills wanted to bring him i for a pre-draft workout or meeting and couldn't?

 

When Baltimore made up their minds to draft Lamar, the word is that Harbaugh laid it out: "if we draft him, we're going to tailor our offense for him and build around him".  And they did.  There was a guy here who was sharing a bunch of Instagram videos with me from Lamar Jackson that were very strange.  They didn't entirely make sense pre-draft unless Lamar and his mother were in fact trying to see that he fell a bit and went to the "right" team, an established team that would build around him and give him his best shot.  They may have been crazy like foxes.

 

I think McD wanted a QB who could develop as a pocket passer.  I believe they (and Allen!) had no idea he would be able to run as successfully in the NFL as he does; they were looking at him as the high-ceiling boom-or-bust pocket passer they could maneuver high enough in the draft to snag.  I think earlier this season, Daboll had firm instructions to push Allen's development as a passing QB and limit his runs.  It wasn't until they lost the Browns game (a game they should have run) that it became "Play Fearless".

 

I agree that McDermott had a closed mind about drafting Lamar Jackson, but I believe the lock on the closed door was "not our best choice as a pocket passer - move along".

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

It seems to me 30 other teams passed on Lamar as well....even the great and venerable Hoody. Some folks need to put their Twitter on pause and think about the asinine comments. 

Isn't he also still a second year QB?  Does anyone remember the 2015 version of Nick Foles?  An offensive coordinator got hot with Foles.  Greg Roman (who we all know is limited) is HOT right now with Lamar Jackson.  Foles had 25 touchdowns to 2 - that's right, only TWO interceptions in a season with a hot offensive coordinator.  Let me remind you that Foles was just benched for Gardner Minchew.  Lamar will come down to earth, and when he does, there will be flashes of LAST year's playoff Lamar Jackson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I was aware of the stupid Peloton commercial because it's been playing on Hulu, but I didn't know there was a controversy. I had to Google it. Thanks for that moment of entertainment. 😆

 

I just did the same! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I missed this "pic of the Bills pre-draft QB board" thing.  Can you say more please?

 

Do we have any evidence that the Bills wanted to bring him i for a pre-draft workout or meeting and couldn't?

The leaked pic was taken by someone who provided Bills credentials and made the rounds on both twitter and this board multiple times, though I don’t have it saved to post here. 

 

The Reports were that teams in general were having a difficult time getting ahold of Lamar Jackson to schedule predraft meetings because he didn’t have an agent . So either  the Bills couldn’t get ahold of him, or chose not bring him in. They brought in every other QB (and flew out to see Sam). 

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/05/lamar-jackson-continues-to-be-a-tough-guy-to-track-down/

Edited by YoloinOhio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We drafted the wrong Josh

 

Image result for laurel and hardy gif
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The leaked pic was taken by someone who provided Bills credentials and made the rounds on both twitter and this board multiple times, though I don’t have it saved to post here. 

 

The Reports were that teams in general were having a difficult time getting ahold of Lamar Jackson to schedule predraft meetings because he didn’t have an agent. Either the Bills couldn’t get ahold of him, or chose not bring him in. They brought in every other QB (and flew out to see Sam)

 

Oh, I'm hosed then - I can never find anything when I search the archives here.  Though if you remember someone who posted it I may be able to pull it that way.

 

I remember those reports, also remember Lamar's camp denying that.  It actually wouldn't surprise me if his mother and he made a strategic decision that they didn't want him going to just any team, especially to a bad team that was drafting high.  Coming off a playoff win and having to trade up, though, I would have thought they'd at least want to talk to the Bills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

The real test will be 2-3 years from now. Will Jackson go the way of other mobile QBs like RG3 and Kaep, wherein defenses figure out how to stop them -- or will he continue to develop and evolve as an upper echelon QB (a la Russell Wilson)?

 

 

..that my friend is a dead on assessment and a fair one....nicely done......:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:
 

 

 

Who is this clown of a troll Allen hater and why post his drivel?

 

He posted this describing himself.

Quote

Overthrowing receivers, all over Western New York

The moron even tweeted this,

just another ignorant Allen hater, **** him.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Who cares? 

 

That Hamburg dude.....LMAO. Loser.

 

Looks like the Hamburg dude has a Throw over his head.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Who cares? 

 

That Hamburg dude.....LMAO. Loser.

That twitter handle though “Hamburg Overhead Throws 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...