mykidsdad

Where do we find our next playmaker on offense? I'm not seeing a lot of options for the offseason.

Lot of receivers in this draft you didnt mention 

Lamb 

Ruggs 

Kid from Minnesota 

Claypool from ND 

Colin johnson from texas 

Just to name a few more 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

The Bills have already changed from being a crappy team, and will continue that change if they don’t piss away every dime. Any smart team keeps some in reserve. 

Maybe they are, but then again ...

In 2017, the Jags came out of nowhere (3-13 in 2016) to win the AFC South with a 10-6 record and eventually go to the AFC Conference Championship where they lost to eventual SB Champion Patriots.  They went 5-11 in 2018 and are currently 4-8.

In 2008, the Dolphins went 11-5 and won the AFCE after going 1-15 the previous year.  They didn't have another winning season until 2016 when they went 10-6 and made the WC after which they sank back to their losing ways.  This year they've got 3 wins.

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Maybe they are, but then again ...

In 2017, the Jags came out of nowhere (3-13 in 2016) to win the AFC South with a 10-6 record and eventually go to the AFC Conference Championship where they lost to eventual SB Champion Patriots.  They went 5-11 in 2018 and are currently 4-8.

In 2008, the Dolphins went 11-5 and won the AFCE after going 1-15 the previous year.  They didn't have another winning season until 2016 when they went 10-6 and made the WC after which they sank back to their losing ways.  This year they've got 3 wins.

Frankly I don’t give a rats azs about those teams, they had there own financial and management issues that kept them from continued success.  BB & SM are trying to not go down the road of the flash in the pan type teams, I think that is pretty obvious by the way they conduct team business. They are in it for the long haul as it were. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think AJ Green would be a solid add for us, on a reasonable deal. No way he'll command what he'd get based on his first 7 seasons, after missing the last year & a half. Ih healthy, he still has another 3 seasons as a WR1.  We still draft a WR in round 1 or 2, and  AJ fills that gap while the young WR develops.This is exactly the type of move we need.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

I hope we do something GREAT this year, but I still have this nagging feeling we’re a playmaker or two away from being a true contender. I think we need to sign as many of our productive players as we can, including Philips. We also need to draft a corner and build some depth, BUT to me I feel our biggest jump can take place if we add a dynamic number one type wide receiver. I’m trying to think about who that can be, and I’m stumped. It looks like there may NOT be a lot of great options this offseason. I’m just not seeing a lot of eye popping talent. 

These are the best WR options that may come available: 

NFL FREE AGENTS

Amari Cooper (Dallas may lock him up)

Robby Anderson (not a true number one)

AJ Green (too old?)

DRAFT

Jerry Jeudy, ALABAMA (1st rounder, probably gone before we pick)

Jalen Reagor, TCU (probably a good chance of grabbing in the 1st)

Antonio Gandy-Golden, LU (2nd or 3rd rounder)

If we are serious about adding a playmaker we may need to think long and hard about trading for someone. I’m convinced we are a playmaker away from having a top 10 Offense/Defense combination. Who might come available? Fuller in Houston maybe? Diggs or Thielen in Minnesota? And would we want to spend the capitol on a deal? Are there any players or scenarios I’m missing?, ether by way of draft or FA or even trade? I feel like we’re coming into all of this cap space without a lot of good options to spend it on.

You can find top notch WR in all different rounds. Antonio Brown was a 5th rounder, Stefon Diggs was a 5th round pick, Adam Theilen was an undrafted rookie FA, they can be found all over and Beane is pretty darn good at drafting so there should be no need to go and trade assets when we should be able to find our guy somewhere in the draft imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

Didn't we have this conversation LAST offseason?  Where are we going to get O linemen?  Any O playmakers?  No one wants to play in Buffalo!  The Coach claps too much!  The sky is falling!  

It's worked out OK so far, so maybe we let this off-season play out a bit (you know, once we get there)...

We will attempt to buy one player this offseason - Edge or WR with a front loaded contract and draft the other in RD1. 

Bills win on Thanksgiving, move to 9-3, and some fans are anxious over WR options that won't be known for months.

It ain't healthy to worry so much. 

Everything will be fine. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

We will attempt to buy one player this offseason - Edge or WR with a front loaded contract and draft the other in RD1. 

Pretty much how I see it being done.

5 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

We have some coin wrapped up in Beasley, Brown, and Kroft. Drafting one may be a better option. Cooper is a damn good receiver but the price tag may be too high.

You are probably right, but it is fun to dream.  Copper would look great in Bill's blue scoring td catches from Josh.

40 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I think they will go Edge. There is no more overrated high price player than the WR1.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I think they will go Edge. There is no more overrated high price player than the WR1.  

Von Miller (doubful, but if he does back up the Brinks truck), Shaq Barrett & Cooper are the 3 I go hard after. I may consider AJ green on a 3yr deal that lets me out after year 2 (gives us a way to groom a rookie WR for a season or 2). What makes WR a little difficult is that we are expecting the WRs to make coverage reads and adjust their routes - which could take a rookie WR a season or 2 to learn and become in-sync with the rest of the WRs, & Allen. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

I want zero part of this. Wait another year for Foster?? Waiting for Zay’s lightbulb was bad enough. 

don’t disagree with your question .... my point is, I’m not sure there’s a FA worth throwing big money at? ..... maybe Cooper, if not ridiculous, but no one else that I see 

Edited by CSBill

I can't see McD wanting to pay big free agent $$ to bring in another WR, or anyone for that matter. It's just not how these guys do things. It sends the wrong message. Besides, our current group of skill guys are pretty good -- underrated even, especially on this board. Think we make moves around the edges instead, and replenish via the draft.   

The Bills don’t need AJ Green any longer. DE and WR would seem to be our two biggest needs going into next season. Not sure you need to do anything regarding the OL other than additional depth. Need a power RB and LB depth in the later rounds. I would be surprised if they don’t focus on keeping our own players (Shaq and Phillips) this offseason. Excited to see us winning while BUILDING a contender. All Bills fans should be pumped about the present and the future!

Now go win the division this year! 

• Like (+1) 1

Give me Roby Anderson on a contract similar to what Tyrell Williams got. 
Then hammer the draft with picks in the front four. We need dts and defensive ends next year 

Murphy should be cut

Shaq a free agent 

Jerry getting up there in age

Phillips a free agent. 

31 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

You are probably right, but it is fun to dream.  Copper would look great in Bill's blue scoring td catches from Josh.

He is definitely elite thats for sure- plus he is in his prime. 

1 hour ago, Jerboski said:

Lot of receivers in this draft you didnt mention 

Lamb 

Ruggs 

Kid from Minnesota 

Claypool from ND 

Colin johnson from texas 

Just to name a few more 

Yeah, I could see a Julio esque Trade going down for CeeDee Lamb. He reminds me of a faster DeAndre Hopkins  

the first 50 seconds of this video he shows you everything you want to see in a true #1. His ball skills are transcendent, he is going to catch everything thrown to him.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

The Bills don’t need AJ Green any longer. DE and WR would seem to be our two biggest needs going into next season. Not sure you need to do anything regarding the OL other than additional depth. Need a power RB and LB depth in the later rounds. I would be surprised if they don’t focus on keeping our own players (Shaq and Phillips) this offseason. Excited to see us winning while BUILDING a contender. All Bills fans should be pumped about the present and the future!

Now go win the division this year! 

WR is interesting, as I let the new Cover1 article marinate a bit, the video a few weeks ago with Allen & JK, etc. one reason why I think Zay was shipped out was that he was unable to make the coverage reads and adjust his route and get on the same page as Josh. The WR that we draft (we will draft at least one), will need to not only have speed and other athletic measurables (and some height), he will need to be able to read a D, adjust and know all of his route trees. It may very well be advantageous for us to bring in Green on a 3-ish year deal and a way out in the back-end. It allows us time to groom and develop the WR so when he is ready to hit the field full-time and the learning curve will be a lot shorter and we won't have to depend on him too much while he develops. 

• Like (+1) 2

It was weird watching the game last night and seeing that flex notice pop up.  It kinda felt like, the first time in a very long time that the Bills are "wanted" for something.

40 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

WR is interesting, as I let the new Cover1 article marinate a bit, the video a few weeks ago with Allen & JK, etc. one reason why I think Zay was shipped out was that he was unable to make the coverage reads and adjust his route and get on the same page as Josh. The WR that we draft (we will draft at least one), will need to not only have speed and other athletic measurables (and some height), he will need to be able to read a D, adjust and know all of his route trees. It may very well be advantageous for us to bring in Green on a 3-ish year deal and a way out in the back-end. It allows us time to groom and develop the WR so when he is ready to hit the field full-time and the learning curve will be a lot shorter and we won't have to depend on him too much while he develops. 

I like this thought Reed. This class is deep in WRs. My thought on a playmaker the Bills could use is Jonathan Taylor. Him and Motor could be the Thurman/Kenny Davis combo. Green, Smoke, Beasley, Knox and don't sleep Sweeney. Draft a receiver like a Mims later to learn from Smoke/Green. Taylor would be an immediate impact. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think that DE is our top priority, WR is # 2.

It helps that this upcoming draft is loaded talent at WR. The Bills do not have to use a first round pick on one.

The Bills have another great opportunity this off season to improve the roster even more. Although I believe they will be re-signing most of their own players instead of adding more newcomers.

But, we are still a ways from that, so I'm not as concerned about it. Although it is fun to speculate.

This team is going in the right direction.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

It’s all about value. A top DE makes Shaq and Murphy expendable. If I had to bet I’d put money on Beane going after a value veteran WR to pair with Brown and a rookie WR, pay for a DE and let Shaq and/ Murphy walk, or sign a pass rushing LBer to replace Alexander when he retires. I have faith. 

Who are we cutting in your scenario?  Foster or McKenzie?

Brown

Beasley

Draft Pick/FA

Foster

McKenzie

Roberts

I like the looks of that WR unit.  I would just bring in one... FA or Draft Pick.

Edited by SCBills

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Who are we cutting in your scenario?  Foster or McKenzie?

Brown

Beasley

Draft Pick/FA

Foster

McKenzie

Roberts

I like the looks of that WR unit.  I would just bring in one... FA or Draft Pick.

As the roster stands Foster and McKenzie can be improved upon and Roberts gets the return spot. Kroft, Lee, and Sweeney aren’t all needed. Plus the bottom of the roster is always churning.... Yeldon, Perry, etc can all be replaced. You upgrade when and where you can. 

• Thanks! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

As the roster stands Foster and McKenzie can be improved upon and Roberts gets the return spot. Kroft, Lee, and Sweeney aren’t all needed. Plus the bottom of the roster is always churning.... Yeldon, Perry, etc can all be replaced. You upgrade when and where you can. 

I just wouldn't.  At least not Foster.  He's way too electrifying in his potential for me to move on from him, especially in a scenario next year where he would be the 4th WR.

McKenzie I could be swayed either way, although as a gadget player/5th WR, he'd be in the position he should be on this team.

I just can't see us investing in more than one WR this offseason with either FA $$$ or a high draft pick.  We run 11 personnel most of the time.  It's not like we're going 4/5 wide with all WR's.   

One WR is needed.  Two is overkill, IMO.

Edited by SCBills