The curious case of Jared Goff...

Big Turk

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

I remember a lot of people on here praising the Rams for their approach. Trade your picks, go all in now, blah, blah, blah. Now the flaw in that is being exposed. Yes, they had a couple year run, but they have been irresponsible with their cap and have stunted their growth in the future with the lack of day 1 and even day 2 picks. They gave us a 2nd for Watkins and let him walk. Now they gave up two 1st's and a 4th for a guy who holds all the leverage at the end of this year. If they were smart they would have kept Peters and Talib, rode out the season, and would have had much more flexibility while still retaining those high end picks. Some FO's are so short sighted that they make rash decisions and the Rams are the epitome of buyer's remorse at the moment.  

I think that their big error was the two firsts and a fourth for Ramsey.  No DB is worth that because DBs aren't game changers and every year great DBs come out of the draft which isn't the case with great QBs or great pass rushers, who are.   It's why I think passing on the opportunity to draft a top QB prospect in 2017 to take a DB was a major mistake that will haunt the Bills going forward. 

Just now, matter2003 said:

Ramsey agreed not to holdout as part of the trade

he "promised" - even so... no extension would hit the books in 2020 anyway, all the new money would be 2021 and beyond.  

He didn't promise not to hold out if tagged - that much i am certain of.

Just now, SoTier said:

I think that their big error was the two firsts and a fourth for Ramsey.  No DB is worth that because DBs aren't game changers and every year great DBs come out of the draft which isn't the case with great QBs or great pass rushers, who are.   It's why I think passing on the opportunity to draft a top QB prospect in 2017 to take a DB was a major mistake that will haunt the Bills going forward. 

Good corners are important but i think 2 firsts and a 4th is quite a lot of compensation for any non-QB.  It's basically like trading for a top 5 pick... and paying him the most at his position because you only got 1 cheap year.

Edited by dneveu

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

I think the Ramsey trade was a short-sighted mistake as well. They have surely stunted the growth of their team by the fact they don't have those picks. Beane wasn't here for the 2017 draft, it was Whaley and McDermott. The following year Beane and McDermott got their QB. They didn't trade back for a DB, they traded back for a future 1st Round pick and they happened to select White at the position they traded back to which was #27. I'd say #27 has certainly lived up to his draft position and then some. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Goff looks like a QB that is about to flame out after a good first two years under McVay.

In the article they basically say Goff can only succeed with high end talent around him and a very good OLine and that he struggles when he doesn't have this.

Rams might need to move on from Goff but they are kind of stuck with him after giving him a big contract extension...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jared-goff-regression-heres-exactly-whats-gone-wrong-for-rams-and-their-highly-paid-quarterback/amp/

He was exposed by Bill Bellichek. Goff can't read a defense (but McVay can) and he was basically telling him where to throw every play, that plus most of the successful gains came off play action and runs so teams stack 6 up front on early downs and cover the play action on the backend. Now everyone has copied it

It's the problem with paying for a non-elite QB. The market dictates that average...even below average guys get paid at the top of the market if they have any success which turns around and prevents them from being surrounded by the type of talent they had when they were on their rookie deal which then goes to show that they were below average to average.

Teams are in the terrible position of having to pay them though because without a QB, you're sunk and taking the risk that you can get similar production from someone else is too much of a risk with jobs on the line. 

Edited by jeremy2020

42 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Both Goff and McVay have been overrated for a while. 

Agreed Bellicheck, actually Matt Patricia, exposed him and his run/play-action approach, that everyone has copied. McVay hasn't been able to counter.

here's a great article on it.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/super-bowl-53-bill-belichick-gameplan-genius

Edited by BuffaloSol
add link
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, H2o said:

I remember a lot of people on here praising the Rams for their approach. Trade your picks, go all in now, blah, blah, blah. Now the flaw in that is being exposed. Yes, they had a couple year run, but they have been irresponsible with their cap and have stunted their growth in the future with the lack of day 1 and even day 2 picks. They gave us a 2nd for Watkins and let him walk. Now they gave up two 1st's and a 4th for a guy who holds all the leverage at the end of this year. If they were smart they would have kept Peters and Talib, rode out the season, and would have had much more flexibility while still retaining those high end picks. Some FO's are so short sighted that they make rash decisions and the Rams are the epitome of buyer's remorse at the moment.  

Wonderfully said.

There was a lot of criticism of Beane not using this approach.  These posters are silent now.

Rams window shut so fast the bugs didn't even get in!

95 million in cap for 4 players next year is just foolish.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think people (including some of the players apparently) don't appreciate the degree to which success at pro-football is all absorbing and requires complete dedication during the season.

If you're talented and partying and come in to watch film and practice hung over, you're just not gonna do as well as the guy who is talented, logs a sound night's sleep, and puts extra time in the film room.  Because the talent differential just is not all that large.

To be fair, that looks like a very sketch website. I wouldn't put much stock in it.

2 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Ryan Tannehill 2.0

Tannehill is looking pretty good in Tennessee right now...sometimes a change of scenery and a better gameplan is all you need maybe?

Edited by matter2003

How many QBs are there that have proven they can take a mediocre supporting cast and take it the playoffs? SB? Win it?

I would venture a guess like very few, 3 or 4 currently, and even with them can you win a Super Bowl.  I mean guys like Wilson, Rodgers and Brees right now maybe...Brady not anymore. Mahomes, Jackson and Prescott? they look good but we have no idea yet, they've had tremendous support. Even the really elite guys, have any of them done more than get a team to the playoffs with a mediocre supporting cast. Usually, when they win they have great supporting casts.

I think the term elite might better be applied to a QB who can get a mediocre team to the playoffs. The elite QB who makes the mediocre roster "better" enough to win a SB seems pretty elusive to me.

29 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

How many QBs are there that have proven they can take a mediocre supporting cast and take it the playoffs? SB? Win it?

I would venture a guess like very few, 3 or 4 currently, and even with them can you win a Super Bowl.  I mean guys like Wilson, Rodgers and Brees right now maybe...Brady not anymore. Mahomes, Jackson and Prescott? they look good but we have no idea yet, they've had tremendous support. Even the really elite guys, have any of them done more than get a team to the playoffs with a mediocre supporting cast. Usually, when they win they have great supporting casts.

I think the term elite might better be applied to a QB who can get a mediocre team to the playoffs. The elite QB who makes the mediocre roster "better" enough to win a SB seems pretty elusive to me.

Rodgers looked awful the year Nelson went down and Cobb was injured for good portions of it...

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Not really...elite QBs make everyone around them better. Goff needs elite players around him to be better. Huge difference.

We're starting to see the Jeff Fisher version of Goff lately. Nobody is beating Baltimore/ Lamar right now.  The Rams will get enough wins to make the playoffs now that Cooks and Woods are back. Gurley made Goff look great and Gurley is declining.