The curious case of Jared Goff...

Big Turk

6 hours ago, H2o said:

I think the Ramsey trade was a short-sighted mistake as well. They have surely stunted the growth of their team by the fact they don't have those picks. Beane wasn't here for the 2017 draft, it was Whaley and McDermott. The following year Beane and McDermott got their QB. They didn't trade back for a DB, they traded back for a future 1st Round pick and they happened to select White at the position they traded back to which was #27. I'd say #27 has certainly lived up to his draft position and then some. 

The 2017 draft was on McDermott because by then Whaley was out of the picture (he was fired the day after the draft).  My suspicion -- I have no evidence -- is that Whaley and McDermott clashed over the first round pick -- Whaley wanting either Mahomes or Watson  and McDermott wanting White -- and obviously McDermott won.  Maybe it works out with Allen but most first round QBs don't become elite or even excellent NFL QBs and about half of them bust, so the missed opportunity to take Mahomes or Watson is likely to be another woulda/shoulda/coulda in Bills history.  When you have the opportunity to grab a great prospect, you can't afford to pass unless you already have your franchise QB on your roster.

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The 2017 draft was on McDermott because by then Whaley was out of the picture (he was fired the day after the draft).  My suspicion -- I have no evidence -- is that Whaley and McDermott clashed over the first round pick -- Whaley wanting either Mahomes or Watson  and McDermott wanting White -- and obviously McDermott won.  Maybe it works out with Allen but most first round QBs don't become elite or even excellent NFL QBs and about half of them bust, so the missed opportunity to take Mahomes or Watson is likely to be another woulda/shoulda/coulda in Bills history.  When you have the opportunity to grab a great prospect, you can't afford to pass unless you already have your franchise QB on your roster.

How could McDermott possibly know that White would be there @ #27, 17 picks from where we originally were slated? It's not like we drafted Mahomes and then traded him to KC once KC picked White. KC moved up, picked Mahomes, we got their 1st Round pick in 2018, and obviously White was the top rated player on their board @ #27. 

6 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

It's the problem with paying for a non-elite QB. The market dictates that average...even below average guys get paid at the top of the market if they have any success which turns around and prevents them from being surrounded by the type of talent they had when they were on their rookie deal which then goes to show that they were below average to average.

Teams are in the terrible position of having to pay them though because without a QB, you're sunk and taking the risk that you can get similar production from someone else is too much of a risk with jobs on the line. 

This is why I was so angry about the Bills not providing Allen with a competent QB coach when he was so unready for the NFL last season and not putting decent talent around him.  They essentially wasted a year of his rookie deal -- and teams can't afford that when they have to figure out if they've got somebody worth paying early on.  Even with decent talent around a QB, it's hard to tell because some QBs are just good enough to keep management thinking that if they add 1 more piece or give them a little more time, they'll blossom.  Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay and Nashville have been or are in this situation -- wasting time, money, and especially possible opportunities to draft a better QB -- because they couldn't figure out if their former first round pick was good enough or not.

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Tannehill is looking pretty good in Tennessee right now...sometimes a change of scenery and a better gameplan is all you need maybe?

And better support and coaching.  Tennessee has been a pretty talented team for a while now that just never played inspired football.  They never had that spark, and people were always making excuses for Mariota's mediocre play.  Tannehill's not a great QB but he does have enough leadership skills to get more out of the Titans' talent than Mariota ever did.  The Bills were lucky to play them before Vrabel made the QB switch.

8 minutes ago, SoTier said:

And better support and coaching.  Tennessee has been a pretty talented team for a while now that just never played inspired football.  They never had that spark, and people were always making excuses for Mariota's mediocre play.  Tannehill's not a great QB but he does have enough leadership skills to get more out of the Titans' talent than Mariota ever did.  The Bills were lucky to play them before Vrabel made the QB switch.

Agreed. I always thought Tannehill had potential. He had some good games running a pretty complex offense for Miami, but between injuries and inconsistency, he never took off. That said, the good performances displayed real promise. 

• Like (+1) 1