Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson Article this morning

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If they cut Murphy, Kroft and Long they have over $105M in cap space. They can do whatever they want.

Not worth cutting Long.  But cutting Kroft and Murphy and saving $7.2M is a no-brainer.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Long has been active most weeks. He hasn't got on the field a lot but he has been active. And you have to remember that Spain is a FA. 

That's a good point. Long is decent insurance in the event that some team gets stupid and overpays Spain.

51 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Spencer Long...he’s been active like twice this year

Those other 2 are $12m in savings 

Oops, I wasn't counting roster and workout bonuses.  Still I get $9.65M.  If you designate them post-June 1st, it's $11.3M.  Still a good savings either way. 

And GB said, Long has been active for 9 of the 11 games and Spain is an UFA at the end of the year.  Not sure you kick him to the curb until you have a replacement.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

This didn't age well this afternoon...

I know his post was saying Shaq isn't getting sacks and pressures but let's not go overboard and act like Shaq had an amazing game because he got 2 sacks. He was completely unblocked on both of those.

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

$6-7M won’t get it done. He’s very likely to be offered $8-10 in FA. He leads the League in sacks by a DT. No team doesn’t want that!

That number you mention is probably more accurate than mine- hoping for a hometown discount. Great W today ? 

It's too late. Unless they tag one, they will hit the open market. Beane really screwed up not picking up Shaq's 5th year option. There is no valid reason not to pick up the option.  Phillips has played beyond anyone's expectation and some team will overpay for him. 

If you coukd sign Phillips to a 3 yr medium sized contract fully guaranteed then maybe he would stay. Otherwise he has no reason not to test the FA market.

Lawson will most likely want a fresh start and rightly so. The process has not been fair to him. 

We'll sign either a name DE or WR this offseason, whichever we don't sign will be filled with our 1st round pick. Phillips is a must-retain, we aren't replacing his production with a 2nd/3rd round pick.

9 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I’d like them both re-signed, but it always comes down to the contract.  If they hit free agency and another team is going to overpay, then you gotta move on to other options.  That said, I wonder if either would be interested in something now?

I think they are both scheduled to be UFA after the season (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). I'm all for resigning both of them, but I couldn't blame either of them for wanting to test the open market. If they continue playing the way they have been, somebody will be willing to pay a lot of money for either or both of them. I doubt Beane will want to get into a bidding war with anyone, but with the team's cap space he may be able to front-load contracts to make it worth their while to stay. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's too late. Unless they tag one, they will hit the open market. Beane really screwed up not picking up Shaq's 5th year option. There is no valid reason not to pick up the option.  Phillips has played beyond anyone's expectation and some team will overpay for him. 

If you coukd sign Phillips to a 3 yr medium sized contract fully guaranteed then maybe he would stay. Otherwise he has no reason not to test the FA market.

Lawson will most likely want a fresh start and rightly so. The process has not been fair to him. 

Shaq's 5th year option was for $10M.  Not sure he'll get that on the open market.

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If my math is correct the Bills save like $16Mish in cap space if they let Long, Murphy and Kroft go. Those feel like easy decisions to me. I’d turn around and hand some of that back to Lawson and Phillips. You can bring them both back and STILL have more cap savings than you were projected to have. 

Phillips is in line for a pretty good raise and Lawson is a really solid player. You can still draft or sign other DL as well but making those couple of moves really raises the floor for the Bills DL.

I'd keep Long.  He's played well when he's had to, and at more than one position on the line. Murphy and Kroft can definitely go.