Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson Article this morning

Phillips is going to get paid. And he seems like a guy driven by his emotions. What happens when his emotions run out or he becomes unhappy about something in the organization? I feel like he would stop trying. Now that's pure speculation on my part.

I don't think he deserves a big contract for one year of production. He was cut by his original team. He came here last year and made a splash, but was also invisible in a lot of games. This year (in a contract year) he turned it up and has been great. But I wouldn't give him anything more than a short term prove it deal. Nothing long term until he shows he can produce long term.

I'm fine extending Lawson if it is for a reasonable contract. If not we can replace his production pretty easily in free agency, the draft, or even current personnel.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that they will try to chase one of the pass rushers in FA first but I agree. 

I agree.  I see them going hard at Clowney, letting Trent and Shaq walk, drafting a WR in 1st and. DE in 2d to replace Hughes a year out.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pay them both and draft a pass rusher in the 1st. LFG. 

Agree. Shaq is this years Preston Brown though Lawson has played much better as his rookie contract concluded. Both were worth retaining, but at reasonable price. Shaq will probably get more in the open market than what Buffalo is willing to pay. Both are worth retaining and Phillips will draw a contract in the 8-10 per year, especially if he gets 10plus sacks. Phillips is the priority no doubt.

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Agree. Shaq is this years Preston Brown though Lawson has played much better as his rookie contract concluded. Both were worth retaining, but at reasonable price. Shaq will probably get more in the open market than what Buffalo is willing to pay. Both are worth retaining and Phillips will draw a contract in the 8-10 per year, especially if he gets 10plus sacks. Phillips is the priority no doubt.

Lawson has had a really good year (underrated imo) and would be a nice piece to retain given the age of Hughes. They certainly need to add a guy who is that “next level” pass rusher but would be on board with signing Lawson. He needs to come up big today too. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lawson has had a really good year (underrated imo) and would be a nice piece to retain given the age of Hughes. They certainly need to add a guy who is that “next level” pass rusher but would be on board with signing Lawson. He needs to come up big today too. 

Shaq to me is the type of guy that plays on really good teams. He’s an above average rotational piece. You still need to get a pass rusher because that’s not him. He’s solid though and can play all over the line. Shaq won’t be too expensive and is an insurance policy against an injury. He’s the perfect 3rd defensive end imo. I’d dump Murphy and hand Shaq some of the savings there.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Shaq to me is the type of guy that plays on really good teams. He’s an above average rotational piece. You still need to get a pass rusher because that’s not him. He’s solid though and can play all over the line. Shaq won’t be too expensive and is an insurance policy against an injury. He’s the perfect 3rd defensive end imo. I’d dump Murphy and hand Shaq some of the savings there.

Yeah i would move on from Murphy as well.

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

To me, Lawson, looks like the perfect Patriot given how they use players like him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

$6-7M won’t get it done. He’s very likely to be offered $8-10 in FA. He leads the League in sacks by a DT. No team doesn’t want that!

We need to switch the contracts between Latulelie and Phillips , 

Phillips is going to get overpaid. As a situational pass rusher he is good but he can't play every down and he's only flashed his skills for a season and a half. That being said we have plenty of cap space and we need as much d-line depth as we can get. I'd offer him a 3 year contract at $27 million. Just enough time for Oliver to come into his own on his rookie deal.

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Phillips is going to get overpaid. As a situational pass rusher he is good but he can't play every down and he's only flashed his skills for a season and a half. That being said we have plenty of cap space and we need as much d-line depth as we can get. I'd offer him a 3 year contract at $27 million. Just enough time for Oliver to come into his own on his rookie deal.

I think it’s more of a function of him being a good fit for this defensive scheme that he’s looked so good here, not that he’s a fluke (i know you didn’t say that but i don’t think it’s like he would be a 1 year wonder here). Also, from what i understand he did flash in Miami but wasn’t consistent. Whatever it is here with how he’s used, it works. He’s also a 2nd rd pick so the talent was always there.

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Phillips is a no brainer to be resigned. 

Lawson is playing ok but your main job as a DE is sacks and pressures. I think he is a good rotational player and if the price is right I would want him back.

Phillips is a no-brainier for the Bills to try to extend.  Whether they will be able to or not is debatable as not sure they'll want to pay him as much as he can get on the open market.  The Bills just used a top 10 pick on Oliver regardless of what you think of the pick, he's ear marked to be the starter.  On the other side Star still is scheduled to earn top $$ next season and from what I've read, too much to cut, plus you have H Phillips as a cheap back up.  So how much do you want to spend on a backup to Oliver

The one thing in favor of him getting  more than you'd  think you'd pay for a back up and get him signed in Buffalo is the Bills like this rotation scheme on the D-line so for that, may be willing to play more than most teams would pay a back up. Plus they may realize he is an exceptional good backup 

We shall see, but wouldn't shock me to see him go elsewhere as he'll get an offer for way more than the Bills are willing to pay him.

35 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Phillips for sure, not sure about Shaq, they are going to want to hit FA to max out their money.  They sign ahead of FA, shoot their agent.  It's not a given to say "resign these guys"

If they cut Murphy, Kroft and Long they have over $105M in cap space. They can do whatever they want.