John Brown showing he can be a #1 WR

Big Turk

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah he doesn't meet my definition. To me a true #1 can make game changing plays that no one else can make. Brown isn't that. But he's a fantastic #2 because he makes all the normal plays on a very consistent basis. Doesn't make a lot of mistakes and can beat NFL corners consistently.

I say 1a as opposed to #2. For me what limits him as being a true #1 is going up to make catches and what he does in the red zone. Besides that he does everything else a #1 does he just needs a 1b.

15 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

People have different definitions of what is a #1 WR. He's putting up numbers you would want a #1 guy to have. But he's also getting all of the throws you would expect a #1 guy to have without the defense really tailoring their D to stop him because he is not one. To me, and my definition of a #1 WR, to which there are maybe a dozen at most in the league, he is not a #1. He would be an awesome #2 and Beasley would make an excellent #3. 

Are you thinking of "elite" WR's instead of #1 WR's? A #1 WR, in the most basic definition, is the guy on top of the depth chart at the position. Now obviously there are crappy #1 WR's out there.

I think people are just thinking of elite WR's. Or, to out it another way, receivers who are WORTHY to be a #1 WR and likely would on most NFL teams.

I don't think John Brown is elite, but he is a #1 WR. And he's showing he can be a reliable target with sure hands.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Are you thinking of "elite" WR's instead of #1 WR's? A #1 WR, in the most basic definition, is the guy on top of the depth chart at the position. Now obviously there are crappy #1 WR's out there.

I think people are just thinking of elite WR's. Or, to out it another way, receivers who are WORTHY to be a #1 WR and likely would on most NFL teams.

I don't think John Brown is elite, but he is a #1 WR. And he's showing he can be a reliable target with sure hands.

I don't think that's true. There is a specific football term of "#1 WR" that does not mean just your team's top WR. A lot of teams have no #1 WR. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog

1 minute ago, MJS said:

The easiest way to phrase it is a WR that you can build your whole offense around. There are maybe 12 of them in the whole league. My take is you either need a #1 WR, or two #2s.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't think that's true. There is a specific football term of "#1 WR" that does not mean just your team's top WR. A lot of teams have no #1 WR. 

I think that people use it that way, but what's the difference between #1 WR and elite WR?

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He's an excellent WR and has been Beane's best FA signing (Hyde and Poyer were McD and Whaley). 

It will be a very interesting offseason and draft. Brown has been good enough to pass on a WR early. Best case scenario a big WR falls like DK and they get an edge in first round and a guy with size in the second or third.

I tend to agree that Brown if not putting up true #1 numbers is certainly close enough that you don't need a to draft a player to become a #1.  So if looking to fill a #2 WR slot, I'd tend to think you'd be better finding one as a FA.  Those types of guys like Brown are available every year and tend to come relatively cheap and will be able to have an immediate impact. Drafting a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round likely would take at least a year before you'd expect big things from him.  I'd still maybe draft a WR in the 3rd, but he's more coming of the bench in 2020. 

Just now, MJS said:

I think that people use it that way, but what's the difference between #1 WR and elite WR?

The difference is, the fans that believe there are #1 WR in the league that are not elite WR, like, say, John Brown. ;)

Again, it's like the term "Franchise QB". There are some fans who, before this season, would have said Marcus Mariotta and Jamies Winston, for example, were "Franchise QBs." And another huge portion of fans that would have said no way are those two franchise QBs.  

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The difference is, the fans that believe there are #1 WR in the league that are not elite WR, like, say, John Brown. ;)

Again, it's like the term "Franchise QB". There are some fans who, before this season, would have said Marcus Mariotta and Jamies Winston, for example, were "Franchise QBs." And another huge portion of fans that would have said no way are those two franchise QBs.  

So there is no difference, by your definition. Every #1 WR is an elite WR. So why have two terms for it?

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I tend to agree that Brown if not putting up true #1 numbers is certainly close enough that you don't need a to draft a player to become a #1.  So if looking to fill a #2 WR slot, I'd tend to think you'd be better finding one as a FA.  Those types of guys like Brown are available every year and tend to come relatively cheap and will be able to have an immediate impact. Drafting a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round likely would take at least a year before you'd expect big things from him.  I'd still maybe draft a WR in the 3rd, but he's more coming of the bench in 2020. 

Make a Keenan Allen trade. When Rivers retires at the end of the season it will be a firesale.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Can we find the Peerless Price to our Lee Evans?

Peerless was opposite Moulds when he had his breakout year - then went on to suck in Atlanta

1 minute ago, MJS said:

So there is no difference, by your definition. Every #1 WR is an elite WR. So why have two terms for it?

In my definition there is no difference. I think there are maybe 10 elite WR in the league and they are what I would consider to be #1 WR. But other fans think there are #1 WR who are not the elite, and other fans that think the top WR on your team is a #1. There were people here claiming that Zay Jones was a #1 WR because he got the most targets and most catches. That, to me, is insane. He is not even a #3. To me. That's what I meant by it all depends on your personal definition of #1.