Jump to content
Limeaid

Bucs Rookie Kahzin Daniels blind in one eye to make start

Recommended Posts

As someone who is legally blind in one eye since age 3 and used to play football this surprises me.  My lack of true depth perception made catching ball very difficult and I am sure defenses will try to exploit blind side hits on him.

 

 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/buccaneers-rookie-who-is-completely-blind-in-one-eye-set-to-make-his-nfl-debut/

Undrafted out of Division II Charleston (WV), the rookie outside linebacker was promoted from the practice squad to the Bucs' active roster Wednesday, and with veterans Carl Nassib and Anthony Nelson nursing injuries, he figures to make his NFL debut in Week 10 against the Arizona Cardinals -- almost two decades after he lost sight in his right eye.

  • Like (+1) 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

As someone who is legally blind in one eye since age 3 and used to play football this surprises me.  My lack of true depth perception made catching ball very difficult and I am sure defenses will try to exploit blind side hits on him.

 

 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/buccaneers-rookie-who-is-completely-blind-in-one-eye-set-to-make-his-nfl-debut/

Undrafted out of Division II Charleston (WV), the rookie outside linebacker was promoted from the practice squad to the Bucs' active roster Wednesday, and with veterans Carl Nassib and Anthony Nelson nursing injuries, he figures to make his NFL debut in Week 10 against the Arizona Cardinals -- almost two decades after he lost sight in his right eye.

Unreal! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope he takes advantage of this opportunity as a player for the Buccaneers with only one good eye and wears an eye patch, chances like this don't just pop up everyday.

  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

He may be better suited to be a referee.

He wouldn't make it, he would be over qualified for the position..........

 

I was wondering what position he played, I expected QB, Bears might be interested as an improvement then......

Edited by apuszczalowski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played with a guy who was blind in one eye in high school. He played corner and was probably the best open field tackler I’ve ever seen. It was incredible and I could never really understand how he was able to overcome that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for him! Ever tried doing something with one eye shut? You have no depth perception. Hope he plays well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I played with a guy who was blind in one eye in high school. He played corner and was probably the best open field tackler I’ve ever seen. It was incredible and I could never really understand how he was able to overcome that. 

Probably depends on when it happened.

 

If he was born blind it probably wasn't hard because he grew up learning how to do everything with the disability not knowing anything else. If it happened later in life it's probably more difficult because you have to relearn how to do things and you know there's a difference you aren't used too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's amazing. I was blinded in my left eye 13 years ago, making the adjustments in my daily life took a long time. Truly amazing as an NFL player. I'm rooting for this kid.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

 

he’d have to at least have cateracts in the othe one. 

 

Then I am qualifying to be a zebra. Blind in one eye, out of shape and developing a cataract in my good eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mathja said:

Who is old enough to remember Wesley Walker?

 

I do, Jets returner and was outstanding in playoffs for them one year.

He was blind in his left eye and has spinal stenosis like me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Probably depends on when it happened.

 

If he was born blind it probably wasn't hard because he grew up learning how to do everything with the disability not knowing anything else. If it happened later in life it's probably more difficult because you have to relearn how to do things and you know there's a difference you aren't used too

He was born with it. Just the whole depth perception thing and playing corner (obviously with his good eye facing the QB). It was really a great story. One of those guys when he made a tackle would just charge up on the ball carrier with so fast and always cut peoples legs out before they could even make a move. It was impressive to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being completely blind in one eye, it doesnt matter if you were born with it or if it came later in life...you have no depth perception.  If you throw me a football from 20 yards away I'll have no problem catching it, but if you soft toss one to me from a few feet away I'll have great difficulty judging it well enough to catch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I hope he does well...after this week.

Well we aren't playing him so I hope he does well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Being completely blind in one eye, it doesnt matter if you were born with it or if it came later in life...you have no depth perception.  If you throw me a football from 20 yards away I'll have no problem catching it, but if you soft toss one to me from a few feet away I'll have great difficulty judging it well enough to catch it.

I see what you are saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a LB so hitting a RB or QB would be easier than if he played WR or CB and having to need depth perception to track and catch passes.

 

Kick some butt kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure the lack of depth perception would affect a person at some positions more than others.  I can't imagine anyone trying to play WR at a high level with only one eye.  It would increase the challenge of every position though.  More power to him if he can do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...