Do you think the Bills are doomed to repeat 2008, 2011?

njbuff

On 10/30/2019 at 3:28 PM, Nextmanup said:

Coaching is not "much stronger" than Chan Gailey in 2011; it is better than Dick Jauron in 2008.

A monkey with a learning disability would provide better coaching than Dick Jauron.

Do not think we are doomed to repeat however.

Have you watched and listened? McDermott is Jauron all over again. 

On 10/30/2019 at 6:28 PM, Nextmanup said:

Coaching is not "much stronger" than Chan Gailey in 2011; it is better than Dick Jauron in 2008.

A monkey with a learning disability would provide better coaching than Dick Jauron.

Do not think we are doomed to repeat however.

Well, he was AP Coach of the Year in 2001

?

On 10/30/2019 at 3:34 PM, Nextmanup said:

Chan Gailey actually out-smarted Bill Belichick, brilliantly used the clock, and snuck a win out against him.  The game in Buffalo.

More than McD has done.

Remember that game?  Remember BB running around as the clock struck zero screaming and yelling and whining?!

It's like his ego couldn't handle being beat at his own game.

One of the better Bills moments in recent years if you ask me.

large.430A63B4-6616-4A9E-9B08-DE167F749787.gif.72b31696599bad34f6041614de9ff438.gif

No 10-6 but probably no wins in playoffs because of our paltry offensive output unless we play in bad weather which would play to our strengths.

.....but I question what next year will bring. I wonder what serious change we can bring to our pass rush in FA and can we bring in more playmakers and will replace Lorenzo. Next year we could be back at 8-8 again.

The live in the moment fans who point to the team's record as evidence the future is bright remind me of some in 2008 who shouted down anyone who predicted a change coming.  This even occurred as the Bills went from 5-1 to 5-5 in 4 weeks.  The same people who celebrated the KC win by saying things were great as they went to 6-5.  It's kinda like Kevin Bacon in Animal House saying all is well.  They didn't pass the eye test then and they don't this year.  Perhaps that's why McD was especially testy at the press conference the other day.  

The similarities to that 2008 team are numerous: third year of a new regime under a defensive minded HC, 5-1 start against a weak schedule, pedestrian offense built to run, not so much to pass, offensive skill position talent (Evans, Marshawn, Fred) good in defense against the pass, and faltered down the stretch against the run (surrendered 150 yards or more rushing 5 times).  

Edited by BillsVet

11 hours ago, ngbills said:

Very true. I dont believe in any notion of teams being doomed. Or this happened ten years ago so of course it will happen again. 

Reality (at least mine) is that it is great that we are 5-2. Could be worse. But all I know based on this is that we are not one of the bottom 5-10 teams. We have beaten teams that most average teams would beat, and barely done so. If I am forced to put money on it I say we are in that 10-15 range. Strong Defense that can win as long as the O plays average, but will have a tough time beating any good team. 

We are right smack dab somewhere in the middle of the league, where a heck of a lot of teams live.

That's who we are, though our record (at the moment) suggests we are better than that.

And ironically, our record is actually going to get better before it gets worse.

I think we almost certainly have to get to 10 wins this year, and it could easily be 11.

That's because the AFC has never been worse and a lot of programs are in a down cycle at the moment.

It's a really unusual year, actually.

Edited by Nextmanup

14 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Chan could coach up the O, he got a lot out of Fitz and a bunch of nobody WRs, and maximized CJ Spiller.

Jauron was middling to brutal on both sides of the ball, and always coached scared.

Not saying Chan was great by any means, but he was better than Jauron. Low bar, I know.

i know that's a popular opinion, but the results disagree.

chan we just destroyed routinely.  jauron won more games and his losses were worse.  

clapper getting torched so often has me concerned, but i hope the ship gets right

I see 5 more wins which puts us at 10-6. Obviously it is any given Sunday right? It is time for McDermitt to get more of a stranglehold on offense. Daboll, imo has been pretty lousy with his game plans and in game play calling. Special teams has to get their heads out of their butts too. Blocked fg’s, punts, and extra points along with rarely making plays can lose ya some games- see NE and yes 4 picks killed us too! 

2 hours ago, colin said:

i know that's a popular opinion, but the results disagree.

chan we just destroyed routinely.  jauron won more games and his losses were worse.  

clapper getting torched so often has me concerned, but i hope the ship gets right

Ok, perhaps I should have phrased it as “at least Chan’s losses were more entertaining than Dick’s”.

Tomato/tomahto when it boils down to it.

Being a Bills fan we have seen just about all of the epic falls from grace that we can possibly imagine but i am one that holds hope that this team will be different !

I am not convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that Josh is "The Guy" just because of his inconsistency, sure he has a great arm, seems to be a great leader, can move really well, but accuracy is what they said it was coming out of college .

He has improved but he has some similarity's to former Bills QB's EJ & Tyrod so until he shakes those comparisons in my mind he won't be "The Guy" but i am & will continue to hold out hope & when he can beat the teams like the Eagles the ones that are above just average then & only then will i say Okay he's our guy 100% !! 

6 minutes ago, T master said:

Being a Bills fan we have seen just about all of the epic falls from grace that we can possibly imagine but i am one that holds hope that this team will be different !

I am not convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that Josh is "The Guy" just because of his inconsistency, sure he has a great arm, seems to be a great leader, can move really well, but accuracy is what they said it was coming out of college .

He has improved but he has some similarity's to former Bills QB's EJ & Tyrod so until he shakes those comparisons in my mind he won't be "The Guy" but i am & will continue to hold out hope & when he can beat the teams like the Eagles the ones that are above just average then & only then will i say Okay he's our guy 100% !! 

there are solid grounds for optimism starting this season

a WC loss (at least trying this time compared to the last WC flop) would be a good first year of seriousness, if they win the Super Bowl that would be much better.