Do you think the Bills are doomed to repeat 2008, 2011?

njbuff

44 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Yeah sure the guy who was the National Scholar Athlete of the year from Yale in 1972 is dumber than a monkey. 

Dick, is that you?

:lol:

Please point out in my writing where I said Dick Jauron is dumber than a monkey.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I would like to think that the Bills have much stronger coaching this time around to prevent it from happening.

Plus, I think they can iron a lot of these kinks out from within.

What do you think?

I agree with you.  You can see the progress and continued potential on this team; a whole different culture.

That said, I'm concerned about the slippage on the defense.  For the Bills to make the playoffs this year, which quite frankly is my expectation (nothing more), the defense has to step it back up.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Dick, is that you?

:lol:

Please point out in my writing where I said Dick Jauron is dumber than a monkey.

I have no doubt that Dick Jauron is a very smart man.  That doesn't make him a good motivator and doesn't mean that he's a good football coach.

I feel that this is not the case.  When the tale is told of the eventual Lombardi winner, narrators with deep, NFL-story-telling voices will come in dramatically at this point of the documentary, and say things like "with the loss to the Eagles, uncertainty ruled the day, and the Bills season hung in the balance," and "no one could possibly know the glory that was to come."

True story.

No!

The 2008 season was marred by that concussion on Trent Edwards. The Bills also lost pass rusher Aaron Schobel after 5 games and that was the end of that! The Miami Dolphins took the division that year with an 11-5 record.  That's also the year the Patriots lost Brady after one game. 

2011 Fitz got Fked up by the Redskins in week 8 and broke some ribs and he played hurting most of that season. The next week the Bills lost Eric Wood for the season and had great difficulty snapping the ball after that. Week 11 against Miami was a joke because they couldn't snap the ball correctly to save their lives. Besides that Bills defense was horrid under George Edwards that year.

This season the Bills have to have the weakest schedule I've ever seen them have 1-7 Redskins, 2-5 Browns, 0-7 Dolphins, 2-6 Broncos... 4-3 Cowboys, 5-2 Ravens...3-4 Steelers,

8-0 Patriots, 1-6 Jets. 

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

I would like to think that the Bills have much stronger coaching this time around to prevent it from happening.

Plus, I think they can iron a lot of these kinks out from within.

What do you think?

I don’t think this year is similar to either of those years.

This team has much better depth and overall talent than the 2008 and for sure 2011 teams. I also think that the team is much better coached overall than those two teams. I think 10 wins is super realistic. If they win 3 out of the next 4 that puts them at 8-3. They then have a tough stretch against the Cowboys, Pats, Ravens, and Steelers, even if they go 1-3 they enter into week 17 against the Jets at home at 9-6. 

I think ideally you want to win the next 4 (the only tough game you have is against the Browns which is a game you should be favored or a push away.) But even if you get a loss in there it still sets up you to a realistic path to 10 wins and a likely playoff spot. I think this roster is simply better built than the past 5-1 teams that disappointed. 

No.

Number 1:  We have a much easier schedule.  We still play the Redskins, Dolphins, Broncos, Steelers, Browns and Jets.  We will win a MINIMUM of half of those games if not all 6.  I have full confidence in that.  That'd bring us to 8 wins minimum, possibly as high as 11 if we won all of them.

Number 2:  The debacle on Sunday and the issues that it exposed in terms of our players can be resolved easier than we initially thought.  We all thought our run D sucked because of talent.  Well, as Joe B laid out with video evidence pretty well in his most recent All-22, Star wasn't actually our problem, it was largely an issue of gap responsibility and over pursuit--and hasn't that been the resounding criticism of our young MLB?  McDermott clearly saw that on film, which is why he said they were going back to fundamentals.

Number 3:  And then there were just some terrible coaching decisions.  Daboll's PC the other day made it look like he was made  aware of them in his film sessions and I'm sure Frazier was the same.  I like McDermott and the staff he's put together and believe they'll resolve their issues.

Number 4:  Although Josh's fumbling is a major concern, he's been a lot better about throwing the football in the last 3 games.  6 TDs to 1 INT.  He's still learning the game and will continue to take his lumps, but he's progressing as a passer, even if his deep ball is still off (almost have to forgive that deep miss to Foster on Sunday with that wind).

Number 5: Do you really have any games on our schedule at this point that you've circled as absolute Ls?  The Patriots?  But we only lost by 6 to them even losing our starting QB for the entire 4th quarter and giving up a mind-numbing Special Teams TD.  Dallas?  Are they really that good?  The Ravens?  Along with us winning a minimum of 3 of the above games, I strongly believe we will win at least 1 of these games, bringing us to a MINIMUM of 9 wins this year.

So no, 9-7 minimum would NOT be like 2008 or 2011 all over again.

I have to see more.  Especially out of Josh and the offense.  They move the ball in such short increments, hardly ever a chunk play.  

I think if Frank Gore had the hole that Miles Sanders took to the house, it would have been about a 14 yard rush.  

Josh's fumble before the Half against the Eagles was killer.  Terrible turnover, that turned the tide of the game.

Josh used to stretch the field.  Last year if it was 3rd and 17, I was somewhat confident they could nail it.  Now every 3 yards seems to be a struggle.  They have good drives that just take forever and eventually a sack (often bad sacks) or penalty kills it.  There is no YAC and no long shots.   Josh used to threaten all areas of the field with his arm, now it is just a few yards to the sticks.   

I have to think that Thanksgiving Day is going to be another National Embarrassment as the Bills seem to melt under the National spotlight.  Worst games, defense included, involve being the prime attraction.  That is going to be melancholy.  

The Browns game will be tough as will every Sunday.  Patriots and Steelers have the winning pedigree that the Bills aspire to, but every time we seem to be close we slide back down.  So, one week at a time.      

Lol, doomed ? Of course not. The 2008 and 2011 teams have zero to do with this one. The coaching on those teams wasn’t as good, and the 2011 team had less talent. The ‘08 squad was quarterbacked by Trent Edwards. The Bills schedule remaining schedule is not difficult. They’ve lost to the teams an outside observer would expect them to lose to. They’re a decent to good team in a very mediocre AFC. While not a championship caliber roster yet, they can make the playoffs and possibly even win a wildcard game depending on the opponent. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1