Do you think the Bills are doomed to repeat 2008, 2011?

njbuff

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

There may be some fans that find anything negative to be idiotic, but those are complete homers and can be discounted. That’s a far cry from your notion, though. The OPs question wasn’t if it was possible that this 5-2 team could flounder, as others have in the past. It was whether they were doomed to replicate the failures of completely different teams, with completely different players / coaches in very different situations. So while all but the biggest homers would say the team couldn’t possibly slip, only the “ sky is falling” critics of virtually everything the team does would say “ doomed” ! 

Very true. I dont believe in any notion of teams being doomed. Or this happened ten years ago so of course it will happen again. 

Reality (at least mine) is that it is great that we are 5-2. Could be worse. But all I know based on this is that we are not one of the bottom 5-10 teams. We have beaten teams that most average teams would beat, and barely done so. If I am forced to put money on it I say we are in that 10-15 range. Strong Defense that can win as long as the O plays average, but will have a tough time beating any good team. 

20 hours ago, njbuff said:

I would like to think that the Bills have much stronger coaching this time around to prevent it from happening.

Plus, I think they can iron a lot of these kinks out from within.

What do you think?

Serious question. Have you seen our remaining nine games???

No, because QB play in 2008 and 2011 was excellent with the hot start and then captain checkdown and bad Fitz emerged after the 5-2 start.  Allen has played subpar at best and we're still 5-2.

McDermott is an upgrade from Gailey and Jauron so I don't see us completely falling apart like those teams did.  I see the remainder of the season going more like the 2017 season with us sneaking in with a win against the Jets to get to 10-6. 

25 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think we make the playoffs then get absolutely housed by the Chiefs in the wildcard game.

While I generally agree with this sentiment, it would certainly be a bit refreshing to control your own destiny and make the playoffs without needing an abacus, and astral chart and Andy Dalton.

• Thank you (+1) 1

the theme of this thread aside: in what way was chan a better corch than jauron?  jauron was obviously not good, but chan had more massive blow out losses than wins (by any margin).  fitz getting on a hot streak made the team look better than it was.  Chan was awful.

20 hours ago, White Linen said:

What possible connection could there be?

That "possible connection" is the HC sharing the same fundamental football philosophy as in 2008 with a defensive minded HC who values JAGs who totally buy into his system over more talented players who may not.  That describes both Jauron and McDermott.   Jauron considered offense a necessary evil, but McDermott isn't as radical.  Unfortunately, the league emphasizes offense much more now that it did a decade ago, so the Bills offense remains very poor compared to the rest of the league.

Because both teams had easy early schedules, they appeared to be much better teams than they actually were/are.   I think that the 2019 Bills are at least significantly better on defense than the 2008 squad, and McDermott is a better coach than Jauron.  The 2008 Bills started 5-2 and went 2-7 the rest of the way.  The 2019 Bills should be better than that, but I think that they have to improve significantly on offense  to get to 10 wins.  They could easily lose all of the late season gauntlet of Dallas, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and NE.

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Including 13-3 NE, 8-8 NYJ (x2), 8-8 DAL, 9-7 TEN, 8-8 SD, and 8-8 DEN. Also 5 of the 9 games were on the road. So no it was not an easy schedule. 

Here is what I find funny. You say anything negative about this team and the response from many is that your an idiot this team is 5-2 so be quiet. But when we talk about prior 5-2 teams people can say those teams sucked or Trent Edwards sucked, the coaching sucked, etc. But they were 5-2...does that mean you can be 5-2 and still have a coach that may not be that good or a QB that is struggling? Hmm interesting. 

That's how those teams ended the season. When we were 5-2, all those teams who finished at or near .500 appeared as easy games. Check their records after 7 games. So, our perception at that moment in the 2011 season was that we have an easy schedule.  The same as our current perception of our schedule. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SoTier said:

That "possible connection" is the HC sharing the same fundamental football philosophy as in 2008 with a defensive minded HC who values JAGs who totally buy into his system over more talented players who may not.  That describes both Jauron and McDermott.   Jauron considered offense a necessary evil, but McDermott isn't as radical.  Unfortunately, the league emphasizes offense much more now that it did a decade ago, so the Bills offense remains very poor compared to the rest of the league.

Because both teams had easy early schedules, they appeared to be much better teams than they actually were/are.   I think that the 2019 Bills are at least significantly better on defense than the 2008 squad, and McDermott is a better coach than Jauron.  The 2008 Bills started 5-2 and went 2-7 the rest of the way.  The 2019 Bills should be better than that, but I think that they have to improve significantly on offense  to get to 10 wins.  They could easily lose all of the late season gauntlet of Dallas, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and NE.

Some people like talking apples to oranges. 

57 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

here's the real question:

Are the Patriots doomed to repeat 2015?

Started 10-0

Finished 12-4

Lost AFC Title Game on the road

I expect the Pats will get HFA in the AFC

Doomed is a little extreme. The 2017 team, although no mentioned, was not doomed.

I remember 2008 and 2011 very well.  I also remember thinking at the time we had finally found our QB and coach and the future is bright. Like now.

I'm gonna just take it week by week and see how it plays out.

What we have now is a good start.  Enjoy it.

Go BILLS !!

2 hours ago, colin said:

the theme of this thread aside: in what way was chan a better corch than jauron?  jauron was obviously not good, but chan had more massive blow out losses than wins (by any margin).  fitz getting on a hot streak made the team look better than it was.  Chan was awful.

Chan could coach up the O, he got a lot out of Fitz and a bunch of nobody WRs, and maximized CJ Spiller.

Jauron was middling to brutal on both sides of the ball, and always coached scared.

Not saying Chan was great by any means, but he was better than Jauron. Low bar, I know.

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think we make the playoffs then get absolutely housed by the Chiefs in the wildcard game.

I think the Chiefs will ultimately get a bye. I just think they're a better team than the Ravens/Colts/Texans, and they hold the head to head vs. Baltimore. They don't vs. Indy, but the latter has a tough schedule ahead of them: 7 tough opponents out of their final 9 (NO, Carolina, Jax twice, TN, Pittsburgh, and Houston). 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I think the Chiefs will ultimately get a bye. I just think they're a better team than the Ravens/Colts/Texans, and they hold the head to head vs. Baltimore. They don't vs. Indy, but the latter has a tough schedule ahead of them: 7 tough opponents out of their final 9 (NO, Carolina, Jax twice, TN, Pittsburgh, and Houston). 

it was just a two second comment and you’ve responded with a ton of needless conjecture