Joe B. All-22 Review of Bills-Eagles : Star was best Bills player on the front 7

YoloinOhio

39 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Good call, but last week's comments weren't just about last week's film review. A blanket comment for the whole season. I'm no expert, but his comments made me take time to watch film of all our games this year(sad, I know). IMO He was way off. 

I didn't listen to J. Buscaglia, but here's a quote from Phill The Thrill in a thread he created( hope you don't mind, Phill):

“Joe’s main culprit is Star Loutelelei.  He said he has been terrible this year and is not winning matchups very well.” 

Maybe he didn't backtrack, but that was not a comment for just that 1 game. Anyway, I think Joe B. is terrible and was just annoyed a comment like that led to so many taking it as the gospel. 

It also wasn’t his actual comment. He did say that he wasn’t winning 1 on 1 matchups vs Miami and that it was happening more in 2019 than 2018. Again, that’s why he was surprised to see him play well this week. Where do you see so many people taking this as gospel? I’ve seen no one do that. I have seen people open to the possibility that he could have been the best of the front 7.

38 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Clearly, he thought this week's performance was better than in other weeks. You believe otherwise. However, you also stated that the Eagles' halftime adjustments included double-teaming Star. Coaches do not waste their time making halftime adjustments on specific players who are just playing average...

Star had a very good 1Q where he actually won man to man battles and directly disrupted a couple of plays in the backfield.  That's the base expectation from a $10 million DT.  He essentially disappeared for the rest of the game.

The double team wasn't specifically aimed at Star, but at anyone lined up at 1Tech.  Peko was facing the same double teams.

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

A and B grades 

Morse

Morse falling down on the QB run play caused Allen to get sacked. Allen getting sacked caused the fumble. The fumble gave the Eagles an opportunity to score at the end of the 1st half which changed the complexion of the game. 

Just now, Pasaluki said:

Morse falling down on the QB run play caused Allen to get sacked. Allen getting sacked caused the fumble. The fumble gave the Eagles an opportunity to score at the end of the 1st half which changed the complexion of the game. 

Allen also not securing the ball well enough caused the fumble.  He's got to take care of the ball better...he's got I think 8 fumbles this year.

The ball was ripped out of his hands which is more on him than anything.  

• Like (+1) 1

People really need to remove the money from the Star conversation. What a player gets paid only matters when the team is missing opportunities by not having that money to put elsewhere. That's not the case with Star. There's probably a valid argument that he's overpaid, but he was brought in to be a foundational part of the rebuild and he's done his job and the money isn't needed elsewhere at this time. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Do you think the BN simultaneously moved on essentially from Gleason and Sullivan because they were “negative?”  And leave the fan perspective at the door.  Those guys were the biggest critics of the two pro teams in town.  Put yourself in these outlets’ shoes.  They know their ability to cover the team would be affected if coverage was determined as too negative. 

Is it difficult to believe pro and college teams want positive coverage?  After all,  there’s a lot of money on the line and negative coverage impacts that.  If they possess the power to control the narrative, why wouldn’t these teams pursue that? And, that may be done in who is provided access to the team. 

The Pegulas bought the Sabres in 2011 and the Bills in 2014.

Gleason and Sullivan were around until 2018. 7 years of Sabres coverage. 4 years of Bills coverage. 

What triggered all of this is the Buffalo News had their 1st quarter in the red in 40+ years at the start of 2018 (lost $1.8M) and made a bunch of changes.

Gleason and Sullivan weren’t the only ones to take buyouts and leave. John Vogl did. So did Tim Graham. Both Gleason and Sullivan has their columns taken away, but were offered other jobs at the news. Bucky decided to take the buyout and leave, then Jerry decided to follow (though he said he was considering taking the new position until Bucky left). 

Heres a couple good links covering it -

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/6/22/17488972/what-really-happened-buffalo-news-sports-2018-tim-graham-jerry-sullivan-bucky-gleason-john-vogl

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/05152018/ups-and-downs-week-may-16

(this one has the letter from Buffalo News editor mike Connelly explaining all of the changes coming. It’s at the bottom of the article)

They also got lots of letters about Gleason and Sullivan from fans saying that they wouldn’t subscribe to the BN unless they were gone. The BN’s new sports editor was even posting over here for a while (Josh Barnett). 

it wasn’t some Pegula shake down. 

Also, didn’t the Bills just give Jerry Sullivan press credentials again (with his new gig)? 

I swear he was at a press conference recently, asking questions. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It also wasn’t his actual comment. He did say that he wasn’t winning 1 on 1 matchups vs Miami and that it was happening more in 2019 than 2018. Again, that’s why he was surprised to see him play well this week. Where do you see so many people taking this as gospel? I’ve seen no one do that. I have seen people open to the possibility that he could have been the best of the front 7.

Like I said, I didn't listen to him. I went by what the OP heard from it. “Joe’s main culprit is Star Loutelelei.  He said he has been terrible this year and is not winning matchups very well.” 

Maybe I could have wrote "so many comments that Joe B. is right from a small group of folks". Some of those definitely came from Joe. B's assessment. Thanks for the insight there. It just felt like a lot of folks jumping on, then thinking further, it could have been a vocal few. 

If Star "doing is job well" means lazily leaning into his assigned gap and not easily being moved, which might very well be the case, that's great.  Star mostly did his job on Sunday.  I question why you pay a guy $10M/year to do that job, especially when all hell breaks loose if that guy ever has to move laterally.  And don't even think of asking him to fire off the ball, because he can't quick-twitch.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Gleason and Sullivan were around until 2018. 7 years of Sabres coverage. 4 years of Bills coverage. 

What triggered all of this is the Buffalo News had their 1st quarter in the red in 40+ years at the start of 2018 (lost $1.8M) and made a bunch of changes.

Gleason and Sullivan weren’t the only ones to take buyouts and leave. John Vogl did. So did Tim Graham. Both Gleason and Sullivan has their columns taken away, but were offered other jobs at the news. Bucky decided to take the buyout and leave, then Jerry decided to follow (though he said he was considering taking the new position until Bucky left). 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/6/22/17488972/what-really-happened-buffalo-news-sports-2018-tim-graham-jerry-sullivan-bucky-gleason-john-vogl

(this one has the letter from Buffalo News editor mike Connelly explaining all of the changes coming. It’s at the bottom of the article)

They also got lots of letters about Gleason and Sullivan from fans saying that they wouldn’t subscribe to the BN unless they were gone. The BN’s new sports editor was even posting over here for a while (Josh Barnett). 

Also, didn’t the Bills just give Jerry Sullivan press credentials again (with his new gig)? 

Yes, they all have press credentials because they work for The Athletic. It’s only bloggers who dont get them

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

That's Good

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, they all have press credentials because they work for The Athletic. It’s only bloggers who dont get them

Jerry doesn’t work for the athletic, does he? 

I don’t really pay any attention to what Jerry’s doing, but I thought I heard something about how he was hired by some new paper or something, and that’s why he was at a Bills recent press conference. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How many plays does the All 22 show specifically on Star?  Maybe 3-5 if that?

He was on the field for 41 snaps last game.  Did you analyze all those plays?

All22 is every camera angle on every snap so if Star played in 41 snaps you could analyze all 41 of Stars snaps. Not that people always make the right analysis to begin with. 

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Allen also not securing the ball well enough caused the fumble.  He's got to take care of the ball better...he's got I think 8 fumbles this year.

The ball was ripped out of his hands which is more on him than anything.  

I’d have to see it again but I believe the ball was tucked. Not that it matters. He still lost it but that is different from being ripped out of his hands. 

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

All22 is every camera angle on every snap so if Star played in 41 snaps you could analyze all 41 of Stars snaps. Not that people always make the right analysis to begin with. 

I’d have to see it again but I believe the ball was tucked. Not that it matters. He still lost it but that is different from being ripped out of his hands. 

I'll have to look at it again too.  I know it was tucked but I thought the DL came flying in and ripped it out.  I don't think it was a contact hit that jarred the ball loose.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Thanks for a reasonable response as it's hard to find that on the board these days about controversial topics.  This discussion about coverage has deviated far from the original post topic, so I'll keep this brief and let the issue sit after responding.

Coverage of the Bills especially has become less objective and more supportive in the past few years.  The question still stands, especially in light of these comments from Sullivan about his meeting:  “It was pretty upsetting, and I started to leave. Mike Connelly led into the big news with a three-pronged discussion about what we needed in the sports department to be better. The message at the end was that my voice had become tired, and he didn’t use the words ‘bad for business,’ but that was clearly the message.”

Yet, later in the article, it states: "Gleason and Sullivan ranked among the best-read writers for the paper’s website each week, based on metrics that DiCesare could access."

Someone's lying here.  Why?  Who would push out the guys getting the most clicks and what impact would that have on ad revenue on the digital platform is built on?

My contention is that something else was going on and the BN leadership hid behind the financial picture as justification for the moves.  Some of it may be to push out higher earners, but it's clear they were concerned about how they covered those teams.   

As for Sullivan, yes, he has press credentials AFAIK.  But he doesn't have the medium like he used to.   

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If Star "doing is job well" means lazily leaning into his assigned gap and not easily being moved, which might very well be the case, that's great.  Star mostly did his job on Sunday.  I question why you pay a guy $10M/year to do that job, especially when all hell breaks loose if that guy ever has to move laterally.  And don't even think of asking him to fire off the ball, because he can't quick-twitch.

That's my main beef with Joe B's analysis.  Star does not have up and down games where he dominates in one game and then lays down in another where he gets an A- for Eagles and a F for Dolphins.  He's consistently average/below average game in game out.   

I also don't see that much of a drop off in DL play when Peko is subbed in for him, so the narrative that Star is a key cog of the DL, while Peko isn't practice squad-worthy also flies out the window.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Jerry doesn’t work for the athletic, does he? 

I don’t really pay any attention to what Jerry’s doing, but I thought I heard something about how he was hired by some new paper or something, and that’s why he was at a Bills recent press conference. 

I don’t pay attention either - I thought he was there but it must be a different outlet. Either way, he has a press credential. He’s at all the press conferences 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Thanks for a reasonable response as it's hard to find that on the board these days about controversial topics.  This discussion about coverage has deviated far from the original post topic, so I'll keep this brief and let the issue sit after responding.

Coverage of the Bills especially has become less objective and more supportive in the past few years.  The question still stands, especially in light of these comments from Sullivan about his meeting:  “It was pretty upsetting, and I started to leave. Mike Connelly led into the big news with a three-pronged discussion about what we needed in the sports department to be better. The message at the end was that my voice had become tired, and he didn’t use the words ‘bad for business,’ but that was clearly the message.”

Yet, later in the article, it states: "Gleason and Sullivan ranked among the best-read writers for the paper’s website each week, based on metrics that DiCesare could access."

Someone's lying here.  Why?  Who would push out the guys getting the most clicks and what impact would that have on ad revenue on the digital platform is built on?

My contention is that something else was going on and the BN leadership hid behind the financial picture as justification for the moves.  Some of it may be to push out higher earners, but it's clear they were concerned about how they covered those teams.   

As for Sullivan, yes, he has press credentials AFAIK.  But he doesn't have the medium like he used to.   

You'll find reasonable responses to reasonable discussions/topics.  A conspiracy theory isn't one of those.  

You are completely eliminating the option that these writers are more supportive because they believe more.  They feel the Bills are in better hands.  
Instead, you bring up Pegula could be extorting them.  Someone is lying.  

Your pushing out logic for a conspiracy.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

A and B grades 

Morse

Lotulelei

Ty Nsekhe

Dawkins

John Brown

Hyde

Spain

Taron Johnson

Levi Wallace

Tre’Davious White

Cole Beasley

Allen got a B-

given how badly they got beat i am surprised they had this many players rated A or B..especially Wallace who seemed highly over matched out there

7 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

given how badly they got beat i am surprised they had this many players rated A or B..especially Wallace who seemed highly over matched out there

I didn’t watch the film but there weren’t many yards given up through the air. They used a few different guys vs the WRs and TEs and moved White around which they don’t normally do. Wallace is currently 9th in the league in targets because teams avoid targeting White. He’s allowing a 60% completion rate so definitely holding his own. For comparison Darius slay 58% , Chris Harris 58%  AJ bouye 59% and White 57%.

• Like (+1) 1