Monday pressers at TBD - McDermott, Daboll, & Frazier

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Daboll

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/brian-daboll-keep-working

Could just be me  but between McD's pressor about "coaching his coaches", Daboll's demeanor, and this little suck/lip smack sound he makes, I believe it is possible he got taken to the woodshed today.  He kind of had a similar demeanor after the GB game.

Or maybe I wrong him.  Maybe he takes himself.

I thought EXACTLY the same thing. Different vibe from him for sure.

13 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Daboll has the demeanor of a man that recently received a stern talkin’ to! I have a feeling he is on a short leash.

He should be, some of his play calls are baffling. I think he's killed more drives than the players.

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I wonder why they've gotten away from 5 wide and 2x2 spread gun formations. We also saw WAYYYY less motion on Sunday. 

I'd spread it out every play. To be clear, that doesn't mean throwing the ball 50 times, but rather trying to open up some space

This was my thought, too. Seemed odd that they sat McKenzie for Foster and then tried the one deep shot and that was all we saw of him. And I had read that Philly struggled with a lot of pre-snap motion but they just didn't seem to capitalize on that. 

I think Daboll has made some questionable calls, but I also think he's the most creative OC the Bills have had since Gailey was calling plays (and Marchibroda before that). 

This is a fan base that ran Dan Henning out of town after one season (Marv allegedly quit because he didn't want to follow Ralph's advice and fire him). Henning had been saddled with an awful QB (Todd Collins), yet people blamed him. He was immediately hired by Parcells afterward as QB coach, and Testaverde that season had the best season of his career. The Jets that season went 12-4 and went to AFC championship game.  He then became the OC for a Carolina team that got to the SB with Jake Delhomme and lost on the last play of the game in a shootout.

The point is, more often than not it's about the Jimmys and the Joes, not the Xs and the Os. OCs and DCs are easy targets. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think Daboll has made some questionable calls, but I also think he's the most creative OC the Bills have had since Gailey was calling plays (and Marchibroda before that). 

This is a fan base that ran Dan Henning out of town after one season (Marv allegedly quit because he didn't want to follow Ralph's advice and fire him). Henning had been saddled with an awful QB (Todd Collins), yet people blamed him. He was immediately hired by Parcells afterward as QB coach, and Testaverde that season had the best season of his career. The Jets that season went 12-4 and went to AFC championship game.  He then became the OC for a Carolina team that got to the SB with Jake Delhomme and lost on the last play of the game in a shootout.

The point is, more often than not it's about the Jimmys and the Joes, not the Xs and the Os. OCs and DCs are easy targets. 

It's easy to target Daboll when you call a WR screen 1 yard outside the offensive tackle on 3rd and 9 in the redzone. 

Or when you have small, fast receivers and the mesh concept is not ran more than 2 times a game.

Or when a slant is rarely called with Duke Williams.

Or when your TE's rarely sit in pockets in the middle of a zone defense. 

Or when you run #20 only when there is FB in front of him with 2 TE's. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Chill said:

Sounds like an OC who is handcuffed by his QB and his 8 fumbles. Not good enough. They have to do a better job at fundamentals and techniques. 

This fumble narrative everyone suddenly loves is just garbage.  Again, not a Josh Allen guy but he has around as many fumbles as Daniel Jones, Gardner "Everyone Loves Me" Minshew, Jameis Winston, Joe Flacco and Kirk Cousins.

He has lost less, and fumbles lost is the stat that really matters, as Kyle Allen, Gardner Minshew, Daniel Jones and Jared Goff.     He has the ball in his hand more than most quarterbacks in the league because Buffalo relies on him for both their run and pass game recently.   Daboll is a walking contradiction, he doesnt want Josh to do too much but he wants him to do everything.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Allen hits more throws Daboll looks a better OC. 

20 hours ago, Warcodered said:

thanks Codered.  For some reason my post with all 3 links reverted to the previous version :(

By Jinks Leslie Frazier sounds confident.  Not:

‘“That’s a long day defensively and we had a chance to go back and watch the tape and I think we made the necessary corrections,” Frazier said. “Now we have to get a chance to get out and practice next week and prepare for Washington, who can really run the football as well. But we think we handled what needs to be handled and we’ll see once we get on the field.”’

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

thanks Codered.  For some reason my post with all 3 links reverted to the previous version :(

‘“That’s a long day defensively and we had a chance to go back and watch the tape and I think we made the necessary corrections,” Frazier said. “Now we have to get a chance to get out and practice next week and prepare for Washington, who can really run the football as well. But we think we handled what needs to be handled and we’ll see once we get on the field.”’

Sweet Jane, that is horrible.

6 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Actually sounded eerily similar to what he said about giving up the runs to Miami the week prior.

We are really, really serious this time though :)

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

*shudder*

" ..... we think we handled what needs to be handled ...."

I keep reading that in Jimmy Conway's (De Niro's Goodfellas character) voice.  At least it makes it a little fun.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

" ..... we think we handled what needs to be handled ...."

I keep reading that in Jimmy Conway's (De Niro's Goodfellas character) voice.  At least it makes it a little fun.

McD said the poor run defense it was about "fundamentals" and "technique" and only mentioned the usual culprit, a bad "fit", on the long run right after halftime. To me, that sounds like it's about the players getting handled and not about scheme errors. So I don't think that's something you can easily fix in a week. They either need to change the scheme, get new players, or wait for their current players to gradually improve over several weeks.

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

This fumble narrative everyone suddenly loves is just garbage.  Again, not a Josh Allen guy but he has around as many fumbles as Daniel Jones, Gardner "Everyone Loves Me" Minshew, Jameis Winston, Joe Flacco and Kirk Cousins.

He has lost less, and fumbles lost is the stat that really matters, as Kyle Allen, Gardner Minshew, Daniel Jones and Jared Goff.     He has the ball in his hand more than most quarterbacks in the league because Buffalo relies on him for both their run and pass game recently.   Daboll is a walking contradiction, he doesnt want Josh to do too much but he wants him to do everything.

,....THERE it is in a nut shell and nicely done bro......Allen is his "too quick to use safety valve" to cover his play calling ineptitude.....check his OC resume'....pretty much "one and done"....how come (COUGH)?..........my bad, Cleveland was two years with Mangini.........

1 minute ago, vincec said:

McD said the poor run defense it was about "fundamentals" and "technique" and only mentioned the usual culprit, a bad "fit", on the long run right after halftime. To me, that sounds like it's about the players getting handled and not about scheme errors. So I don't think that's something you can easily fix in a week. They either need to change the scheme, get new players, or wait for their current players to gradually improve over several weeks.

This same defense  shut down Le'Veon Bell, Saquon Barkley, Joe Mixon, shut down the Patriots' entire offense, then shut down Derrick Henry.

Then the BYE came.

And they've sucked in the two games since.

This is perplexing to me.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it’s good. They all should be angry and re-think everything. The coaches should be focused on Washington and treating this game as if the playoffs are on the line. Because they are... for the next 9 games.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

If the QB fumbling is a known issue, why all the designed runs ? Having him run a QB sweep backed up in their own end sounds foolish, no? They do have RBs on the team, but that seems lost on Daboll. 

Give it to Singletary and let him go around the outside.

30 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This same defense  shut down Le'Veon Bell, Saquon Barkley, Joe Mixon, shut down the Patriots' entire offense, then shut down Derrick Henry.

Then the BYE came.

And they've sucked in the two games since.

This is perplexing to me.

Players are thinking of the record. At least subconsciously. 

Playing at 5-1 is different to 3-1 or so as the bills become more favoured to win. It takes a certain mental strength that I dont think this bills team has at this point. I think a big win against a ravens, cowboys can really help that. 

Chan Gailey had plenty of faults. But when the bills started well under him( 2011? - I might be wrong on year) I remember him saying that he wanted to see if they could handle having a good record. They couldn't.

Teams come in with a chip on their shoulder and see a 5-1 team as a scalp.

Killer instinct.

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sooo glad Leslie Frazier is our DC.  Sounds really confident in his adjustments, which probably went something like "Star, you play the one tech rather than the three tech this week.  You'll be in 90% of the game.  Now get out there and occupy some blockers."  That should do the trick.

1 hour ago, vincec said:

They have played better. Milano was out (big drop off ) and Edmunds has been flailing for some reason.

Putting 57 on the line so much befuddles me. over a tackle even. on a run down

much work to be done.
Coaches called a bad game against Philly 

They know it the players know it.

But i am saying it was one game against a SB team.

Learning curves hurt