Carucci: Bills are 5-1, but Josh Allen can’t seem to win no matter what he does

YoloinOhio

22 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Agreed.

I'm not down on Allen or the offense as the Bills revamped the offense, have four new starters on the O-line, all new RB's and TE's and three new WR's. It's taking time for the offense to gel and we've been seeing improvement from them. The Bills haven't developed a good QB since the 1980's [Kelly], so people need to be patient and give Allen some time before you try and run him out of town.

Stop with the straw man arguments.  No one here is saying 5-1 isn’t good enough, and absolutely no one is trying to run Allen out of town.

A young QB is not gonna have a good chance to succeed if you don't build around his strengths and see to it that he gets the coaching that he needs. Consistency IS important to their development. What is happening to Rosen is criminal. Why did Miami give up a 2nd if they aren't gonna give him a chance to succeed? Why didn't the Jets build Darnold a better Offensive line in the offseason? The Jets I believe had more cash to spend than the Bills yet looking at these two teams while the Bills went out and brought in a bunch of guys, the Jets sat on their a$$es after shelling out huge dollars for a Rb (Bell) and a LB (Mosely). Is it really any coincidence that the Bills and Ravens are having winning seasons and appear to be headed for the playoffs? None of these young QB's are ready to step right in and be instant stars in the NFL. They played in totally different systems in college and it will simply take time before they are truly ready to lead and win games for their respective NFL teams. Too many fans want instant results yesterday and it simply isn't gonna happen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Stop with the straw man arguments.  No one here is saying 5-1 isn’t good enough, and absolutely no one is trying to run Allen out of town.

Well, I probably see as much of what's posted here as anyone.

I've seen people asserting that Barkley would run this offense better, comparing Allen to EJ Manuel and Losman, and saying we ought to draft another QB high next year.  Not in the distant past, either - just earlier this week.   Not just one either, a number of people here.   Now they weren't exactly using the words "let's run Allen out of town", but I think the views they were expressing were in fact right up that alley for meaning.

And yeah, I've seen a number people asserting it's a problem we aren't blowing teams out of the water.  Not just fans, media national and local.  Again, while that's not exactly using the words "5-1 isn't good enough", I think the views they were expressing were in fact pretty much That Same Thing.

So, my vote is: Not Straw.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Exactly.  Too many people are hellbent on being, "right," and put that before Bills winning games.  At least enjoying when they do.

I almost feel sorry for them.  Almost.

I learned this week they are not negative they are trying to carry on a adult conversation.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Come on already...nobody?! Fans get greedy, I’ve seen it tons of times with not only the Bills and Sabres over the years, but with other franchises. During the Superbowl years, there were fans who wanted Reich to be the starter. During the late 90’s under Wade Phillips, fans were complaining about Doug Flutie and his completion percentage, even though the Bills were winning and had a dominating defense. During the 2006-07 playoffs, Sabres fans were complaining that the Sabres weren’t beating their opponents by enough goals. 

What happens if Allen plays the same game as last week, but instead Knox catches the easy throw and the deep ball goes to foster instead of useless Roberts and the Bills beat the Eagles, what will people complain about him?

I know the expectation is that he's perfect not even halfway through year 2. But, it seems that he cleans up everything that people trash him over:

1. The completion % is up 10pts

2. The turnovers are way down the last 2 weeks

3. He leads the league in 4th q passer rating and comebacks

4. His short game is rated amongst the best in the league

5. I could go on

The current trashing is that he isn't hitting the deep ball and winning is not good enough all of a sudden...unless we stomp everybody. What's it going to be next week?

12 hours ago, Dave Allen said:

What I think frustrates a lot of national media about Allen is that, among all other quarterbacks, he is unique. He can't be lumped in with Cam Newton and the other QBs, or the strong-armed guys. His natural skills off the charts. His strengths AND his flaws are both at the opposite far edges of the charts (for now). His first-half performances have been lacking, his second halves have been great. On one hand,  it makes it impossible to peg him, or rank him against his peers on a comparable scale. On the other hand, he gives his detractors enough ammo to keep taking swings at him. 

What stands out to me are his comebacks. To me, the fact that he's has performed so many fourth-quarter comebacks says more about him than any other metric. The man is clutch. The fact that many of them came against 'lesser' teams is meaningless. You do it this many times, it means something.

It means that as the game goes on he is learning what the defense is trying to do and he is finding out how to beat that.  It's a good sign.  He is so young and has yet to face many different defensive strategies... the kid is actually learning during the game.  Wait until a year or two from now if he continues to learn at that pace.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Josh is just wrapping up the equivalent of one (1) full nfl season of games played as a starter—we cannot forget that, which is why I feel like he’s growing as rapidly into his role as we could possibly reasonably expect, plus some gravy to boot! Outside of the evil empire NE, he hasn’t lost a game since Dec 9 of 2018, FWIW

http://www.nfl.com/player/joshallen/2560955/gamelogs?season=2018

Until Josh stops making the bone-headed plays, he will always be questioned.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ganesh said:

And until he stops showing that he’s quite capable of willing the Bills to W’s time after time especially when it counts most in the 4th, I’ll continue to add his gear to what I rock on game days :D

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

And until he stops showing that he’s quite capable of willing the Bills to W’s time after time especially when it counts most in the 4th, I’ll continue to add his gear to what I rock on game days :D

I don;'t think what we think about Josh (his ability to win games for us) has anything to do with how thee national media will perceive him

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

Do you even watch the games? He has not made bone-headed plays in the last couple games. He has been playing "clean" in the words of McDermott.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

Exactly.  Too many people are hellbent on being, "right," and put that before Bills winning games.  At least enjoying when they do.

I almost feel sorry for them.  Almost.

From the Sabres forum analytic type after latest win:

"I’d say it’s about dissecting the goal differential to see what it might mean for the future while at the same time not allowing how much they win by to affect my ability to enjoy wins in the moment. 

7-6 OT Drury would be much the worse for as 7-1 EN Drury. Future implications be damned. 

But caring in the macro makes sense. But it’s not required reading. "

If you change goal diff for point diff it fits here as well. This guy is cheering for the numbers like some on here. 

23 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

The only fans who don't look back fondly on 4 straight years of Super Bowl appearances were either too young or too dumb to appreciate what we had. 

I was in my early 20's, went to a lot of the games, a few of the playoff games.  They choked again and again.  Sure, there were great regular season and playoff wins, but they choked every time when it really mattered. Ultimately they were losers, as most NFL fans see them when looking back (except some Bills fans, as that's all they really have to hold on to).

Edited by Seven-N-Nine

25 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I was in my early 20's, went to a lot of the games, a few of the playoff games.  They choked again and again.  Sure, there were great regular season and playoff wins, but they choked every time when it really mattered. Ultimately they were losers, as most NFL fans see them when looking back (except some Bills fans, as that's all they really have to hold on to).

If you dont look at those years fondly than that is your issue.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Sure there were great wins?

That's your characterization of a 4-year run where literally no team could keep them out of the Super Bowl?

What a tragically dumb take

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Do you even watch the games? He has not made bone-headed plays in the last couple games. He has been playing "clean" in the words of McDermott.

Outside of the Pats game, over the last 4 he has only thrown 2 total ints.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I find your takes to be that of a troll and not a Bills fan.  That is all..