Carucci: Bills are 5-1, but Josh Allen can’t seem to win no matter what he does

YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He worked out for the Bills last year during the season as I recall 

Worked out with Josh and Darnold leading up to the draft too. 

ill take our Allen any day of the week, but at 5-0, the other Allen is doing pretty well as a 2018 draft alumn

Allen needs to be 4th quarter Josh Allen all game. He is too inconsistent.  Even if he played 3 good quarters and 1 bad that would be fine, but right now he is just not putting 4 quarters together.  The good ones have a rough series here and there, but not multiple bad quarters week after week. Part of it is being young and part of it is being inaccurate.

Edited by FUTURIST

13 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Up and down was the problem with Darnold coming out.  He has the tendency to be a turnover machine.  Will crazy Gase get him over it?  Gase doesnt seem interested in having him as his QB though, so I doubt it.

Gase is not an honest broker so I can’t see Darnold or the rest of that team actually wanting to play for him if things continue on the present course.

Good article, thanks for posting it, Yolo. 

From the start, when they drafted the kid, my thoughts on him have been this: He's a gamer. It's not always gonna be pretty, it's not always gonna go down the way fans would like to see it go down (you know, like he said, rack up 300 yards and beat their opponent by 42 points every game), he's gonna have some rough stretches here and there. But when the game is on the line, it really feels like they're always gonna have a shot with him under center. He just has that air to him and he's already shown it several times in his short career. 

The other thing he's shown so far is the ability to take to coaching and make genuine adjustments and improvements to his game. The article highlighted it perfectly, he struggled mightily on shorter throws last season but this year he's one of the best in the league at it. Seeing that improvement helps reassure me that he'll start hitting on the deep throws as well. Again, he's only 17 games into his career, hasn't seen every defensive look out there, hasn't played all 31 other teams, he's still gaining experience. And what better way to gain experience by winning in the process? 

I think he's gonna be a good one. I think more fans need to accept the fact that he's probably gonna make you scratch your head now and then, but in between those moments he's also gonna have times where you're picking your jaw up off the floor because you can't believe he just completed the pass that he did. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But you said Lamar will regress with tape.  All offseason I heard he was a rb who was playing qb. He has improved as a passer.  Why can’t he continue to improve?

I didn't say that at all

All I said is just wait till there is a few years of tape on him to see how nuanced of a passer he really is

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hmmm has someone been watching Ravens film?

I've been watching a lot of the young QBs and they all have their strengths and weaknesses

Lamar has been very much improved but alot of it is very good scheming .. he has also been very close to being destroyed a few times

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

What says that will be a fact? Baker has regressed and Lamar is exciting but wait till there is a few years of tape on him

Darnold has not looked good

If Josh keeps grinding he can have a better career that all then, it's crazy to say it's set in stone after 17 games

Absolutely nothing.  

thus far the he offense is getting no respect by a good portion of the media.  

I just posted a link in the game week thread.

5-1 Bills hear your snide criticisms and are annoyed

Kimberley A. Martin

October 25, 2019, 2:42 PM EDT

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Micah Hyde has grown accustomed to being an afterthought, overlooked by so many along his journey from college to the pros. And after almost three seasons in Buffalo, the veteran safety understands why the football world refuses to give this Bills defense its due

this thread is possibly THE better place for it. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/51-bills-hear-your-snide-criticisms-and-are-annoyed-184224349.html

INSERT RODNEY DANGERFIELD PICTURE 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

This is good to have confirmation from Dorsey and from Barkley. I had a feeling this was the case with Josh. With an attitude and behavior like this he will most certainly continue to get better. That said, it is a shame that more fans will not embrace him for the character quality he exudes and the professionalism he puts into becoming better. The man deserves this and much more.

Of course, we know his talents. We understand he possesses all the tools required. We heard that he has the work ethic. As a young professional athlete, you really cannot ask for any more.

He has to show it on the field on a consistent basis...day in day out.   His legend will continue to grow as he grows.   He has to show that he is cutting down his mental mistakes and playing a mistake free game...He has now done it two weeks in a row...one on the road and one at home.  If he continues to do that and put the team in a good position to win, he will win the hearts of the city and the NFL.   

In 2002, I remember a rookie Big Ben being asked to play a Game Manager while his defense and ST played lights out on their way to the AFC Conference title and the SB next year.   Coach Cowher knew how to keep the strong armed QB from making mistakes and play smart football.  His stats were not that great...but he never had to do anything like a super hero.   Our team needs to do the same...

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I’ve seen “ Excellent D” win more than a few Superbowls...... Just, sayin’?

Earlier today, Pat Kirwan was with John Clayton on "Moving the Chains," and a Pats* fan called in confused that anyone thinks Brady leaving the Pats* means there will be a different leader in the AFC East. He said he's seen enough of Darnold, Rosen and Allen to know none of them are franchise quarterbacks, but Bellicheck* is a QB-making machine, with Garappolo and Brissett as two examples.

Kirwan reminded the caller (or probably taught him) that Garappolo and Brissett are gone, and after Brady* there is Jarrett Stidham, and he ain't Garappolo or Brissett.

He also explained that Pats* fans would be foolish to think the Bills won't be a serious contender within the next two years. He said the coaching staff, the defense and Allen are for real and by 2021 they'll be a top contender, even if Brady is still playing.

Clayton, of course, jumps in with "Well, they haven't beat anyone this year, so the team looks like fools gold" and Kirwan reminded him (I am now getting to the point) that the year the Ravens won the SB with Dilfer, nine of their wins came against teams with losing records.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

Clayton, of course, jumps in with "Well, they haven't beat anyone this year, so the team looks like fools gold" and Kirwan reminded him (I am now getting to the point) that the year the Ravens won the SB with Dilfer, n

Wrong answer 

The Pats haven’t beaten anyone else besides the Bills with a winning record 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Wrong answer 

The Pats haven’t beaten anyone else besides the Bills with a winning record 

He did bring that up, actually. He also told Clayton you should never apologize for your schedule. The game relies on all kinds of variables. The schedule is one of them. It requires no apologies.

I've always like Kirwan, but this year he straight up admitted he was wrong about Josh Allen. He see's him getting better, and loves McDermott and company.

• Like (+1) 3