Is Star Lotulelei A Liability on the DL?

Just now, GG said:

That is correct - restructure with a huge cut in pay.  Hopefully he doesn't freak out like Richie did.

Ok I can get on board with a complete tear up of the contract and a new one with a 4M AVV

Edited by MAJBobby

Are there any other 11 year olds who listen to the lame GR blabbers on their transistor radio and think it’s worthy to create a friggin thread about?

Or is Pill the white shows the only one? 

If it’s Thursday, it must be Billy the Jill thread day..?

Just now, MJS said:

That's not really what that means. Quality players are available every year in free agency. Every team has their own unique cap and roster situation. Did we let Gilmore go because he wasn't worth the money? That's a gross oversimplification.

It looks like Star consistently gets 40% of the snaps. That's a large percentage. McDermott and Frazier aren't imbeciles. They've shown that they are willing to bench players that don't produce. Star probably does what they ask him to do most of the time, which is why he continues to play.

I'm not going to pretend (like others here are) that I know more than the coaches who have gotten us to a 5-1 record PRIMARILY on the strength of our elite defense.

He was losing snaps to Harrison Phillips before the Injury.  Meaning he was being benched.  Only reason he is still at 40% overall is because of the Harry Injury.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

He was losing snaps to Harrison Phillips before the Injury.  Meaning he was being benched.  Only reason he is still at 40% overall is because of the Harry Injury.

He's been at 40% or above every week except one.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

This statement would apply to every single free agent who changes teams.....

So you think Star  is playing to his contract?

Just now, MJS said:

He's been at 40% or above every week except one.

And was trending DOWN with Harry Trending up EVERY week until the Harry Injury

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

There wasn't much of a difference in snaps between Phillips and Star.  Only one game did Phillips have more snaps than Star and it was 5 more against a team that throws a lot...

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Star is worthless and Edmunds still has his struggles. 

So Freudian slip ish, it's as if you were describing yourself,  5-1 my friend, 5-1, ?

Go Bills!!!

So you think Star  is playing to his contract?

No he's overpaid which a lot of FA are.

I've never argued he's not overpaid, I've argued he's not worthless.

I think you're exaggerating Phillips trending up/Star trending down.  I've pasted the snap counts.  

• Like (+1) 1

There wasn't much of a difference in snaps between Phillips and Star.  Only one game did Phillips have more snaps than Star and it was 5 more against a team that throws a lot...

Point remains Both Phillips trending up in snaps and Star trending down then Harry got hurt

Its fine i only have to watch the 10M man get put on skates and not offer any penetration one more year

No he's overpaid which a lot of FA are.

I've never argued he's not overpaid, I've argued he's not worthless.

I think you're exaggerating Phillips trending up/Star trending down.  I've pasted the snap counts.  

Yes you have and when you look Both Phillips are gaining snaps and Star was losing snaps and then the INJ happened.  Hence Trend

a liability ? NO.....but he aint worth anywhere near what they're paying him.

plays about half the snaps.

gets very little push.

has zero pursuit...in fact i'd go so far as to say he quits after 3  seconds.

rarely double teamed....maybe 25% of his snaps

has 6 tackles  and zero sacks so far  this season (kyle williams finished last year with 34 tackles and 5 sacks)

YOU  COULD  GET  SOMEONE  ALOT  CHEAPER  TO  DO  SAME  WORK

MajBob says he's sitting at a 40% rate, and I have no reason to doubt him. This means he's in for 60%, if my math is right. We are tied for 10th in avg yds per carry against in the NFL. He's gotta be doing something right. With Philips out, I am damn glad to have Star. As for his contract, the front office is managing the cap well and knows what they are doing. We are 5-1 and showing very well on defense, I wouldn't change a thing. Dear Star, sorry but you might be the new whipping boy with Zay gone. Just keep doing what you do to help this defense keep us in games while the offense continues to figure it out.

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

MajBob says he's sitting at a 40% rate, and I have no reason to doubt him. This means he's in for 60%, if my math is right. We are tied for 10th in avg yds per carry against in the NFL. He's gotta be doing something right. With Philips out, I am damn glad to have Star. As for his contract, the front office is managing the cap well and knows what they are doing. We are 5-1 and showing very well on defense, I wouldn't change a thing. Dear Star, sorry but you might be the new whipping boy with Zay gone. Just keep doing what you do to help this defense keep us in games while the offense continues to figure it out.

image.thumb.png.b431737a765f8e461dd97366f935d6df.pngHere's the snap counts.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Tell me where the trend is.  I've pasted the snap counts.

sure first three weeks was Harry’s Snap counts increasing?  Yep. (Trending Up)

was Stars decreasing? Yep (Trending Down). 

see Trends 

i thought he was decent last year, clearly was not cheap to sign tho.

he does seem to have fallen off some.

I remember when this guy was coming out of college, he was considered one of the top two or three players in the draft due to talent.

I wonder if something is physically wrong w him this year.

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Maybe slightly, but we're talking about the difference of only a few snaps.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

See the trends. Star 42% to 34% 

Harry 33% to 42%.

hmmm seems like Harry was trending up and Star trending Down. See the trends now 

Actually this is a case of a single outlier. Star had one game under 40%. Every other game he has consistently had 27-30 snaps. Phillips had 24 to 28 snaps a game.

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

see Trends 

LOL...we're talking about a few snaps here and there and nothing dramatic.  

Phillips biggest difference in snaps in 3 games was 4....4.

The biggest drop off with Star with the Bengals who lead the entire NFL in passing attempts.  

If we use your rationale, Ed Oliver was trending down in the first 3 weeks....

So was Jerry Hughes...

So was Tre White....

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Maybe slightly, but we're talking about the difference of only a few snaps.

Actually this is a case of a single outlier. Star had one game under 40%. Every other game he has consistently had 27-30 snaps. Phillips had 24 to 28 snaps a game.

always look at Percentage doesn’t artificially tell the story with small or big number of snaps by total defense. 

granted it is a 3 week trend as Phillips got hurt but a shift of -8% for star and a +9% for Harry is showing Phillips was taking on a larger roll on the DL as Star was losing it. 

Succinctly, Star is a McDermott guy. He anchored Sean’s defense in Carolina, where you build the Defense from the front back. Phillips, Phillips, Oliver, Peko are nice pieces as well. 

The nonsense of this weeks’ Kill the Thrill thread is no one who follows the Bills closely cares what the simpletons on WGR think and less what participants at the Kiddies Table think. 

McDermott has this team on the brink of a 2nd playoff season in his 3rd year. This defense has been built to Sean’s exacting specifications and Star was a Must Have for him in this endeavor.

Everything else is BS.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The biggest drop off with Star with the Bengals who lead the entire NFL in passing attempts.  

So was Jerry Hughes...

So was Tre White....

spin it how you want to. The trend is there. Too bad Phillips got hurt so people can finally put this Star thing to bed. 

11 minutes ago, colin said:

i thought he was decent last year, clearly was not cheap to sign tho.

he does seem to have fallen off some.

I remember when this guy was coming out of college, he was considered one of the top two or three players in the draft due to talent.

I wonder if something is physically wrong w him this year.

He was never considered to be a top 3 player.  Maybe top 3 at DT

always look at Percentage doesn’t artificially tell the story with small or big number of snaps by total defense. 

granted it is a 3 week trend as Phillips got hurt but a shift of -8% for star and a +9% for Harry is showing Phillips was taking on a larger roll on the DL as Star was losing it. 

The only reason you're using percentage is because it's showing a bigger difference.

It was 2...2 snaps difference in that 9% shift.  2 snaps Bobby because the defense was on the field overall less.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Succinctly, Star is a McDermott guy. He anchored Sean’s defense in Carolina, where you build the Defense from the front back. Phillips, Phillips, Oliver, Peko are nice pieces as well. 

The nonsense of this weeks’ Kill the Thrill thread is no one who follows the Bills closely cares what the simpletons on WGR think and less what participants at the Kiddies Table think. 

McDermott has this team on the brink of a 2nd playoff season in his 3rd year. This defense has been built to Sean’s exacting specifications and Star was a Must Have for him in this endeavor.

Everything else is BS.

good he overpaid a roll player glad Beane is here instead of McD making those calls 

The only reason you're using percentage is because it's showing a bigger difference.

It was 2...2 snaps difference in that 9% shift.  2 snaps Bobby because the defense was on the field overall less.  

no you always use percentage. If one week defense faces 80 plays and the next they face 50 the raw snap numbers tell a different story. Sorry 

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

see Trends 

Snaps are predicated on the teams offense we play as well our guys skill  skill set, snap counts fluctuate throughout a season for more reasons than a fans pedestrian observation. Doesn’t mean you’re wrong, but doesn’t mean you’re right either. Your verbiage reflects an absolutism that is likely not so.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Everything else is BS.

Well put. This is absolutely correct. I encourage everyone to go back and watch old Panthers defense when this gang was back in Carolina and see how similar it looks. 

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So was Jerry Hughes...

So was Tre White....

This is some massive conflation going on here.

As is the idea that Star's contract isn't bad because all UFAs are overpaid. :lol:

This is some straight-up TBD surface level analysis right there.

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

image.thumb.png.b431737a765f8e461dd97366f935d6df.pngHere's the snap counts.

Thanks, I was going by a poster's #'s. I'm still glad he's here considering the injury to Phillips and don't care what he's paid. We are managing the cap well enough. Seems folks want to find something to complain about, including Joe Buscaglia. We've sucked for most of 20 years and are 5-1 and getting better. Some people just can't enjoy good things.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

good he overpaid a roll player glad Beane is here instead of McD making those calls 

Explain where we’re hurting financially as a result of this signing. Unless you can’t. 

If not, take a seat at the little people’s table. They’re serving PB&J today.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Snaps are predicated on the teams offense we play as well our guys skill  skill set, snap counts fluctuate throughout a season for more reasons than a fans pedestrian observation. Doesn’t mean you’re wrong, but doesn’t mean you’re right either. Your verbiage reflects an absolutism that is likely not so.

Go Bills!!!

ok 2 year for Star. At 10M bucks. Name me One impactful play he has made.