Is Star Lotulelei A Liability on the DL?

Just now, BillsVet said:

This is some massive conflation going on here.

As is the idea that Star's contract isn't bad because all UFAs are overpaid. :lol:

This is some straight-up TBD surface level analysis right there.

Star's contract isn't keeping us from signing anyone, it shouldn't bother anyone in the least.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

no you always use percentage. If one week defense faces 80 plays and the next they face 50 the raw snap numbers tell a different story. Sorry 

Yep...everything is linear LOL.

It doesn't matter if you play against a run heavy team or a pass heavy team or if you're down on the scoreboard....nothing changes at all right?  Just use percentage LOL...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

The most Over paid player on this football team, and sad thing is they are stuck with that Contract thru next year too.

Was never a fan of this signing, mostly because of the compensation. He's not a 10 mil a year player. He's a average NT at best.

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Maybe slightly, but we're talking about the difference of only a few snaps.

Actually this is a case of a single outlier. Star had one game under 40%. Every other game he has consistently had 27-30 snaps. Phillips had 24 to 28 snaps a game.

This ^^^^  read um and weep, ?

Go Bills!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Explain where we’re hurting financially as a result of this signing. Unless you can’t. 

If not, take a seat at the little people’s table. They’re serving PB&J today.

sure because if Star’s contract could we have signed a better OC or WR last year if we didn’t have that initial Star Contract?  

So you are gonna sit there and tell me is isn’t overpaid for what he offers?

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Star's contract isn't keeping us from signing anyone, it shouldn't bother anyone in the least.

It sure did last year didn’t it

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

too many to count. He's a major reason were a really good d over the past 2 years.

then None thanks. If you cannot easily name a Star impact play there isn’t one 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

sure because if Star’s contract could we have signed a better OC or WR last year if we didn’t have that initial Star Contract?  

So you are gonna sit there and tell me is isn’t overpaid for what he offers?

It sure did last year didn’t it

No. The contracts they worked on getting rid of did. They know what they are doing and for you to think you know better is :lol:

Edited by Dopey

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

ok 2 year for Star. At 10M bucks. Name me One impactful play he has made. 

Not what the discussion is about.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Succinctly, Star is a McDermott guy. He anchored Sean’s defense in Carolina, where you build the Defense from the front back. Phillips, Phillips, Oliver, Peko are nice pieces as well. 

The nonsense of this weeks’ Kill the Thrill thread is no one who follows the Bills closely cares what the simpletons on WGR think and less what participants at the Kiddies Table think. 

McDermott has this team on the brink of a 2nd playoff season in his 3rd year. This defense has been built to Sean’s exacting specifications and Star was a Must Have for him in this endeavor.

Everything else is BS.

You have it backwards.   His worth to McD last year was to provide veteran presence for The Process.   Few people compliment him for his play, but he's nearly unanimously praised for his locker room presence and his influence on the young kids.

I can make an argument that the Process is now fully baked in, there's less of a need for Star's locker room presence, especially when his play on the field is slipping.

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I was listening to Joe Buscaglia preview the Bills game this morning on Jerry Sullivan and said the game is a coin flip.  He thinks the Eagles have a good offense that will try to challenge the Bills and run inside.  Not only is that the strength of the Philly OL, but it was a big weakness last week vs a terrible Miami OL.  This is why a nobody like Mark Walton ran for a few big plays - though overall he didn’t put up a ton of numbers.

Joe’s main culprit is Star Loutelelei.  He said he has been terrible this year and is not winning matchups very well.  While he never put up stats, he’s not doing a very good job holding his ground either.  His replacement Kyle Peko has been worse.  Miami pushed him around all day resulting in more big plays.  

Since Peko and Star were so terrible, the Bills were forced to line up Jordan Phillips who plays on the other side at 1 technique next to Ed Oliver.  

This is a pretty big concern to me when the guy you paid $10 million a year is awful at DT and can’t even get on the field a crucial times.  

The inside runs could be something to watch as Philly might try to set up for a few play action bombs.  

First of all nobody is a nobody in the NFL. 

Second , Walton was pretty damn good at Miami , RB U.

Remember when we picked up nobody Gillislee off waivers? And he ripped everybody for 5 yards a Carry?

Walton has some good traits for a back

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

This is some massive conflation going on here.

As is the idea that Star's contract isn't bad because all UFAs are overpaid. :lol:

This is some straight-up TBD surface level analysis right there.

I specifically said Star is overpaid in previous posts and never alluded to it wasn't a bad contract.

Is this still some straight up TBD surface level analysis?

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

no you always use percentage. If one week defense faces 80 plays and the next they face 50 the raw snap numbers tell a different story. Sorry 

All it takes is for an offense to go no huddle and to force the defense to stay on the field when they would have substituted and it throws the percentages completely off. None of these "trends" you speak of would be anywhere close to statistically significant.

9 minutes ago, Dopey said:

No. The contracts they worked on getting rid of did. They know what they are doing and for you to think you know better is :lol:

ahhh work on getting rid of bad contracts and hand one right to Star. 

now I laid off Star last year because of the below Market Contracts we also got in Hyde and Poyer. However with new contracts upcoming needed to sign time to look at Underperforming big Contracts and Star is one of them. 

Edited by MAJBobby

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

it absolutely is. Is Star earning his 10m AVV?

Nope, 

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

ahhh work on getting rid of bad contracts and hand one right to Star. 

now I laid off Star last year because of the below Market Contracts we also got in Hyde and Poyer. However with new contracts upcoming needed to sign time to look at Underperforming big Contracts and Star is one of them. 

Valid points, no doubt. I still trust the process, Star played really well last year and he's not the dumpster fire he's being made out to be this year. If they dump him after this year, I'm fine with it but we really need him with Phillips gone. I will say, I wanted us to pursue Ndamukong Suh in the off-season. He's making just under $10 million, but he's a big reason they are giving up less than 3yds a game vs. the run.