Gase upset Darnold’s “seeing ghosts” being aired.

Beast

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

seeing ghosts is a standard term that QBs and Coaches use when talking to QBs. 

meaning “seeing something that isn’t there”. All the Jets crying about it is doing is fueling the Memes and Gif. Hell even Farve out talking about it. 

Seeing ghosts is a standard term for anybody but the QB to use during a game. He has to be the most poised regardless of outcome...

the defensive coordinator can say we got this kid seeing ghosts...

The QB coach can tell his kid, you're seeing ghosts out there

But a QB cannot be heard saying that during a game

• Thank you (+1) 1

I question Gase's judgement. Why would you put your young QB in that situation. If he wants to blame anyone he needs to look in the mirror. It would have made more sense to have Mosley a well respected Veteran and leader on the defense  wear the mic, instead of a 23 yr old trying to figure out how to play under the MNF lights, against a defensive genius that has a long history of destroying young QB's. IMO Gase set Darnold up to fail on the biggest stage of his young career.  Gase is an idiot and a moron, and makes Rex look like an intellectual.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I've heard other mic'd up comments during the broadcast. This is a normal thing, isn't it?

I think there are probably restrictions for competitive reasons on what's said when.  For example,  a D player's comments to his position coach or DC about schemes shouldn't be aired.  As I understand it, Darnold's comment was made while he was looking at photos on the tablet, probably to a position coach or fellow QB.

Stuff said during that time shouldn't be aired, and that's why Gase is upset about it.

2 hours ago, teef said:

I’d be upset too. That ***** is embarrassing. 

He's not upset because it's embarrassing, he's upset because something said at a time that should have been protected got aired 'cuz someone thought it would make a good storyline for a dismal game.  And it did indeed.

Unfortunately Gase airing his displeasure in public is only growing the story.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Seeing ghosts is a standard term for anybody but the QB to use during a game. He has to be the most poised regardless of outcome...

so he looked at the tablet saw what was going on and made a comment that he is seeing ghosts to the QB coach in a conversation what is the problem again?

4 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I have found the things that are usually the most upsetting are the things that were in you’re control, and you totally messed up. THAT stuff will make you the craziest! There was no need To mic up a young QB vs this Patriots defense! It’s NOT required. Crazy stuff there! Nothing good would happen from it, and Gase sees that now.  It’s easier if someone else messed up. For Gase, this fits in that category.

Edited by Augie

2 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

How did he get a head coaching job right after Miami? What made them think he would be a good head coach?

It’s the Jets???     ?‍♂️

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Kyle Van Noy seems to agree with you.  A bit incredulous.  "He said that?  Oooooh.  Man.  Oh man."  then during a question: "Sorry, sorry.  He really said that?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think there are probably restrictions for competitive reasons on what's said when.  For example,  a D player's comments to his position coach or DC about schemes shouldn't be aired.  As I understand it, Darnold's comment was made while he was looking at photos on the tablet, probably to a position coach or fellow QB.

Stuff said during that time shouldn't be aired, and that's why Gase is upset about it.

He's not upset because it's embarrassing, he's upset because something said at a time that should have been protected got aired 'cuz someone thought it would make a good storyline for a dismal game.  And it did indeed.

Unfortunately Gase airing his displeasure in public is only growing the story.

With regard to restrictions, I read the following today in the NY Post. Would be interested if anyone can confirm or refute:

The way that it works when a player is mic’d up is that NFL Films has a representative listening in on site. That representative then gives the go-ahead to air a comment or to keep it off air. ESPN sometimes airs the comment without anyone from their network listening, trusting that the NFL Films representative has approved it.

The team is giving special access to their players and expects NFL Films to serve as a buffer to make sure nothing embarrassing or anything that would put a player in a bad light is aired. In this case, the Jets feel NFL Films did not do that. The “seeing ghosts” comment is going to stick to Darnold for a while.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/22/jets-furious-espn-aired-sam-darnolds-seeing-ghosts-comment/

With regard to Gase adding fuel to the fire - I look for any reason to bash the Jets and Gase, but I have no problem with him airing his displeasure if what's outlined above is correct.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Was he talking to a QB coach?

It's not clear but apparently one of the coaches.  I think they've pulled the clip as far as they can.  The one I found, he's looking down at the tablet, then he looks up and to his right (one assumes to one of his coaches or fellow QB) and says "seeing ghosts"

It's not like he came off the field to the sideline and made that comment to his OL or his WR

Completely agree that it's a strange thing to focus on which only helps the legend of Gase being a total weirdo but I kind of want to give him a sliver of credit on this one? I fully expected him to throw Darnold under the bus or start to distance himself, but he kind of did the opposite in his own sleep deprived, conspiratorial way.

Edited by Nelius