Peter King about the Bills - 10/21

inthebuff

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

White was the author of one of the worst efforts of the game.   His attempt to ankle tackle the kicker on the fake field goal that lead to a first down.   I mean......WTF it's the kicker........hit the MOFO up high and knock him on his shell.   Tre White has his moments where he loses focus and concentration.............but then he bounced right back and TOTALLY REDEEMED himself with the INT.    Great play.   

Oh yeah...everyone makes bad decisions or loses focus during a game. When someone like White does it, it is a lot more noticeable, but good players have that knack to redeem themselves with big plays. White did just that. My original response was more about White doing what he is paid to do. White has a lot of respect around the NFL...thats all he needs.  

Edited by Rocket94

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

White was the author of one of the worst efforts of the game.   His attempt to ankle tackle the kicker on the fake field goal that lead to a first down.   I mean......WTF it's the kicker........hit the MOFO up high and knock him on his shell.   Tre White has his moments where he loses focus and concentration.............but then he bounced right back and TOTALLY REDEEMED himself with the INT.    Great play.   

He actually didn't ankle takle him. He was coming in from the side and hit him in the ribs, he just wasn't able to wrap up. His mistake was not getting his helmet on the front side and hitting him a little more in the front than the side. I wouldn't characterize it as "one of the worst efforts of the game."

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Fitzpatrick always plays the Bills tough, so I’m not so down on the Bills like a lot of people seem to be. Plus, the Bills had a few injuries on defense which impacted their play.  

This.

Fitzy has a long record of keeping bad teams in games until late ... and then throwing INTs.

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Honestly, why do some fans feel the need to put an asterisk next to every Bills win - or to qualify it in some way?

Every fan base does it, and for good reason.

The Bills absolutely get credit for winning five of six. They could have lost the games and they didn't.

But it's only reasonable to point out strength of schedule (either way) as a factor in record. Look at Pats coverage. They're getting less of this due to having blowouts rather than close games, but people are still pointing out the same thing. And again, for good reason.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Every fan base does it, and for good reason.

The Bills absolutely get credit for winning five of six. They could have lost the games and they didn't.

But it's only reasonable to point out strength of schedule (either way) as a factor in record. Look at Pats coverage. They're getting less of this due to having blowouts rather than close games, but people are still pointing out the same thing. And again, for good reason.

It actually feels even more pronounced in this fan base. Almost as if a number of fans are so jaded from the last 18+ years, that they are convincing themselves that this team is not really that good in order to say "I knew it" when (in their minds) they inevitably collapse or fail.

Just my opinion

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

yep and then topped it off with the forced fumble!

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

He actually didn't ankle takle him. He was coming in from the side and hit him in the ribs, he just wasn't able to wrap up. His mistake was not getting his helmet on the front side and hitting him a little more in the front than the side. I wouldn't characterize it as "one of the worst efforts of the game."

I'm pretty sure he was credited with the tackle AND that the kicker didn't fall until White was grasping at his ankles..............so yes I'd say that's an ankle tackle.     Again, this was a kicker.   I get trying to tackle a 230# RB or 250# TE low.   A kicker?  You wrap and stand that guy up and put him on his back if you are a defensive player.    I suspect he and the other day-dreaming defenders forgot that it was fourth and short and not fourth and goal because the urgency to stop the ball was not there.    

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I find this to be disingenuous. White is lined up 3 ft from the end to block the punt from the outside. Instead he stays home and identifies the fake and comes from the end to tackle the holder (too late, yes). In my view he *saved* a TD there and was one of the only players to ID the fake quickly. He subsequently *saved* the game two plays later, and again by forcing the fumble. Three monumental and individual efforts by my count. 

Phillips getting plowed over and hurt by Fitz (a QB) after he sat on a forced fumble while celebrating a sack are my nods to poor efforts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Best Williams Available said:

I find this to be disingenuous. White is lined up 3 ft from the end to block the punt from the outside. Instead he stays home and identifies the fake and comes from the end to tackle the holder (too late, yes). In my view he *saved* a TD there and was one of the only players to ID the fake quickly. He subsequently *saved* the game two plays later, and again by forcing the fumble. Three monumental and individual efforts by my count. 

Phillips getting plowed over and hurt by Fitz (a QB) after he sat on a forced fumble while celebrating a sack are my nods to poor efforts.

Your perception is probably colored by your surprise at the fake.   Everyone should have been expecting a fake there.   It was an 0-5 team with nothing to lose and there is no chance to block a kick in that close.   The ONLY play there is to plan and defend against the fake.   White played it like it was 4th and goal not fourth and short.  Agreed that Phillips play was stupid.   It was a very unfocused effort by the defense.   Bad situational football much of the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

There are QBs who should have punters, kickers or some other position IF they could not be QB and other QBs who should have been LBs, DBs or TEs. 

Fritz is one of the latter.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Gisele said:

is there video?

It doesn't show really well.  Basically after the INT, they rolled over onto the sideline together stretched lengthwise almost in a line, helmet to helmet with the Dolphins WR hands and arms over his head pulling on whatever they could reach.  You can see him pull, and then Tre separates without his helmet and the Dolphins guy seems to let go of it quick.

image.png.859541305e752823f1cba16a17f6d391.png

image.png.63cf2e22a08993c8cb730aed9b30f006.png

image.png.8e5a0d93b56dde3419ddcae70967b7d4.png

Zebra right there too, but somehow he's still looking into the endzone instead of the players rolling on the sideline near his feet.

PS Hughes was held big-time on that play, too.

2 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

Phillips rolled over after sacking Fitz with the ball literally between his legs. 

image.thumb.png.e429bb8f8fc3e1536f3a46c25528bdaa.png

Instead of asking "where's the ball? and grabbing it to tuck it away, I don't think Fitzy plowed him over - I think Phillips was just so full of himself that he got the sack, he had no "ball awareness" at all and rolled over and got up

image.thumb.png.477cf82ffa785a063cbfbb39c99a26d6.png

image.png.a4421d09493993edf8c4cf2d6da348c4.png

It was a great sack, followed by one of the least situationally aware moves I've seen from a good player.

9 hours ago, H2o said:

Make note of that crew though. I hope we don't see them again, especially as the games grow more and more important down the line.

So you are discovered the crew for the NE rematch

• Like (+1) 1

5-1 is worth talking about. Any other team contending for a wild card spot in the AFC has at least 3 losses.  

Considering wed be likely to play one of Indy, Baltimore or Houston, I believe we could have a chance to win a game if we get to the playoffs.

25 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

5-1 is worth talking about. Any other team contending for a wild card spot in the AFC has at least 3 losses.  

Considering wed be likely to play one of Indy, Baltimore or Houston, I believe we could have a chance to win a game if we get to the playoffs.

We need to win that playoff game or this place will be even more miserable than if we miss they playoffs. 

6 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

It actually feels even more pronounced in this fan base. Almost as if a number of fans are so jaded from the last 18+ years, that they are convincing themselves that this team is not really that good in order to say "I knew it" when (in their minds) they inevitably collapse or fail.

Just my opinion

I doubt it, myself.

I think the reason everything feels so pronounced here is simply that we spend more time here. This is what fans do.

But maybe you're right. I don't spend enough time elsewhere to compare the levels thoughtfully.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Phillips rolled over after sacking Fitz with the ball literally between his legs. 

image.thumb.png.e429bb8f8fc3e1536f3a46c25528bdaa.png

Instead of asking "where's the ball? and grabbing it to tuck it away, I don't think Fitzy plowed him over - I think Phillips was just so full of himself that he got the sack, he had no "ball awareness" at all and rolled over and got up

image.thumb.png.477cf82ffa785a063cbfbb39c99a26d6.png

image.png.a4421d09493993edf8c4cf2d6da348c4.png

It was a great sack, followed by one of the least situationally aware moves I've seen from a good player.

It wasn’t a sack

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

5 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

Agreed. Ridiculous of BadolBilz to blame Tre for not hitting him high when he had to fully extend to hit him in the hip on that fake kick. But Tre was coming in from the side, not head to head and so though he brought him down he couldn't stop his momentum. While not a great play, it wasn't a bad one either. You'd want the Bills DL to be gang tackling him there, and it didn't happen. It was a good call, surprising them.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1