Josh Allen’s deep ball hasn’t been there so far

YoloinOhio

I'm not too concerned about the deep stuff right now, since teams know that's a threat and they're focusing on it.

Daboll put more emphasis on the short game this year, as necessary. Once they establish success with short passing and the run game, they should have higher-percentage opportunities in the deep game later.

• Like (+1) 4

We need to dial back how many deep balls we are throwing in the first place.  We only have one deep threat on the field most times in Brown, and he's getting most the defensive attention out there. Cole is too small to run deep, Zay is well Zay, and Foster has been barely used when healthy or just not healthy.  

Daboll needs to do a better job on game planning.  Its like he knows he has powerful race car in the garage, but forgets he has a talented but raw "Cole Trickle" behind the wheel, who just learned to drive race cars watching ESPN, and not ready to be fully unleashed yet and a pit crew around him still learning to work with each other.

Boom!  "Days of Thunder" analogy and it totally works ?

#DaysOfThunder

#GoBills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen has improved greatly in the short game and, honestly, is probably best in the 20-25 yard range. I don't know why all the concern on deep passes as they shouldn't be calling that many of them anyway with the receivers they have outside of Brown.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Some of his numbers are definitely off..  he says Josh is 0-7 with a pick on passes 30 yards downfield...

Next gen stats says Josh Allen's longest completion by air distance is 42.5

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing

Air distance and distance downfield past the line of scrimmage aren't the same thing (those are called “air yards”) Air distance measures the actual distance the ball was in the air, not the yards past the line of scrimmage the wr caught the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MDH said:

Air distance and distance downfield past the line of scrimmage aren't the same thing (those are called “air yards”) Air distance measures the actual distance the ball was in the air, not the yards past the line of scrimmage the wr caught the ball. 

So basically it's counting his dropback and possibly yards across the field which wouldn't be picked up

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We need to dial back how many deep balls we are throwing in the first place.  We only have one deep threat on the field most times in Brown, and he's getting most the defensive attention out there. Cole is too small to run deep, Zay is well Zay, and Foster has been barely used when healthy or just not healthy.  

Daboll needs to do a better job on game planning.  Its like he knows he has powerful race car in the garage, but forgets he has a talented but raw "Cole Trickle" behind the wheel, who just learned to drive race cars watching ESPN, and not ready to be fully unleashed yet and a pit crew around him still learning to work with each other.

Boom!  "Days of Thunder" analogy and it totally works ?

#DaysOfThunder

#GoBills

My movie analogy for Allen is Nuke Laloosh from Bull Durham. 

“I want to bring the heat, announce my presence with authority!’

“This guys a first ball fastball hitter”

“So what? He aint seen my heat.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How so?  Curious... I haven’t seen any claims of Allen having been accurate with his deep ball?

Why?  He isn’t fast

Agreed. They were stating that last year he was nailing them and it’s just not true. 

Apologies, should have been more clear. 

44 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm not too concerned about the deep stuff right now, since teams know that's a threat and they're focusing on it.

Daboll put more emphasis on the short game this year, as necessary. Once they establish success with short passing and the run game, they should have higher-percentage opportunities in the deep game later.

He’s had opportunities though, he just misfires.

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How so?  Curious... I haven’t seen any claims of Allen having been accurate with his deep ball?

Why?  He isn’t fast

I only wanted to use 2 words. Limited me quite a bit. But did you see the size of his hands?