Josh Allen’s deep ball hasn’t been there so far

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, DaveToday19 said:

Hapless Bill’s Fan is a [edited out useless content and cheap insults]

You know you’ve been a mod for a while when the only emotional reaction to this is vague curiosity as to why someone would bother.  I guess I understand the attraction of visiting the fan board of a team my team just defeated to gloat a bit, but when ya start making multiple accounts just to aerosolize some “perfume” it looks a tad obsessive.

3 hours ago, Philo said:

What just happened here?

Pats fan I banned yesterday for trash talk and gloating vs. contributing football discussion had nothing better to do than create multiple accounts just to spew insults. It happens.  It’s usually PM’s though.

I wouldn’t wager against the drinking early

• Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know you’ve been a mod for a while when the only reaction to this vague curiosity as to why someone would bother.  I guess I understand the attraction of visiting the fan board of a team my team just defeated to gloat a bit, but when ya start making multiple accounts just to aerosolize some “perfume” it looks a tad obsessive.

Pats fan I banned yesterday for trash talk and gloating vs. contributing football discussion had nothing better to do than create multiple accounts just to spew insults.

It happens.  It’s usually PM’s though.

Thank you for your service :beer:

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know you’ve been a mod for a while when the only reaction to this vague curiosity as to why someone would bother.  I guess I understand the attraction of visiting the fan board of a team my team just defeated to gloat a bit, but when ya start making multiple accounts just to aerosolize some “perfume” it looks a tad obsessive.

Pats fan I banned yesterday for trash talk and gloating vs. contributing football discussion had nothing better to do than create multiple accounts just to spew insults.

It happens.  It’s usually PM’s though.

I mean, this guy clearly doesn't have a whole lot going on in life. Hitting the bottle early is probably a good option. 

I've always felt like "fans" of teams like the Patriots are often just losers in life. They have this twisted need to attach themselves to something positive in order to "feel" like a winner AT SOMETHING. Sad really.

35 minutes ago, london_bills said:

This is it. How can his accuracy just GET better? Deep ball is one thing, Look at the first series against the pats - throw to Gore in the flats  - couldn't even hit this!!

Stop the nonsense.  I watched every throw he made the first two games and he was off on maybe 2 or 3.  He had a bad game last week, got out ahead of his skis a bit in a big moment and his mechanics suffered for it.  But the first three games he was fine.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, london_bills said:

This is it. How can his accuracy just GET better? Deep ball is one thing, Look at the first series against the pats - throw to Gore in the flats  - couldn't even hit this!!

*sigh*.

First series against the Pats.  

First play.  Telegraphing pass - empty backfield.  Allen made the correct throw, DE diagnosed the play and hung back, tipped the ball.

Second play.  Allen just had a pass tipped.  At the point where he should have thrown (you can see Gore turning for the ball on the coach’s film) the DE has pushed the RT back into the throwing lane.Allen makes a motion, Gore streaks for the sideline as fast as 35 can streak.  If it’s Singletary, he gets there, Gore just gets a hand on it.

There’s no “couldn’t even hit this”, it was trying to extend the play.  It’s possible Gore didn’t run the route Allen expected, but I think it was Allen just putting the ball the only place he safely could where it would go out of bounds if Gore didn’t get it, and Gore not being quite able to get there.  

Now in a mature OL and a QB who trusts them, Allen would make the original designed throw and trust his OLmen to truck the damned defender if they jump for the tip, but we’re not there yet.

The problem is, people who don’t dig below the surface are all just “oh, Allen can’t even hit Gore in the flats, he’s all over the place”.  I’m not saying he never makes WTF? Throws, but that wasn’t one of them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Stop the nonsense.  I watched every throw he made the first two games and he was off on maybe 2 or 3.  He had a bad game last week, got out ahead of his skis a bit in a big moment and his mechanics suffered for it.  But the first three games he was fine.

Are you referring to all of his throws? To say he was off on 2 or 3 throws in his first 3 games is simply not true.

Edited by Bangarang

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Is this something you can get better at? It isn't always a mechanics issue for him. Sometimes he just overthrows it by 5 yards for no apparent reason. He may never be an accurate deep passer.

I worried when we drafted Allen because I couldn’t see why he was inaccurate, when he’s inaccurate.  I can never see it in real time anyway, but with some of the other college guys I could see their stance when they threw and predict if it would be a good throw or not (Lamar Jackson, for example).  I think someone else - Gunner - had the same experience.  Then I heard Jordan Palmer talking about what he worked on with Allen and it was subtle enough I couldn’t catch it.

The thing is deep balls are always a low percentage play.  There’s a lot of specificity to the timing with individual receivers and a lot of experience how to compensate for the wind, release off the line etc etc.  But my memory is so far a lot of Allen’s deep throws to date this year have been just plain poor mechanics, not resetting, throwing off his back foot etc

20 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm not surprised that Allen's better with medium passes.  We have better wideouts this season and Allen's been working hard on this.

I'm not completely surprised with the turnovers.  I expected more growing pains.

I am surprised with the anemic deep game.  The Bills have guys who can run and Allen has a cannon for an arm.  I expected more accuracy and productivity than what we've seen so far.   I admit, I'm worried. 

I could be wrong, I often am, but I think the Bills have been working hard with Allen at improving his short and medium game and timing with his new WR, and it came at the expense of working on deep throws with WR other than John Brown - who is usually covered like a blanket on those.

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

*sigh*.

First series against the Pats.  

First play.  Telegraphing pass - empty backfield.  Allen made the correct throw, DE diagnosed the play and hung back, tipped the ball.

Second play.  Allen just had a pass tipped.  At the point where he should have thrown (you can see Gore turning for the ball on the coach’s film) the DE has pushed the RT back into the throwing lane.Allen makes a motion, Gore streaks for the sideline as fast as 35 can streak.  If it’s Singletary, he gets there, Gore just gets a hand on it.

There’s no “couldn’t even hit this”, it was trying to extend the play.  It’s possible Gore didn’t run the route Allen expected, but I think it was Allen just putting the ball the only place he safely could where it would go out of bounds if Gore didn’t get it, and Gore not being quite able to get there.  

Now in a mature OL and a QB who trusts them, Allen would make the original designed throw and trust his OLmen to truck the damned defender if they jump for the tip, but we’re not there yet.

The problem is, people who don’t dig below the surface are all just “oh, Allen can’t even hit Gore in the flats, he’s all over the place”.  I’m not saying he never makes WTF? Throws, but that wasn’t one of them.

The second play you mention is the short throw to Gore I was mentioning. Just rewatched -  To me that is an inaccurate pass. 

You are right he is under pressure somewhat with the RT pushed back.

Second drive 1-10 incomplete throw to Beasley is another short open inaccurate pass. Don't think it's the wind that affects that one but the ball takes a strange trajectory.

Edited by london_bills

48 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I specifically watched every throw the first two games.  I had 2-3 that were truly off target.

What’s the difference between being off target and truly off target? If we are talking off target by NFL standards then I certainly recall more than just 2 or 3.

Edited by Bangarang

18 minutes ago, london_bills said:

The second play you mention is the short throw to Gore I was mentioning. Just rewatched -  To me that is an inaccurate pass. 

You are right he is under pressure somewhat with the RT pushed back.

Second drive 1-10 incomplete throw to Beasley is another short open inaccurate pass. Don't think it's the wind that affects that one.

"Under pressure somewhat" = DE has his hip past Ford, Ford either gonna be beaten like a drum or flagged for holding.  Or both

You can call it an inaccurate pass, whateves. Allen threw it where he had to throw it.  Look at ~13 and ~24 sec into the all-22 on that play.  If Allen throws it where Gore is, it's gonna be tipped by that big fat NE DE in the way.

The throw to Beasley is a bad pass.   Bad mechanics.  You can tell by his posture Allen knew it after the throw.  I think by that point Allen was hearing

footsteps.

Short passes are usually not impacted by wind.

Bottom line, think and believe what you like.  It really doesn't matter what any of us think.  Allen will either figure it out - or he won't.

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Under pressure somewhat" = DE has his hip past Ford, Ford either gonna be beaten like a drum or flagged for holding.  Or both

You can call it an inaccurate pass, whateves. Allen threw it where he had to throw it.  Look at ~13 and ~24 sec into the all-22 on that play.  If Allen throws it where Gore is, it's gonna be tipped by that big fat NE DE in the way.

The throw to Beasley is a bad pass.   Bad mechanics.  You can tell by his posture Allen knew it after the throw.  I think by that point Allen was hearing

footsteps.

Short passes are usually not impacted by wind.

Bottom line, think and believe what you like.  It really doesn't matter what any of us think.  Allen will either figure it out - or he won't.

'Bottom line, think and believe what you like.  It really doesn't matter what any of us think.  Allen will either figure it out - or he won't.'

Exactly. But as fans we are bound to form an opinion of whether he's the franchise QB or not, even if it is somewhat fickle. Lets see further Sunday! Go Bills.

• 2 weeks later...

Stay with me here...

I really believe some of Josh Allen’s deep ball inaccuracy can be blamed on not getting enough arc under the ball. He just doesn’t “drop the ball in the bucket” so to speak.  I think his arm is almost TOO strong. He has the ability to fire the ball on a straight line more than just about any other QB in the league, while most qbs have to get more air, or touch, under the ball to throw deep. By throwing on a line, the ball usually arrives in the defender’s face mask assuming our guy has him beat. This is also why he often overthrows. 

It became clear to me this past Sunday when I saw Darnold drop one in Robby Anderson’s arms from near the end zone. Darnold has to throw that bal with nearly all he had and had perfect arc under the ball to drop it right on Anderson. Allen would have fires a missile with ease and likely have overthrown his guy. Either that or the defender would have made a play due to the lack of touch. 

I think a lot of this can be corrected. Much has been made about Allen’s quick learning this offseason with short to intermediate throws. I expect this off-season to refine the other area Allen struggles with and you will see a complete qb in 2020. 

Much ado about very nearly nothing,  you guys must be as ready for a real game as I am....

Go Bills!!!

9 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Stay with me here...

I really believe some of Josh Allen’s deep ball inaccuracy can be blamed on not getting enough arc under the ball. He just doesn’t “drop the ball in the bucket” so to speak.  I think his arm is almost TOO strong. He has the ability to fire the ball on a straight line more than just about any other QB in the league, while most qbs have to get more air, or touch, under the ball to throw deep. By throwing on a line, the ball usually arrives in the defender’s face mask assuming our guy has him beat. This is also why he often overthrows. 

It became clear to me this past Sunday when I saw Darnold drop one in Robby Anderson’s arms from near the end zone. Darnold has to throw that bal with nearly all he had and had perfect arc under the ball to drop it right on Anderson. Allen would have fires a missile with ease and likely have overthrown his guy. Either that or the defender would have made a play due to the lack of touch. 

I think a lot of this can be corrected. Much has been made about Allen’s quick learning this offseason with short to intermediate throws. I expect this off-season to refine the other area Allen struggles with and you will see a complete qb in 2020. 

His ball trajectory issues are part mechanics part mental part feel/chemistry..there have been QBs with stronger arms or fairly equivalent like elway and young favre who knew how to throw the deep ball with touch and arc..it's an ongoing process when favre started in gb in practice he'd throw everything as a bullet pass.. Josh just has to learn to trust and get a consistent feel for his deep ball ..through his first 2 years every deep ball has had wildly different arc and velocity from great touch on the throw to Foster last year vs the jags and a great throw to Foster in the Vikings game that was dropped to not enough air on the ball missing John brown deep

• Like (+1) 1