Daboll Monday Presser

apologies if buried somewhere, couldn't find it

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/brian-daboll-be-smart-with-the-football

I didn't like the game Daboll called so far as I could see (haven't had the chance to watch coaches film yet), but I liked how he repeatedly Cowboyed up in the presser and said "we've got to be better...that starts with me, I've got to be better" and "I've got to give him (Josh) plays where he can be smart with the football".

I especially liked his response to someone's question  "what identity are you searching for in terms of this offense?" and he said "Score points.  And take care of the ball."

Daboll's pressers kind of bring life the almost inconceivable notion that Bill Belicheck****** and Father Christmas had a Love Child.  Daboll stands up there all good-natured and smiley-looking and when you come down to it, he really hasn't said that much more than the Hoodie ever does, he's just more jollier-looking while he's not saying much.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't entirely like the game Daboll called so far as I could see (haven't had the chance to watch coaches film yet), but I liked how he repeatedly Cowboyed up in the presser and said "we've got to be better...that starts with me, I've got to be better" and "I've got to give him (Josh) plays where he can be smart with the football"

So The Bills will run the football, fine with me

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't like the game Daboll called so far as I could see (haven't had the chance to watch coaches film yet), but I liked how he repeatedly Cowboyed up in the presser and said "we've got to be better...that starts with me, I've got to be better" and "I've got to give him (Josh) plays where he can be smart with the football".

I especially liked his response to someone's question  "what identity are you searching for in terms of this offense?" and he said "Score points.  And take care of the ball."

Daboll's pressers kind of bring life the almost inconceivable notion that Bill Belicheck****** and Father Christmas had a Love Child.  Daboll stands up there all good-natured and smiley-looking and when you come down to it, he really hasn't said that much more than the Hoodie ever does, he's just more jollier-looking while he's not saying much.

DO NOT GET ALL CONSERVATIVE. I don’t want a Team to Babysit my QB. I want to know my QB is an asset not a liability. If you have to babysit then you need a new QB. 

• Like (+1) 7

I just want someone to ask Daboll why Robert Foster, with whom Josh Allen had a 127 QB rating last year when the two connected -- has only gotten 2 targets thus far this season whilst Zay Jones continues to ***** himself on national TV.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McD and Beane have admitted their shortcomings in other areas, so it's not surprising from a culture perspective that the OC would as well.  It's a good thing. 

However, at some point this honesty people clamor for now will be met with indignation.  He's been in the NFL on the offensive side of the ball for more than 16 seasons now.  One expects better by this point.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

nothing wrong with doing it while he is developing. I think you're being a little extreme here.

no I am not. Give him the playbook. Guess why? 1. Need to find out if he is the answer. 2. With an Elite Defense that we have even with TOs we will always be in the game. 

I don’t want to see my QB Babied. Put him in the fire (as they are) and he learns or Bills learn he isn’t the guy. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Logic said:

I just want someone to ask Daboll why Robert Foster, with whom Josh Allen had a 127 QB rating last year when the two connected -- has only gotten 2 targets thus far this season whilst Zay Jones continues to ***** himself on national TV.

Numerous reports he’s ailing with an ankle. Also numerous reports he’s sulking.

15 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Numerous reports he’s ailing with an ankle. Also numerous reports he’s sulking.

Not that I'm doubting you, but can you provide a link to any reports that he's sulking? I haven't heard that at all. In fact, the ONLY article I've read all offseason regarding his mood and disposition is that he's been attached at the hip to John Brown, trying to learn from him, and has maintained a great attitude. 

As far as the injury: I've heard turf toe and groin, but never ankle.

Can you provide a link to either piece of info?

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What he says to the public and what he says behind closed doors to his players I'm sure are 2 different things.  He is being smart with his words in public because the fans don't need to know every thing that goes through his mind. He is not going to say something that sparks affect or controversy.  The dumb coaches are the ones who shoot their mouth off and run their mouths like Rex Ryan.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

no I am not. Give him the playbook. Guess why? 1. Need to find out if he is the answer. 2. With an Elite Defense that we have even with TOs we will always be in the game. 
I don’t want to see my QB Babied. Put him in the fire (as they are) and he learns or Bills learn he isn’t the guy. 

You sound like the kid who survived being thrown in the deep end of the pool by his Aunt at age 2 to "learn how to swim".  Hey, it worked for you!  Don't baby those toddlers by giving 'em "Baby Fish" lessons where they start by holding onto the side of the pool and kicking!

While we're at it, let's give HS Freshmen a multivariable calc book on their first day!  Don't baby 'em by letting 'em master algebra first.  Don't break it down into pieces so they can be successful and build confidence then add complexity - no point in that!  Put 'em in the fire and either they learn or the faculty learn they can't do math and send 'em off to play football or read Shakespeare or something!   Yeah, everyone knows you're either a natural or you can't get it, nothing to see in other countries where most every kid learns calc.

I haven't watched the all-22 yet, but my first impressions of this game and last week were that Daboll started out the first two weeks trying to set up plays to help Allen diagnose the defense, and that he moved away from it last week and this week.  I've said it elsewhere, I think Belicheck is in Daboll's head to some degree and he tries to out-smart and out-think himself with the playbook instead of staying with simple stuff we do well.

• Like (+1) 4

Andy Benoit's take

Daboll, a former tight ends coach, has a strong working knowledge of this sort of passing game, and the Bills this season have indeed shown some creativity with dropbacks out of base personnel (including spreading out into empty formations, which is another way to clarify the coverage for the QB). It’s a fine line to walk, though. Buffalo’s offense ultimately hinges on the success of its ground game; incomplete passes on first down can quickly derail a ground game. And Allen, gifted a fastball thrower as he is, does not deliver with stable accuracy. Like Cam Newton, he is liable to simply miss on a half-dozen throws each game. This cannot be coached out of a guy, it can only be coached around

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would have been fine with benching Allen for a drive or two against the PATs last week.  He needs to learn that there's 51 other guys counting on him to not be a knucklehead, and if he doesn't get that, then he's not gonna play.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You sound like the kid who survived being thrown in the deep end of the pool by his Aunt at age 2 to "learn how to swim".  Hey, it worked for you!  Don't baby those toddlers by giving 'em "Baby Fish" lessons where they start by holding onto the side of the pool and kicking!

While we're at it, let's give HS Freshmen a multivariable calc book on their first day!  Don't baby 'em by letting 'em master algebra first.  Don't break it down into pieces so they can be successful and build confidence then add complexity - no point in that!  Put 'em in the fire and either they learn or the faculty learn they can't do math and send 'em off to play football or read Shakespeare or something!   Yeah, everyone knows you're either a natural or you can't get it, nothing to see in other countries where most every kid learns calc.

I haven't watched the all-22 yet, but my first impressions of this game and last week were that Daboll started out the first two weeks trying to set up plays to help Allen diagnose the defense, and that he moved away from it last week and this week.  I've said it elsewhere, I think Belicheck is in Daboll's head to some degree and he tries to out-smart and out-think himself with the playbook instead of staying with simple stuff we do well.

Our first series on offense started with designed easy throws that Allen either had bated or missed completely. As an OC if your QB is having trouble seeing the field and getting the ball out accurately then there isn’t a whole lot you can do in the passing game 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

DO NOT GET ALL CONSERVATIVE. I don’t want a Team to Babysit my QB. I want to know my QB is an asset not a liability. If you have to babysit then you need a new QB. 

I heard some insightful comments from Charlie Weis earlier this week when discussing how to bring along a young QB.  He wasn't talking about Josh Allen but he said when you have a young QB you don't try to have him do everything.  You look at what he does well and is comfortable with and you start there.  You add little pieces bit by bit but you don't overwhelm the guy.  He said that's what they did with Brady.  When Brady first took over they were a dink and dunk offense because that's what Brady did well.  It wasn't until later that they developed the deep ball with him.

Making your young QB comfortable isn't "babysitting" -- it's giving him a solid base from which to develop.  Josh has now had the equivalent of one season's worth of starting experience.  I don't think they're going to tell him "don't run" or "don't try to make a play" -- but they need to drive it into his head that he's got to TAKE CARE OF THE FOOTBALL and take care of his body.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, eball said:

I heard some insightful comments from Charlie Weis earlier this week when discussing how to bring along a young QB.  He wasn't talking about Josh Allen but he said when you have a young QB you don't try to have him do everything.  You look at what he does well and is comfortable with and you start there.  You add little pieces bit by bit but you don't overwhelm the guy.  He said that's what they did with Brady.  When Brady first took over they were a dink and dunk offense because that's what Brady did well.  It wasn't until later that they developed the deep ball with him.

Making your young QB comfortable isn't "babysitting" -- it's giving him a solid base from which to develop.  Josh has now had the equivalent of one season's worth of starting experience.  I don't think they're going to tell him "don't run" or "don't try to make a play" -- but they need to drive it into his head that he's got to TAKE CARE OF THE FOOTBALL and take care of his body.

if they start limiting the playbook that is babysitting 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

if they start limiting the playbook that is babysitting 

Well, you and I will never know if that is happening so it's a pretty senseless discussion.  In any event, I disagree with your use of the term "babysitting" in this context.  Nobody will be "babysitting" Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2