Did Jonathan Jones purposely take out Josh Allen?

HOUSE

I watched this clip over and over, my eyes hurt. If you watch closely Jonathon Jones is clearly aiming for a shoulder pad hit but at the last moment raises his head to hit Josh Allen helmet to helmet.

IMO, its a clear attempt to injure.

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

No. Allen is still driving forward. Allens crown of his helmet actually hits the side of Jones helmet. If the nfl see it the same way thete wont be a fine. It just a smaller guy trying to stop a bigger one.

Our resident Belicheat apologist and Brady nut swinger :(

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It was a penalty, we can argue about intent and if he should have been ejected all day and I am sure he will get fined.  But to go frame by frame and decide that he changed his target for the sole intent on injuring is pure conjecture.  Given the down and distance, it was important to stop forward progress immediately.  Here is the thing from my perspective, the QB should use his arm to beat the opponent and not have to rely on putting his head down and trying to move the chains.  If that continues, injuries will continue.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I agree completely. The Pats* knew of Josh’s comebacks and wanted to remove him from the equation. They succeeded and the league let them. 

That makes no sense.  Now if Allen had been in the pocket and took the hit and not 7 yards downfield running and trying get the first down I could see your point.  This is Allen acting like Cam Newton and getting lit up. (This time illegally) Allen needs to learn to slide to protect himself otherwise he will have a short career. (Like Newton. Who I like as a QB)

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe it was intentional. Maybe it wasn't. How do you judge someone's intent? Fact is it was a helmet to helmet hit and apparently the NFL didn't think it rose to the "ejection level" whatever that means. 

Bottom line is Allen should have slid and avoided the hit. Yes it was 3rd down and he was trying get the first. That decision cost him an injury and any chance at a comeback.

Did anyone notice what the offsetting penalty was? I did not see it at the game or watching the replay? 

Edited by bmur66

4 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

Mike Golic just said the flag should’ve been picked up or thrown on Josh Allen for lowering his head and that the patriot player tried to hit with his shoulder pads.... I have no clue where he gets any of that from watching the clip

The steroids have rotted his brain ;)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

Mike Golic just said the flag should’ve been picked up or thrown on Josh Allen for lowering his head and that the patriot player tried to hit with his shoulder pads.... I have no clue where he gets any of that from watching the clip

They did add a penalty a couple years ago about runners lowing their head, not sure it has eve been called.  I really think you have to consider the down and distance and the fact Allen was approaching the sticks on 3rd and 8.  He was going for the first down, the defender was trying to prevent it.   The play was illegal on the defenders side for sure but I have seen much worse.

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

That makes no sense.  Now if Allen had been in the pocket and took the hit and not 7 yards downfield running and trying get the first down I could see your point.  This is Allen acting like Cam Newton and getting lit up. (This time illegally) Allen needs to learn to slide to protect himself otherwise he will have a short career. (Like Newton. Who I like as a QB)

Now, this really makes no sense. Why have a rule in place for unsportsmanlike conduct if it's acceptable lay a helmet-to-helmet hit on someone?

Your boy went full Jack Tatum on the guy being tackled and you're blaming the victim. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

There are a lot of people in this republic who are immune to things like facts and evidence. Golic apparently is one of them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

DEFINITELY an intentional hit to the head. That was straight out of the Greggo playbook. 

11 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

Golic rides the short bus to work. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Now, this really makes no sense. Why have a rule in place for unsportsmanlike conduct if it's acceptable lay a helmet-to-helmet hit on someone?

Your boy went full Jack Tatum on the guy being tackled and you're blaming the victim. 

No, I meant the Patriots purposely went out there to hurt him (or intent) it just happened was no intent by the team for it.. how would they know he would scramble and refuse go down?

im blaming Allen for being to much like Newton! Cam did the same dang thing and UNLIKE Allen he rarely even got the flag thrown for the helmet to helmet on him.  Maybe I’m crazy but as a fan I wouldn’t think you would want your FQB taken a beating like that for a yard... you were in FG range and plenty of time left.. 

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

No, I meant the Patriots purposely went out there to hurt him (or intent) it just happened was no intent by the team for it.. how would they know he would scramble and refuse go down?

im blaming Allen for being to much like Newton! Cam did the same dang thing and UNLIKE Allen he rarely even got the flag thrown for the helmet to helmet on him.  Maybe I’m crazy but as a fan I wouldn’t think you would want your FQB taken a beating like that for a yard... you were in FG range and plenty of time left.. 

Seized the opportunity to take the head shot. It was pretty clear. Then afterwards his body language was like he was proud of himself. :censored: that guy. There is a Jarvis Landry type of crack-back block in his near future. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, H2o said:

Seized the opportunity to take the head shot. It was pretty clear. Then afterwards his body language was like he was proud of himself. :censored: that guy. There is a Jarvis Landry type of crack-back block in his near future. 

I’m not talking PLAYER intent as I am not in his head.. but TEAM intent.. the amount of pressure they had on Allen if the team “wanted” it they could have set it up any time while in the pocket..