Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

31 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Why keep a mediocre QB around.  I hope the Bills don’t wait that long.  Trade him to a team with the proper talent around him and a real offensive coordinator.  Then the Bills can go another 20 years of QB carousel and let another talent leave Buffalo to go thrive somewhere else.  Might as well be the Dolphins part deuce! SMH

That's exactly what some of these folks seem to be saying. 

It's like a small fraction of the Bills fan base has the football equivalent of ADD and wants a new QB every couple of seasons.  They have NO patience and their expectations are whacked out. 

Allen has scored 29 TD's to 13 TO's.  This is very solid and next year we should expect something in the neighborhood of 40 TD's & 10 TO's.

6 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

So we’re happy with beating crappy defenses but not good ones ... sounds like a recipe for success  

We are 3 - 2 against the "good" defenses in the last 5 games.  Last I looked that's a winning record.

What I'm happy about is that overall Allen has played well against these top D's.  That first NE game was a potential harbinger of doom for Allen.  What if that's how almost every one of his games against top flight defenses looked?  But it wasn't.  Allen has improved and as long as he keeps improving he is the guy.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It's like a small fraction of the Bills fan base has the football equivalent of ADD and wants a new QB every couple of seasons.  They have NO patience and their expectations are whacked out. 

Allen has scored 29 TD's to 13 TO's.  This is very solid and next year we should expect something in the neighborhood of 40 TD's & 10 TO's.

We are 3 - 2 against the "good" defenses in the last 5 games.  Last I looked that's a winning record.

What I'm happy about is that overall Allen has played well against these top D's.  That first NE game was a potential harbinger of doom for Allen.  What if that's how almost every one of his games against top flight defenses will look?  But it wasn't.  Allen has improved and as long as he keeps improving he is the guy.

Yes he certainly has improved. Whether he’s the GUY?  Still open to debate. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Re Allen It's so bipolar it's maddening. I don't know what to say. 

I think that's where a lot of us are. 

He can be ridiculously clutch.  That 53 yd TD catch to Brown was @#$@#% for a defensive coordinator.  Ridiculous.

Some clutch throws to Beasley.  That rush for a 4th down conversion.  It looked stuffed, and it wasn't, and I have NO idea how he did that.  Again DC going @#$@#%

And then some throws that are just plain ridiculously off.

I do know this, when our defense gives their offense close to a 3:1 advantage in TOP at the half, we aren't winning.   The D controls their own fate.  Stuff them and get your butts off the field.

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I know, I’m as frustrated as everyone else.  But he’s doing this with castoffs from other teams and without another capable WR opposite of Brown and a Oline that is not quite there yet.

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Comparing a 2nd year QB to Brady, The GOAT, is a false equivalency. Brady is the outlier of outliers in the nfl. A 6th round pick who becomes the GOAT. Any comparison WITH Allen should be with his peers or older players at similar points in their development. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's where a lot of us are. 

He can be ridiculously clutch.  That 53 yd TD catch to Brown was @#$@#% for a defensive coordinator.  Ridiculous.

Some clutch throws to Beasley.  That rush for a 4th down conversion.  It looked stuffed, and it wasn't, and I have NO idea how he did that.  Again DC going @#$@#%

And then some throws that are just plain ridiculously off.

I do know this, when our defense gives their offense close to a 3:1 advantage in TOP at the half, we aren't winning.   The D controls their own fate.  Stuff them and get your butts off the field.

Your right about the defence today but to me that just shows how good Brady and that lot are. Also Allen has got to start better, sometimes he just isn't there. 

As much as I'm looking at the plays he makes, I'm looking at the the plays he misses. It's hard to know which to focus on.

It's not a popular thing to say and it hurts like s*** but the truth is if we swap quarterbacks we probably win this game. 

Once again, Josh shows that the team needs to just let him play the game. When they try to manage him, he gets out of rhythm and the offense sputters. Lo and behold, on the final drive, they cut him loose and all of a sudden he looks like the guy that can carry a team.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

If Allen can get hot for 4 games he can deliver a SB. He's that talented and still hasn't come close to his ceiling imo. 

Although I do think you could be right, I have to give the flipside to this argument as it's an interesting one. 

We still have no explanation for.the first half and the inconsistency which may never go away remember. Points and completions are left on the field. 

Getting hot for 4 games means getting hot for 4 full games. Getting hot for part of it was proven today not to be enough. 

That difference between, let's say, 10 more completions today that a Rodgers, brees etc makes take us to the superbowl this year maybe. 

I know what your saying about Allen getting hot, I could make the argument he is the noose around our necks. 

I still think he could be a franchise QB. And he has improved dramatically compared to last season.

But first things first - he has a lot of work to do. I believe he again needs to spend some more time in the off season with Jordan Palmer. Seemed to do him the world of good last off season.

He has the good attitude and the work ethic. I for one am not writing him off. And Beane will improve the offence, of that you can be certain.

Slow, steady improvement is fine by me.

23 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Once again, Josh shows that the team needs to just let him play the game. When they try to manage him, he gets out of rhythm and the offense sputters. Lo and behold, on the final drive, they cut him loose and all of a sudden he looks like the guy that can carry a team.

It's so obvious I don't understand how McD does not adjust to it. I can only think it was rewarding bad behavior because they were 10-4. But it's so obvious. He's the polar opposite of a game manager. He's a playmaker. And he's a stud regardless of any stats. There is no one like him the same way there is no one like Brady or Russell Wilson. I'm NOT saying he is as good so just stop. But he's not like other guys. And you have to play to his strengths. He's fantastic as a playmaker. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're being sarcastic but there's a real point here.

When evaluating a QB, you might say there's a "type 1" error and a "type II" error.

the Type I error is the Drew Brees mistake.  San Diego felt he genuinely couldn't play after not particularly handling him well for 3 years, so they drafted Philip Rivers - just in time to see Brees turn it on, be named "Comeback Player of the Year" and play on a franchise tag for a year before leaving in FA.  There's no question since then Brees >>> Rivers.

the Type II error is the Mark Sanchez mistake.  There were rumors in his year 3, that he still had gaping holes in his QBing skills.

I don't know where Josh Allen will land yet.  He misses throws he could make.  He also has guys not help him out - not come back for throws they could get, not give him time.

I was pretty upset that we chose to draft a QB and not put a real OL in front of him and a real corps of playmakers around him.

I don't know what Allen is yet.  I don't think Allen know what he is yet.  But my concern is that we don't have enough around him to find out.

If this team doesn't surround him next year with better playmakers then it probably won't matter whether he continues to improve or not. We have to stay the course and give him 3 full years. His midrange game is great but his short/deep throws are everywhere. We'll know more this time next year.

6 hours ago, jamiezzz said:

Allen is not the answer!!!!!

6 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

He hasn’t been so far, that’s for sure...

Are you guys friggin serious?!?!?!

What a joke.

Allen missed some throws tonight. They were throws that might have won the game. 2 TD passes to Knox. That's 100% true.

But he also made throws I don't know if other QBs could make, like that Brown TD pass falling backwards with defenders in his face.

This was a game in the spotlight, on the road essentially in primetime and against the GOAT coach, yet he was basically the reason this team was even in the game considering our defense allowed 414 yards, couldn't sack or intercept Brady (who had his highest completion percentage and 3rd highest Passer Rating game of the season) and allowed 50% 3rd down conversion rate.

Allen had a 102.7 passer rating today. 

In the last 2 seasons the Patriots have now only allowed 2 QBs to have a 100+ Passer Rating when playing in Foxborough. The other was Patrick Mahomes.

Let this be a loss for learning... for Allen to take the next 2 weeks to focus on the fundamentals of his footwork and for Morse and Neschke to get healthy... we have a playoff run coming up. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Are you guys friggin serious?!?!?!

What a joke.

Allen missed some throws tonight. They were throws that might have won the game. 2 TD passes to Knox. That's 100% true.

But he also made throws I don't know if other QBs could make, like that Brown TD pass falling backwards with defenders in his face.

This was a game in the spotlight, on the road essentially in primetime and against the GOAT coach, yet he was basically the reason this team was even in the game considering our defense allowed 414 yards, couldn't sack or intercept Brady (who had his highest completion percentage and 3rd highest Passer Rating game of the season) and allowed 50% 3rd down conversion rate.

Allen had a 102.7 passer rating today. 

In the last 2 seasons the Patriots have now only allowed 2 QBs to have a 100+ Passer Rating when playing in Foxborough. The other was Patrick Mahomes.

Let this be a loss for learning... for Allen to take the next 2 weeks to focus on the fundamentals of his footwork and for Morse and Neschke to get healthy... we have a playoff run coming up. :thumbsup:

What are people watching? 

• Like (+1) 1