Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

4 hours ago, london_bills said:

Re Allen It's so bipolar it's maddening. I don't know what to say. 

Look at the long game.

If you've been a Bills fan for at least a decade, that should be easy.

Allen was an EXTREMELY raw QB coming out of college who showed some promise at points in his rookie year, but in his 2nd year (with one game that he might or might not play in) improved his completion % by 6%, YPA by 0.3, TD and INT %s massively, Passer Rating significantly, passing yards per game by about 33 yards, etc... all the while being the QB for a football team that went from being 6-10 to at least 10-6 with the opportunity to rest starters in the final week of the season. 

Allen improved drastically already. Expect him to continue to improve.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's where a lot of us are. 

He can be ridiculously clutch.  That 53 yd TD catch to Brown was @#$@#% for a defensive coordinator.  Ridiculous.

Some clutch throws to Beasley.  That rush for a 4th down conversion.  It looked stuffed, and it wasn't, and I have NO idea how he did that.  Again DC going @#$@#%

And then some throws that are just plain ridiculously off.

I do know this, when our defense gives their offense close to a 3:1 advantage in TOP at the half, we aren't winning.   The D controls their own fate.  Stuff them and get your butts off the field.

This has been my problem with McDermott's conservative approach. 

He thinks his defense is better than it is and he thinks he needs to protect his young QB more than he should.

That's a bad recipe for a one 'n done playoff scenario.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, london_bills said:

Although I do think you could be right, I have to give the flipside to this argument as it's an interesting one. 

We still have no explanation for.the first half and the inconsistency which may never go away remember. Points and completions are left on the field. 

Daboll doesn't know how to call plays for a young QB who needs to get into some kinda rhythm.

There's your explanation 

3 hours ago, london_bills said:

Getting hot for 4 games means getting hot for 4 full games. Getting hot for part of it was proven today not to be enough. 

That difference between, let's say, 10 more completions today that a Rodgers, brees etc makes take us to the superbowl this year maybe. 

I know what your saying about Allen getting hot, I could make the argument he is the noose around our necks. 

Please make the argument.

I don't see how you could reasonably make it, but I'd like to hear it if you think you can.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He thinks his defense is better than it is and he thinks he needs to protect his young QB more than he should.

Oh please, the defense is one of the best in the league. New England doesn’t lose in foxboro for a reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

What are people watching? 

Seriously.

Another VERY important point to consider: this is the 3rd time in his career that Allen has faced the same defense twice in a season. Each time, he's been markedly better than the first matchup. That's an enormous deal in terms of development.

When DCs can't stay ahead of you, even as a guy with only a season or two of experience, that's a great sign.

He missed a few throws yesterday, and took 2 bad sacks. He also made up for it with 2 elite-level throws that resulted in TDs, and had another "animal" sneak that he had no business converting.

The team went into the toughest venue in the game and came within one play of tying the game against the best D in the league. This despite playing against the opponent and the officials.

He's got a ways to go; no question. If people see significant development that inspires serious optimism, then they aren't watching.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Daboll doesn't know how to call plays for a young QB who needs to get into some kinda rhythm.

There's your explanation 

Please make the argument.

I don't see how you could reasonably make it, but I'd like to hear it if you think you can.

I will quibble a bit here. I don’t think Daboll is BAD at giving Josh throws to get in rhythm. He could definitely do more. I’d like to see some swing passes to Singletary for starters.

It’s unfortunate that Josh is so hot and cold though. Honestly, by the second possession, you generally know if he’s “on” or not. When we played the Cowboys, he was on. When we played the Ravens and the Pats, you knew we were in for a up and down day. It’s just the kind of QB he is right now.

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

McD’s defense is good. They weren’t great yesterday. Idk what you’re watching either I guess.

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Are you guys friggin serious?!?!?!

What a joke.

Allen missed some throws tonight. They were throws that might have won the game. 2 TD passes to Knox. That's 100% true.

But he also made throws I don't know if other QBs could make, like that Brown TD pass falling backwards with defenders in his face.

This was a game in the spotlight, on the road essentially in primetime and against the GOAT coach, yet he was basically the reason this team was even in the game considering our defense allowed 414 yards, couldn't sack or intercept Brady (who had his highest completion percentage and 3rd highest Passer Rating game of the season) and allowed 50% 3rd down conversion rate.

Allen had a 102.7 passer rating today. 

In the last 2 seasons the Patriots have now only allowed 2 QBs to have a 100+ Passer Rating when playing in Foxborough. The other was Patrick Mahomes.

Let this be a loss for learning... for Allen to take the next 2 weeks to focus on the fundamentals of his footwork and for Morse and Neschke to get healthy... we have a playoff run coming up. :thumbsup:

He made some great throws, no doubt...all I’m saying is that it was a game the bills should have won and Allen’s erratic passing in the first half, and then later to Knox was the main reason they didn’t...defense has carried Allen all year, and the team needed Josh to step up and carry the team... at this point in his career, he is too inconsistent to be relied upon to do that...and as a result it holds the team back from being a championship contender...

Mahomes, Watson, and Jackson can all carry their teams consistently- Josh can’t...and anyone that thinks otherwise needs to take off the beer goggles.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

If Allen can get hot for 4 games he can deliver a SB. He's that talented and still hasn't come close to his ceiling imo. 

doesn't matter hot "hot" Allen gets he will forever be held back by playcalling 

Daboll has no purpose being a OC in this league. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Oh please, the defense is one of the best in the league. New England doesn’t lose in foxboro for a reason. 

Kansas City just beat them three weeks ago there, the defense played like horseshi#. They got pushed around all day, NE controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and pushed Buffalo around. I think we were kind of lucky to be in the game the way it unfolded. I think we are on the up and up like most think, but Marcia is 32-3 against us, I am so sick seeing him smile come the end of the game or more likely halftime. I almost hope he returns next year just so they have two more shots to beat him. Micah had the perfect opportunity to smack him when he ran for a touchdown, I just don't understand why he didn't. Allen needs to step up against the better defenses in this league and to a degree did yesterday after a horrible start. 

Edited by billrooter

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's where a lot of us are. 

He can be ridiculously clutch.  That 53 yd TD catch to Brown was @#$@#% for a defensive coordinator.  Ridiculous.

Some clutch throws to Beasley.  That rush for a 4th down conversion.  It looked stuffed, and it wasn't, and I have NO idea how he did that.  Again DC going @#$@#%

And then some throws that are just plain ridiculously off.

I do know this, when our defense gives their offense close to a 3:1 advantage in TOP at the half, we aren't winning.   The D controls their own fate.  Stuff them and get your butts off the field.

He overthrows that deep ball to Brown if he isn't hit on the throw

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

It’s unfortunate that Josh is so hot and cold though. Honestly, by the second possession, you generally know if he’s “on” or not. When we played the Cowboys, he was on. When we played the Ravens and the Pats, you knew we were in for a up and down day. It’s just the kind of QB he is right now.

I'd just like to point out that both the Ravens and the Pats defenses are legit light years better than the Cowboys defense.

So what you're seeing is not just Allen being "hot and cold" vs being "on", it's the impact of a young QB facing a really really good defense vs playing a good defense.

22 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

He overthrows that deep ball to Brown if he isn't hit on the throw

Illogical

31 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

For everyone complaining about a lack of screen game, have you thought that maybe Allen can't throw a screen pass. 

Last year might have been so

This year, No, haven't thought that

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

He made some great throws, no doubt...all I’m saying is that it was a game the bills should have won and Allen’s erratic passing in the first half, and then later to Knox was the main reason they didn’t...defense has carried Allen all year, and the team needed Josh to step up and carry the team... at this point in his career, he is too inconsistent to be relied upon to do that...and as a result it holds the team back from being a championship contender...

Mahomes, Watson, and Jackson can all carry their teams consistently- Josh can’t...and anyone that thinks otherwise needs to take off the beer goggles.

Look, I'm not saying Allen played a great game or that he can "carry the team" yet - maybe never.

But anyone who watches a game like that, looks at the stat sheet, and comes up with "Allen's erratic passing is the main reason we didn't win" really deserves a major downgrade in the perception of their "football e v a l" chops.  When your defense gives up 414 yds and lets the other team's offense grind out 7.5 and 9 minute drives repeatedly - and this is in the first half when defensive fatigue should not be a big factor - the QB is NOT the main reason they lost.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

the hot takes are pretty comical at this point.

we are 10-5, clinched a playoff berth with 3 games to go in the regular season, had an outside shot at the division title and the number 2 seed. in the 5 loses,  we have only not been in only one of them (Eagles). the other 4 loses we were within one score. 2 of those one score games came against the number 1 defense in the league. another came against the number 6 defense. the blow out loss was against another top 10 D. we have beaten 3 top ten defenses and another in the top 15 (who, btw, was top 10 when we played them). all this in the second year of Josh Allen (of whom, has led 5 fourth quarter drives to take the lead in a game this year) and just the third year overall of this administration.

slow your roll.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 3

Even Pats fans are coming around on Josh Allen, yet we have some posters here that think we should be dunking on people every possession with our average OL, rookie RB, rookie TE and two NFL level WRs, neither being above 6’. 

• Like (+1) 1

We lost yesterday on the LOS  Pats got over 6 yards per play on offense  Felt like every hand off was at least a 4 or 5 yard gain.  Every short check down was a missed tackle and more yards.  Brady faced almost no pressure  Bills D line cannot get to the qb without stunts and extra bodies  Been like this all year

Conversely the Bills O line got handled  Pats able to pressure Josh off his spot routinely with just 4 guys  Marshall Newhouse came in and outplayed what we got from Cody Ford.  Once again no push in the run game, the few yards Devin got were well earned   Allen had to do his circus act to make a few plays to even make this close.

• Like (+1) 4

12 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

So we’re happy with beating crappy defenses but not good ones ... sounds like a recipe for success  

That’s not the point he’s trying to make. Allen has his flaws but he’s still young. It’s shameful that people will try and compare him to Brady which is ridiculous (not saying you). The Bills are a young team and yes Allen has his flaws but there is not enough talent on offense to beat the teams with great defenses. They competed and could/should have won the game but it’s ridiculous to think this team would beat elite defenses with the talent we have on offense.  I am not saying they are scrubs but outside of Singletary there isn’t anyone who has star potential. Allen has a ways to go but with more talent around him he would be better. Right now Allen is inconsistent but the main problem is so is the rest of the offense around him. 

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Seriously.

Another VERY important point to consider: this is the 3rd time in his career that Allen has faced the same defense twice in a season. Each time, he's been markedly better than the first matchup. That's an enormous deal in terms of development.

When DCs can't stay ahead of you, even as a guy with only a season or two of experience, that's a great sign.

He missed a few throws yesterday, and took 2 bad sacks. He also made up for it with 2 elite-level throws that resulted in TDs, and had another "animal" sneak that he had no business converting.

The team went into the toughest venue in the game and came within one play of tying the game against the best D in the league. This despite playing against the opponent and the officials.

He's got a ways to go; no question. If people see significant development that inspires serious optimism, then they aren't watching.

It boils down to the same people who hated Allen from day 1 will always find a way to criticize him no matter what. They will always focus on the misses that he could have had for TD’s like no other QB in the league has misses. On the flip side you have Allen fans from day 1 who focus on the good and make excuses for or neglect the bad. 

Allen has his flaws no doubt about it and he needs to improve some more but he is better than he was last year and better than he was at the beginning of the year. If he continues to improve which I think he will the Bills  will be fine going forward. 

18 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

We lost yesterday on the LOS  Pats got over 6 yards per play on offense  Felt like every hand off was at least a 4 or 5 yard gain.  Every short check down was a missed tackle and more yards.  Brady faced almost no pressure  Bills D line cannot get to the qb without stunts and extra bodies  Been like this all year

Conversely the Bills O line got handled  Pats able to pressure Josh off his spot routinely with just 4 guys  Marshall Newhouse came in and outplayed what we got from Cody Ford.  Once again no push in the run game, the few yards Devin got were well earned   Allen had to do his circus act to make a few plays to even make this close.

Bingo but yet people continue to ignore this. Games are won on the LOS and the Bills got bullied last night for most of the game. 

• Like (+1) 2