Thoughts on the number of Josh Allen QB design runs

Patrick Duffy

I like the play once in a while to catch defenses off guard, but sometimes I think it's a play that is called a little too much. If I'm not mistaken with the ball getting knocked out today, last week it also happened(if I remember right).

Also just a little worried the kid is going to take a bad hit one of these go arounds and get hurt. Now don't get me wrong here, I like the play call once in a while, however (today for sure) I just thought it was called a little too much.

What do you think.

It’s not an easy call. We don’t work with him every day and know what he can handle. The coaches do. 

I can tell you that having him run forces D’s to account for him and that’s a positive for us. Is it a gamble? Certainly, but all of football is. 

Id rather just pound an RB instead of designed QB runs for 3 yards and exposing Allen to potential injury. 

Plus Allen picks up way more rushing yards when he improvises and just runs when its an obvious play call designed for him to throw 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 4

Just now, TroutDog said:

It’s not an easy call. We don’t work with him every day and know what he can handle. The coaches do. 

I can tell you that having him run forces D’s to account for him and that’s a positive for us. Is it a gamble? Certainly, but all of football is. 

I agree. It's great that defenses have to prepare for it, I just though IMO they kinda wore it out a lot today, but in any event I'm glad it all worked out and very happy with the W.

• Like (+1) 3

The goal line plays are good, the rest not so much. Allen is a better at scrambling, but he is not doing as well with that this year. Sometime he is doing well keeping his eyes down field, but I can't help the feeling that chunk plays are left on the ground on some of those. 

Too many today. But it was partly because they clearly have a pitch count for old man Gore and they know Yeldon is not a good runner. So they were trying to manufacture run game other ways. They overused both the designed QB runs and the reverses and sweeps and in the 2nd half the Bengals were alive to those plays

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

You don’t have to do it often to force that though 

• Like (+1) 1