Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Logic

Isn't it a weird feeling to observe the incompetence of other teams from the POV of rooting for a competent team?

Recommended Posts

Just now, Logic said:


They did? I must have missed that.

I'm guessing he's talking about the Peterman thing.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Logic said:

Looking around the NFL, I see stunning amounts of front office and team building incompetence. 

The Jets letting a Pro Bowl kicker go despite having plenty of money to sign them, then losing a game due to bad kicking and already being on the FOURTH kicker of the season by week 3. Also not putting good protection in front of Darnold and having to talk Ryan Kalil out of retirement. They also paid infinity dollars to an off-ball linebacker and a running back and a corner that they just benched.

The Browns ALSO failing to put good protection in front of Baker Mayfield, who now looks like he may be pulverized into dust before he can set the league on fire.

The Giants just...well...there's too much to even list.

The Dolphins tanking in such an obvious way that even good, young, recently drafted players like Minkah Fitzpatrick want out. 

There has always been this level of incompetence in the NFL, of course. The difference now is that, for years, the Bills were near the top of the "stumbling, bumbling" incompetence list. As a fan of the Bills, I never really had room to talk about OTHER teams' bad decisions. Now? I sit back, confident in the fact that my favorite team finally has stability, a GM and head coach that are on the same page, and a clear direction. I look at the awesome offensive line that this front office has built for Josh Allen, the targets they've gotten him, the purposeful building of the defense, the smart free agency spending, the culture...just about everything. I'm not used to looking at chaos and stupidity around the league and thinking "not MY team". This is new. 

I could get used to this.

 

I will definitely give you competent from a from a front office perspective, and without a doubt a culture standpoint.   Now they need to prove to me they can win against good teams before I feel like progress has been made.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Well then I think it’s best not to put too much into these 2 road games against 2 incompetent franchises.  Let’s see how we do against the evil empire.  

image.jpeg.cc011d221d5de58df7df643a46d5e535.jpeg

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

 

Yeah the idiots calling the coach McClappy and McBeane!

 

oooops!

I like McBeane.  I say it as a compliment.  They make a great team and I am glad we have them.

 

I find McClappy annoying because I know some mean it in a derogatory sense, but the man does like to clap.

I'll take Sean's clapping over this.

1657771892_download(44).thumb.jpg.6137e06807894cdb4ba0716712ae561c.jpg 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far so good after two games. I think the team has shown a lot of progress all the way around. I want to see them be competive  with or beat good teams. Knocking off teams with issues and projected losing records doesnt prove much. The Bills have 3 games to get tuned up for their litmus test against the Pats. If the Bills have turned the corner they will be 3-0 going into that game and either beat the Pats or lose a very close game. I didnt think the Bills would be a playoff contender until next year so if they prove to be that this year then Mcbeane has done an even better job than most think. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Definitely there is no question this team has improved significantly from where we were last year.

 

What seems evident so far through 2 games is McBeane finally have the team they want and can now shift the emphasis to coaching/teaching/culture = winning, rather than continually building the roster and plugging holes.     

 

Yes, there's still more work to do on the roster front (adding a true #2 WR, a difference-maker TE and maybe an upgrade at OT), but for the first time under this regime, I'm looking at how the game plan is designed and executed each week rather than "how are we going to plug this hole" as the operative theme of the week...

   

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

 

Yeah the idiots calling the coach McClappy and McBeane!

 

oooops!

Ill still call him McClappy   but because i like him 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Is it just me or is the Miami situation taking incompetence to a whole new level?

I have been a Bills fan since the early 70's and have seen a lot of incompetence around the league, a lot of it right here in Buffalo.

I can not, however, recall anything like the dumpster fire happening in Miami.

 

I have not had this level of optimism with the Bills since about 87' or 88', in fact I believe Allen could be better than Kelly and Management maybe be even better.  Don't get me wrong, I loved Jim, but he had his faults.

Allen is more athletic, has a bigger arm and is at least as accurate as Kelly.  Josh seems to have as much football sense as Jim, maybe more (I loved seeing Josh running the no-huddle this early in his career).  I think Josh is more coachable and has a better work ethic as well as being more team oriented and less narcissistic.

 

Yes this is a weird feeling but it is a feeling I have had before and one I am hoping becomes the normal again, at least for a decade or so!:D

 

First of all Miami might look incompetent but tanking appears to be their plan and if so, they are accomplishing that quite well.

 

As far as Kelly-Allen,  yes Allen is more athletic but Kelly was very very football smart, quick decisions making , i don't think Allen currently comes close to Kelly in this regard but might come with time.  Kelly for his team was accurate enough in today's league you have to be  a lot more accurate than Kelly was so Allen needs to improve. I will agree Allen has a better work ethic and is probably more coach-able.  One characteristic they both share is they are great leaders and are fearless, they are not afraid to make a mistake.  they come back and they wi l reload and try again, not go into a shell.

  • Confused 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Logic said:

Looking around the NFL, I see stunning amounts of front office and team building incompetence. 

The Jets letting a Pro Bowl kicker go despite having plenty of money to sign them, then losing a game due to bad kicking and already being on the FOURTH kicker of the season by week 3. Also not putting good protection in front of Darnold and having to talk Ryan Kalil out of retirement. They also paid infinity dollars to an off-ball linebacker and a running back and a corner that they just benched.

The Browns ALSO failing to put good protection in front of Baker Mayfield, who now looks like he may be pulverized into dust before he can set the league on fire.

The Giants just...well...there's too much to even list.

The Dolphins tanking in such an obvious way that even good, young, recently drafted players like Minkah Fitzpatrick want out. 

There has always been this level of incompetence in the NFL, of course. The difference now is that, for years, the Bills were near the top of the "stumbling, bumbling" incompetence list. As a fan of the Bills, I never really had room to talk about OTHER teams' bad decisions. Now? I sit back, confident in the fact that my favorite team finally has stability, a GM and head coach that are on the same page, and a clear direction. I look at the awesome offensive line that this front office has built for Josh Allen, the targets they've gotten him, the purposeful building of the defense, the smart free agency spending, the culture...just about everything. I'm not used to looking at chaos and stupidity around the league and thinking "not MY team". This is new. 

I could get used to this.

 

Dont get cocky just yet!

 

But it seems like the tide has turned and the new regime is the real thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   It’s been a long slog but some of us remember being a dominant team.

    During some of the bad years here it what drove me nuts. Guys would be holding out hope to squeak into the playoffs with teams that were going nowhere.

   For all the gnashing of teeth on here two years ago when we were ridding this team of “ good players” , this is the payoff.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

 

Dont get cocky just yet!

 

But it seems like the tide has turned and the new regime is the real thing. 

 

 

Yes, remember when we were 4-0 under Trentative a.k.a. Captain Checkdown?  The Bills are definitely better but have not arrived yet.  The season is long so one game at a time please.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

 

 

Yes, remember when we were 4-0 under Trentative a.k.a. Captain Checkdown?  The Bills are definitely better but have not arrived yet.  The season is long so one game at a time please.  

 

Didnt Fitz go 5-0 one year too on the way to 5-11 or something.  That’s why I live from 1 week to the next! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

 

I will definitely give you competent from a from a front office perspective, and without a doubt a culture standpoint.   Now they need to prove to me they can win against good teams before I feel like progress has been made.

I compare them to the 87'-88' Bills.  They went 7-8 then 12-4.

We aren't there yet, we still need some pieces to the puzzle,  need to learn to play as one, as a team, so it becomes second nature.

We are not 'there' yet.  If we lose to the pats* or Ravens this year it doesn't mean we are ****** and need to fire McBeane.

I can see us adding a #1 receiver, edge rusher, some more help on the OL etc. before announcing we have arrived.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Logic said:

Looking around the NFL, I see stunning amounts of front office and team building incompetence. 

The Jets letting a Pro Bowl kicker go despite having plenty of money to sign them, then losing a game due to bad kicking and already being on the FOURTH kicker of the season by week 3. Also not putting good protection in front of Darnold and having to talk Ryan Kalil out of retirement. They also paid infinity dollars to an off-ball linebacker and a running back and a corner that they just benched.

The Browns ALSO failing to put good protection in front of Baker Mayfield, who now looks like he may be pulverized into dust before he can set the league on fire.

The Giants just...well...there's too much to even list.

The Dolphins tanking in such an obvious way that even good, young, recently drafted players like Minkah Fitzpatrick want out. 

There has always been this level of incompetence in the NFL, of course. The difference now is that, for years, the Bills were near the top of the "stumbling, bumbling" incompetence list. As a fan of the Bills, I never really had room to talk about OTHER teams' bad decisions. Now? I sit back, confident in the fact that my favorite team finally has stability, a GM and head coach that are on the same page, and a clear direction. I look at the awesome offensive line that this front office has built for Josh Allen, the targets they've gotten him, the purposeful building of the defense, the smart free agency spending, the culture...just about everything. I'm not used to looking at chaos and stupidity around the league and thinking "not MY team". This is new. 

I could get used to this.

 

Generally agree. 

 

My main concern being that our wins are against 2 of those disasters. As the season wears on it’ll be interesting to see where we shake out. But you can only play your opponent and we have handled the business that should be handled. 

 

Ive said for years that the patriots didn’t build their dynasty by playing in the best division. Having some teams to reliably beat up on goes a long way in this league, even if not the romanticized “champions are forged by fire” storyline. You have to be good, but it sure helps to get a few easy ones.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

 

Didnt Fitz go 5-0 one year too on the way to 5-11 or something.  That’s why I live from 1 week to the next! 

 

2011 we went 4-1 in the midst of Fitzmagic mania including the great home win game against the Patriots that broke what, a 20? game streak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The eye test!!!!

Thats why you should start enjoying it now.

We have a Very good D.

We have a competent O.

We have a Franchise QB!!! Yeah, I said it.... a Franchise QB.

 

This is what all you nervous Nellies have been waiting for.

ENJOY IT 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

So far so good after two games. I think the team has shown a lot of progress all the way around. I want to see them be competive  with or beat good teams. Knocking off teams with issues and projected losing records doesnt prove much. The Bills have 3 games to get tuned up for their litmus test against the Pats. If the Bills have turned the corner they will be 3-0 going into that game and either beat the Pats or lose a very close game. I didnt think the Bills would be a playoff contender until next year so if they prove to be that this year then Mcbeane has done an even better job than most think. 

 

If you didn’t have playoff contention on your agenda until next year, your expectations of how the league works are a bit out of whack

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Logic said:


Nah. I'll leave "one game at a time" to the players. Me? I choose optimism. Again, I'm not "crowning" the Bills anything other than having a competent management team with a cogent plan. That's it.

 

This guy gets it.

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It feels different this time, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic for the time being.

 

It looks likely that the Bills and Pat's will face off against each other, both 3-0 against teams that are collectively 0-9. That game should shed some light on who both these teams really are.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...