First Half wasn't as awful as everyone is saying

mjt328

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

By definition, we all are in our own way

Not really. At no point yesterday did I feel the game was out of hand.

You had some people though acting like a 6 point lead was a 60 point lead when OBJECTIVELY the Bills offense was moving the ball all over the Jets defense.

it was ludicrous.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Or, it could have been a blow out if not for some lucky bounces for the Jets...

Totally agree, my point was that we could have more than likely won the game with a conservative game plan.  Instead we were very fortunate to overcome everything that happened in a road game.

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This is where I think many of you are in the denial stages of BBFS.  You probably thought Tyrod was the answer too, like I did.  

I get everything you are saying, but results matter.  You don’t get a moral win for things you did right that don’t result in points.  If our defense didn’t play so well, most teams would have capitalized better on 4 turnovers.

Those mistakes negate the positives and typically lead to losses.  

Don’t confuse plays that give you hope as being better than results.  

Going 0-16, but losing every game by 3 points or less and having good stats still gets you fired.  

I think the process is actually a lot more important than the results when you're talking about a sample size of one game. Moving the ball is more important than actually scoring because moving the ball suggests that the scores will come and will be repeatable. Obviously if it's week 17 and the Bills are still turning it over 4+ times per game, it doesn't matter if they moved the ball or not, but for Week 1 of the NFL season, moving the ball is probably more important for the rest of the season than some likely flukey turnovers are.

Of course it's entirely possible that the Bills ability to move the ball so easily ends up being a fluke too, but the specific turnovers that we had yesterday almost certainly are.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Not really. At no point yesterday did I feel the game was out of hand.

You had some people though acting like a 6 point lead was a 60 point lead when OBJECTIVELY the Bills offense was moving the ball all over the Jets defense.

it was ludicrous.

You aren’t wrong there.  I kept telling myself that if the teams were reversed, this was exactly the type of games the Bills would lose for not capitalizing on the 4 turnovers. 

I doubted we would come back because we kept finding ways to sabotage ourselves.  Even our run scheme was transparent and we couldn’t get out of our own way.  

For whatever reason, we just seemed more relaxed in the 4th and trusted ourselves.  

15 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

There is a lot of truth to these posts.  But I also think the game plan that allowed the team to move the ball also created the turnover situations to some degree.  The four drives that ended in turnovers and the one that ended in  a safety, may have all also ended in punts. I am not sure that it is fair to assume they would have all resulted in moving the ball at will. 

I think all but one of the turnovers was in field goal range. 

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

No, I’m saying that as great as they played in the 4th quarter, the first 3 quarters would have resulted in a loss to most other teams.  And that can’t be overlooked if we are going to be the team we expect to be 

It wasn't a loss. It was the first half of the first game. Let me ask you this - and it is an honest question: Why do you choose to believe the first half of play is who this team might be, rather than their second half of play?

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

Enough with the “Jets poor kicking cost them the game.”  The missed extra point was made up for by the later 2-point conversion (which Gase would not have attempted otherwise) and the Bills were robbed of a FG on the bogus taunting call in the first half.  The Nyets were badly outplayed.

I mean it's the reality of the game.  We came in with an unnecessarily risky game plan that nearly cost us the game against a weaker opponent.  You can't tell me that by the end of the 3rd quarter you didn't think... 'damn, I wish we just established the run and let the defenses battle this game out'.  To me, that strategy would have yielded a comfortable and controlled win for the Bills.

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

I mean it's the reality of the game.  We came in with an unnecessarily risky game plan that nearly cost us the game against a weaker opponent.  You can't tell me that by the end of the 3rd quarter you didn't think... 'damn, I wish we just established the run and let the defenses battle this game out'.  To me, that strategy would have yielded a comfortable and controlled win for the Bills.

Ridiculous. So you wanted them to gameplan to the Jets' defensive strength as opposed to their weakness?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It wasn't a loss. It was the first half of the first game. Let me ask you this - and it is an honest question: Why do you choose to believe the first half of play is who this team might be, rather than their second half of play?

20 years of reasons.  

Is that fair to the current team with new players, no.  

But, they need to prove they aren’t that team of the first half.  And, like many here, I look forward to them proving it 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Face it, four turnovers in a game much less a half of a game = terrible.  I am as happy as anyone to have a W but the likelihood of getting one when you lode the turnover battle, especially a -4, is exceptionally slim.  If this game were to repeat the turnover situation 15 more times the Bills are vying for the first pick in the next draft.

Of course.  But what are the odds that we turn the ball over 4 times in one half again?

4 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Totally agree, my point was that we could have more than likely won the game with a conservative game plan.  Instead we were very fortunate to overcome everything that happened in a road game.

I had no problem with the game plan. Maybe, just maybe, they were not so much fortunate to overcome everything that happened, as they were just the better team, played how they are capable of playing in the second half, and won the game because of it?

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, teef said:

it was just bad mojo/luck in the first half.  nothing seemed to be in the bills favor at all, but not once did they roll over and give up.  they kept it a game, and things finally starting swinging in their direction.  it was such a game of momentum.  

allen certainly made some mistakes.  i just don't think they should lean on him so heavily this early.  his mistakes are correctable, but help the guy out a bit.

Yeah, someone must have really pissed off the football gods in the first half. Luckily, they must have taken the right steps to atone and put the universe back in alignment.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Consistently

We will not be losing the turn over battle consistently.

Week 1 1st half wast flat out rust creating turnovers along with bad bounces. It happens. the true take away is the 2nd half of the game and the momentum our team takes from that headed into week 2.

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

20 years of reasons.  

Is that fair to the current team with new players, no.  

But, they need to prove they aren’t that team of the first half.  And, like many here, I look forward to them proving it 

I guess that is where we differ. I give each team a brand new slate as the past has no relevance to the current team. I choose to believe they are the team of the second half until they prove me wrong (and I actually didn't have a lot of problem with the first half - outside of a few mistakes and bad penalties).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

I think the process is actually a lot more important than the results when you're talking about a sample size of one game. Moving the ball is more important than actually scoring because moving the ball suggests that the scores will come and will be repeatable. Obviously if it's week 17 and the Bills are still turning it over 4+ times per game, it doesn't matter if they moved the ball or not, but for Week 1 of the NFL season, moving the ball is probably more important for the rest of the season than some likely flukey turnovers are.

Of course it's entirely possible that the Bills ability to move the ball so easily ends up being a fluke too, but the specific turnovers that we had yesterday almost certainly are.

Right. I highly doubt that every tipped pass will again result in an int, and that we will lose every fumble.  

24 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Haters gonna hate...and continue to skew his performances to meet their need to be right.

And what a miserable bills fan existence they must have. To be so anchored to their opinions and past takes on Allen that they cant enjoy a Bills win and to have no hope for the Bills future or the potential JA shows. its must be depressing. I myself am very excited to see how this team progresses. go bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I have been shouting this on twitter.  It is crazy how people can become so emotionally invested in a game that they lose all sense of what is really happening. The turnovers, in some peoples minds, completely erased how well we were moving the ball.  The offense was great all game. 

Ok, but let’s not go crazy the other way.

The Offense absolutely, was NOT “great”.

The D was in the ballpark for that word.

Unless, I missed it, Allen did not have a perfect rating as QB- as Dak & the “Running QB” did. He wasn’t Brady, nor even Rodgers against a monster D. or Mahomes or Stafford, etc.

He and the Offense were passable, but not in any way, dominant! They need to get better and have the luxury of two more stiffs to do so, before a real opponent shows up.

Go Bills! 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Ridiculous. So you wanted them to gameplan to the Jets' defensive strength as opposed to their weakness?

What was the score after the first 3 quarters of the game again?  How many consecutive passing plays to start the game?  How many INTs, O-line miscommunications, and should-be-picks, and missed Jet FGs happened?

Yeah.. we totally had a solid game plan to secure a road win.

• Sad 1

I kept thinking to myself that he looks just like Peterman did in the first half.  Then I realized what the common denominator was.

I get it the attacking of the offense at their weak point but my biggest gripe was not mixing up the playbook.

I agree tho that he was fantastic and dug deep and won the ball game against the odds.

I need a larger sample size before I commit to all this.