The Bills need to keep Duke Williams

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

An asset as in the style of play

- He run blocks....which Deb likes

- Physical size/Physical style

- Catches the ball in traffic....FIGHTS for the ball

We can see this in the little we have seen of him....of course he has not proved it in an NFL game....do we not give him a chance because he has never proved it?  At one point EVERY NFL receiver was a rookie....you could say this guy is a little more seasoned because he comes from the CFL

So you agree with transplant that Duke is more of a receiving threat than Hines Ward? Because that’s what he was responding to. 

Edited by Bangarang

14 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Good God.

Let him be Hines Ward then.

We all saw the Cover_1 analysis of his run blocking in the preseason.

Start there.

But he's bigger hand has better hands than Ward, so he's probably a bit more of a receiving threat.

If Duke just refined his route running, he'd be even better. 

If he was a bit more of a receiving threat than an NFL Hall of Famer, then he wouldn't be on our practice squad.  

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He was a 5 star recruit when he transferred to Auburn and the #1 JuCo recruit.

The guy is immensely talented.

His problem has been stuff off the football field, which he appears to have under control.

Hines Ward was a 5 star recruit coming out of HS.  He was All State in football, basketball and baseball (drafted in baseball too).

14 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Conan-OBrien-Cry-Facepalm.gif

So this, I admit, is the biggest reason I don't think Duke made the roster.

Fit.

I wonder if Beane and McDermott want to feel out Allen's improvements, first.

Because you could very well be right here.

All of Duke's success catching passes were with Barkley this preseason, not Allen.

Even those clips in practice today were from Barkley.

I'm sure there will be a bit of a feeling out process there.

The reason he's catching more passes from Barkley is because they were both back ups.   

For someone who is as big as he is, if he's more of a receiving threat than HOF Hines Ward, he would be our #1 WR right now and not on the practice squad.

It's ludicrous to say "fit" if he's as good as your'e describing.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

59 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If he was a bit more of a receiving threat than an NFL Hall of Famer, then he wouldn't be on our practice squad.  

What Hall of Famer are you talking about?

I was talking about Hines Ward, who is not in the Hall of Fame.

Hines Ward was a 5 star recruit coming out of HS.  He was All State in football, basketball and baseball (drafted in baseball too).

You're responding to a portion of the conversation that had nothing to do with Hines Ward.

The reason he's catching more passes from Barkley is because they were both back ups.   

For someone who is as big as he is, if he's more of a receiving threat than HOF Hines Ward, he would be our #1 WR right now and not on the practice squad.

Yes, they're both backups.

Duke also ran with the 1s in the 3rd preseason game and didn't get any passes thrown his way until Barkley came in, when he targeted him on his very first pass.

I get that you're one of the handful of posters who just likes givin me a hard time, so actually responding to you is largely pointless, but QB/WR chemistry on the field is pretty critical and directly related to a WR's production.

Duke, as several posters have been pointing out, isn't the type of WR who's going to get crazy separation from DBs, so establishing that trust that he's going to come down with the ball when you throw to him with a guy draped on his back is pretty important, don't you think?

Wouldn't surprise me if he and Allen start working together a bit after practices with each other to see what kind of chemistry they can build.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I agree Duke is no Hines Ward buddy

But I don't believe that Hines is in the HoF yet ... Boarder line guy

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What Hall of Famer are you talking about?

I was talking about Hines Ward, who is not in the Hall of Fame.

You're responding to a portion of the conversation that had nothing to do with Hines Ward.

Yes, they're both backups.

Duke also ran with the 1s in the 3rd preseason game and didn't get any passes thrown his way until Barkley came in, when he targeted him on his very first pass.

I get that you're one of the handful of posters who just likes givin me a hard time, so actually responding to you is largely pointless, but QB/WR chemistry on the field is pretty critical and directly related to a WR's production.

Duke, as several posters have been pointing out, isn't the type of WR who's going to get crazy separation from DBs, so establishing that trust that he's going to come down with the ball when you throw to him with a guy draped on his back is pretty important, don't you think?

Wouldn't surprise me if he and Allen start working together a bit after practices with each other to see what kind of chemistry they can build.

My bad in Hines already being a HOF...thought he was there.  I think he gets in just like it took Art Monk, Tim Brown and Andre Rees multiple rejections to get in.

Regardless if he gets in or not...he was a great WR.  1,000 catches and 12,000 yards....85 TD’s.

Duke Williams doesn’t have a single catch in the NFL and you’re already saying he’s a better WR threat than Ward.  I hope he certainly gets there but already proclaiming it now is ludicrous.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Good God.

Start there.

But he's bigger hand has better hands than Ward, so he's probably a bit more of a receiving threat.

If Duke just refined his route running, he'd be even better. 

:w00t:

i'll give you credit for one thing. once you grab hold of something, your like a rabid dog until the obvious is body slammed unto you.

tff

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My bad in Hines already being a HOF...thought he was there.  I think he gets in just like it took Art Monk, Tim Brown and Andre Rees multiple rejections to get in.

Regardless if he gets in or not...he was a great WR.  1,000 catches and 12,000 yards....85 TD’s.

Duke Williams doesn’t have a single catch in the NFL and you’re already saying he’s a better WR threat than Ward.  I hope he certainly gets there but already proclaiming it now is ludicrous.

When I said "receiving threat" I didn't mean that Williams would be a better WR than Ward, I'm talking more about they style of the player. 

Part of that is the QB throwing to him. 

Ward had a 1st ballot HOFer throwing to him much of his career.  As much as I like Allen... can't say that that's what he'll be, even though I think he's going to drastically improve this year.

I brought up Ward for the sake of style of play, which is as a physical blocker.  He got his receptions and his yards, but he wasn't exactly the guy other teams schemed against as a WR.  That was Plaxico Burress in the beginning of his career and then Mike Wallace at the end. And he spend the middle of his career with Big Ben developing chemistry together.

14 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

When I said "receiving threat" I didn't mean that Williams would be a better WR than Ward, I'm talking more about they style of the player. 

Part of that is the QB throwing to him. 

Ward had a 1st ballot HOFer throwing to him much of his career.  As much as I like Allen... can't say that that's what he'll be, even though I think he's going to drastically improve this year.

I brought up Ward for the sake of style of play, which is as a physical blocker.  He got his receptions and his yards, but he wasn't exactly the guy other teams schemed against as a WR.  That was Plaxico Burress in the beginning of his career and then Mike Wallace at the end. And he spend the middle of his career with Big Ben developing chemistry together.

There’s a lot of WR who played with HOF QB’s and not all put up his numbers.  He was targeted a lot because he was open a lot.

If you say Duke Williams is built more then yes.  But to say a guy with zero NFL receptions who is currently on a practice squad is a better WR threat (your words)than Hines Ward....yeah I think it’s crazy.

Its like you’re arguing you don’t need to prove it on the field.

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There’s a lot of WR who played with HOF QB’s and not all put up his numbers.  He was targeted a lot because he was open a lot.

If you say Duke Williams is built more then yes.  But to say a guy with zero NFL receptions who is currently on a practice squad is a better WR threat (your words)than Hines Ward....yeah I think it’s crazy.

Its like you’re arguing you don’t need to prove it on the field.

Of course you need to prove it on the field.

I'm not going to dive into the weeds over semantics or the connotations of words.

I did not say and did not mean that Duke Williams will be a better WR than Hines Ward.  I was using Hines Ward's style of play as WR, which I think you would agree is distinctly different from other WRs, as a model for Duke Williams especially when he first gets on the field.

Lots of talk all over the radar in here...let me simplify the state of things because there are some wacky statements on both sides of this discussion:

1. Duke made a roster, he is on our practice squad.  So those mocking him for that shouldn't be as PS spots are not easy to get, ask the 400+ other guys who got cut and didnt get one and guys get activated all over the NFL from the PS all the time.  Guys get added to the PS because teams believe they have something and need more time to develop, learn, or coach up.  
  2. No one should ever talk about a WR on a PS in the same breath with an all time great like Hines Ward...thats just wacky...let alone claim he is a bigger receiving threat.
  3. If Duke keeps doing the things he is doing, there is a STRONG probability he will at some point be on the active 53.
  4. The reason Duke did not make the 53 out right is simple:  SPECIAL TEAMS.  McKenzie had a strong preseason too worthy of a spot, and while Duke brings a different type of WR target to the WR group, McKenzie is also an experienced and valuable ST player as well.  
    1. Brown and Beasley will NOT be playing ST. 
    2. Zay and Foster have almost no ST experience and Roberts is solely the returner. Who ever got that final spot NEEDED to be able to be a strong player on ST too and Duke had no experience there while McKenzie had a lot of experience and is quite good and versatile on ST.
    3. Anyone trying to sell the narrative that Duke didnt make the 53 because he isnt good enough at WR is 100% misguided in their thoughts.

In the end, Duke proved he can make plays in the NFL and continues to show that even after going to the PS.  If he keeps playing with that same fire, intensity, and drive then he is going to find his way onto a 53 one way or another.   

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm not going to dive into the weeds over semantics or the connotations of words.

I did not say and did not mean that Duke Williams will be a better WR than Hines Ward.  I was using Hines Ward's style of play as WR, which I think you would agree is distinctly different from other WRs, as a model for Duke Williams especially when he first gets on the field.

If it was about style, then you would have said style.

I specifically was responding to your exact words of “he’s probably a bit more of a receiving threat”.

21 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Why can’t you just admit it was silly to say Duke is more of a receiving threat than Hines?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If it was about style, then you would have said style.

Now you know what I'm thinking?

What number am I guessing?

When I even brought up Hines Ward in the first place, this is exactly what I said:

Start there.

If you can't see in there that I'm clearly talking about style, then let me reassure you, I was talking about style.

I specifically was responding to your exact words of “he’s probably a bit more of a receiving threat”.

Again, not diving into the weeds here.  I did not mean "but he'll probably put up better numbers than Hines Ward" when I said that.  If that's what you thought I meant, I hope I've now eased your mind.

56 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Why can’t you just admit it was silly to say Duke is more of a receiving threat than Hines?

It would be silly to say Duke will be a better receiver than Hines.

I didn't say that he would be.

If you and the other fanboys want to keep bickering, I'll be happy to do it one on one via PM.  :thumbsup:

Edited by transplantbillsfan