Garage: what’s it to ya?

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Are they anything like the Italian American living rooms, where no one dared enter (under penalty of death) and all upholstered furniture was under Fingerhut clear plastic slipcovers?

No.  Not that I know of.  But there are "Guido Dust Collectors."  Ie: Mineral oil rain lamp:

119962051?profile=original

I told the wifey before we married that the garage is for parking the cars and hopefully keeping them tidy.  She thankfully agreed.  About once a year in both the basement and garage there is a clean out.  It is crazy how much junk accumulates even when you intend for there not to be any accumulation.

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Worst thing is to put a modern era refrigerator in a garage.  Sure way to possibly kill it, get the freezer to not play nice:

"Most refrigerators will have seasonal problems if used in an unheated garage. ... If the temperature outside is cooler than therefrigerator needs to be (generally under 35 F degrees), the freezer will no longer turn on to cool the system, so anything in the freezer may thaw."

My 25 year old cheapy garage fridge is still keeping my beverages nice and frosty. I am sitting between her and my other love...my boat, admiring all of my awesome tools and overlooking my gorgeous lawn. My garage is my man cave. My favorite place to be. I have several projects to start and a couple still unfinished within arms reach. My precious beer fridge says "not today".

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BUFFALOKIE said:

My 25 year old cheapy garage fridge is still keeping my beverages nice and frosty. I am sitting between her and my other love...my boat, admiring all of my awesome tools and overlooking my gorgeous lawn. My garage is my man cave. My favorite place to be. I have several projects to start and a couple still unfinished within arms reach. My precious beer fridge says "not today".

You're in OK.  Doesn't get down -25° F there.  Is garage heated, insulated? 

25 year old are still the good old ones.  It's the ones in last 10 years that are crap.

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

You're in OK.  Doesn't get down -25° F there.  Is garage heated, insulated? 

It did get that cold here once, February 2009, I believe, but that was a once in a lifetime occurrence (so far). Mostly hot ass summers, which is why my chilly ice box is so valuable to me!

• Like (+1) 1

Garage is used for storage; no cars but a scooter I bought for my daughter which she never learned to ride as well as my wife's table saw (birthday present from me) and lots of miscellaneous items.

Our garage is in a weird position.  There was not enough room to put garage on side of house so when previous owners added a 2 story addition they included a garage which is connected to main street by a driveway which is not straight.  I tried parking in it but one early morning there was very heavy fog and backing down that crooked driveway I hit pillar at end of driveway.  I have not parked in it since and my wife has never wanted to use it for parking.

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Are they anything like the Italian American living rooms, where no one dared enter (under penalty of death) and all upholstered furniture was under Fingerhut clear plastic slipcovers?

No, a Polish living room (also a Polish patio) is a garage with the door open where you would sit outside in the summer time.

12 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Does Buffalo still have "Polish living rooms?"

We used to call them "Polish Porches" - annual rite of summer was people pulling out their screens to put over their garage opening.  My family didn't have one but I would say the majority of people on my street did

I am one of the old school garage holdouts.  Space for two cars, so two cars get parked there.  I think I grew up with borderline hoarders, so I try to keep things tidy.

48409890866_b6c7148961_b.jpg

48409890116_5169729d98_b.jpg

I do have this sweet old Billz poster from 1991 and a cool deer head.  I need a beer fridge...

48410031702_19023e5dbe_b.jpg

48409886976_e297967392_b.jpg

Edited by ScotSHO
  • Like (+1) 3

I enjoy a good obstacle course garage. Not in mine, but a few neighbors and relatives have them. They sometimes, rather than you come through a front door to visit, they leave the garage open to navigate a gauntlet of sorts to get to the home entrance door in the garage. 

At times I look a bit before entering and see things I wasn't expecting.

Things that make you think "hhmmm" ?

22 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Worst thing is to put a modern era refrigerator in a garage.  Sure way to possibly kill it, get the freezer to not play nice:

"Most refrigerators will have seasonal problems if used in an unheated garage. ... If the temperature outside is cooler than therefrigerator needs to be (generally under 35 F degrees), the freezer will no longer turn on to cool the system, so anything in the freezer may thaw."

Not a problem IF your garage is insulated.

12 hours ago, ScotSHO said:

I am one of the old school garage holdouts.  Space for two cars, so two cars get parked there.  I think I grew up with borderline hoarders, so I try to keep things tidy.

48409890866_b2f572e565_b.jpg

48409890116_5169729d98_b.jpg

I do have this sweet old Billz poster from 1991 and a cool deer head.  I need a beer fridge...

48410031702_19023e5dbe_b.jpg

48409886976_e297967392_b.jpg

The only thing missing is a painted floor.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Not a problem IF your garage is insulated.

The only thing missing is a painted floor.

Let me guess.  @ScotSHO backs in,  the wife pulls in! ? 

Heck!  I don't even allow that... I am the only one that puts it in.  The wife is only allowed to pull it out! ?

*Hope nobody misses the innuendo, double entendre but I betcha @BringBackFergy & @Gugny will!  @Cripple Creek would never... He's the master at this stuff... It's all that BearCam® watching!

I have a two car garage.

For the first nine years at the house, in the spring, summer, fall seasons, the garage was kept clear of everything except the lawnmower and other yardwork tools, fertilizer, etc.

Easy fall cleanup to have both bays completely clear for both vehicles to go into during the winter.

Since I've been single (two years), I now keep the snowblower in the garage during the winter (used to keep it in the shed), but otherwise it's pretty clear.  All of the lawn stuff goes into the shed.  One of the sides is always clear for my car (year round). 

Once Lil' Gug gets his license/a car, we'll go back to the old way.

At any given moment, the entire garage can be ready for two cars within less than 30 minutes.  I have never let it become any kind of a storage unit, nor will I.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I have a two car garage.

For the first nine years at the house, in the spring, summer, fall seasons, the garage was kept clear of everything except the lawnmower and other yardwork tools, fertilizer, etc.

Easy fall cleanup to have both bays completely clear for both vehicles to go into during the winter.

Since I've been single (two years), I now keep the snowblower in the garage during the winter (used to keep it in the shed), but otherwise it's pretty clear.  All of the lawn stuff goes into the shed.  One of the sides is always clear for my car (year round). 

Once Lil' Gug gets his license/a car, we'll go back to the old way.

At any given moment, the entire garage can be ready for two cars within less than 30 minutes.  I have never let it become any kind of a storage unit, nor will I.

Don't you just park the Versa Note in one of those calf hutches?