Lorax: Healthy Trent Murphy is a game-changer

Healthy is the operative word.  McDermott and Beane are hanging a lot on Murphy being the player they hoped they found last year.  If he's not healthy, the pass rush will suffer this year, again.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Healthy is the operative word.  McDermott and Beane are hanging a lot on Murphy being the player they hoped they found last year.  If he's not healthy, the pass rush will suffer this year, again.

That is the whole point of the article 

• Haha (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

They have a rotation on the defensive line and if Murphy gets injured or doesn't perform he'll get less snaps and other guys will get more opportunities, like Shaq Lawson. We also know that Lorenzo Alexander rushes the passer in certain situations. They also drafted Oliver high to provide pass rush on the interior. And of course, our top pass rusher is Jerry Hughes.

Ultimately they will be fine regardless. It would definitely be great if Murphy is good and healthy, but the success of the defense (and even the pass rush) does not hinge only on that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

They have a rotation on the defensive line and if Murphy gets injured or doesn't perform he'll get less snaps and other guys will get more opportunities, like Shaq Lawson. We also know that Lorenzo Alexander rushes the passer in certain situations. They also drafted Oliver high to provide pass rush on the interior. And of course, our top pass rusher is Jerry Hughes.

Ultimately they will be fine regardless. It would definitely be great if Murphy is good and healthy, but the success of the defense (and even the pass rush) does not hinge only on that.

If this was one of those survey questions. I’d check the strongly disagree box. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

They largely have the same defensive line as last year, just swap out an aging Kyle for the rookie Ed Oliver.  I'm not holding my breath that Oliver will make that big of an impact out of the gate.  I suspect he will see that he NFL guards and centers are a lot better than what he saw while playing for U of H.  If Murphy is injured, I don't think the pass rush will be formidable at all, coupled with the fact that Frazier tends not to blitz or stunt to overload the opponents weakest link on the OLine.

Serious question here, how good did Aaron Donald look in his rookie season?  How big of an impact did he have?  I honestly don't remember at this point how good he looked coming right out the gate.  In my mind I keep pondering how much of an impact we can realistically expect from Oliver?(I'm also not implying I think he will match Aaron Donald's production in his rookie year although he could be close)

44 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Serious question here, how good did Aaron Donald look in his rookie season?  How big of an impact did he have?  I honestly don't remember at this point how good he looked coming right out the gate.  In my mind I keep pondering how much of an impact we can realistically expect from Oliver?(I'm also not implying I think he will match Aaron Donald's production in his rookie year although he could be close)

He won DROY and went to the pro-bowl in his rookie season. He had 9 sacks, 48 tackles, and 16 TFL in 2014. 

• Like (+1) 3

I mean, what is he supposed to say?  He sucks and got overpaid?  Between the injuries, PED suspension, and lack of production (19 sacks in 5 years), I’m not that excited for him.

but I guess he would like finding money in your laundry at this point.  I do think this defense is a really good pass rusher from being an elite group.  

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I predict 5 to 7 sacks from Oliver, which would be a good rookie season. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I wonder how that kid out of North Carolina A&T is coming along... Daryl Johnson Jr.

The Bills scouts tend to hit gold in their later round signings - the kid is raw, but has the height 6' 6" and the build that is in the mold of some of the more successful DE's, maybe not as tall as Jacksonville's Campbell (that kid is a sky scraper), but in the neighborhood.

He has some solid guys to learn from, will be interesting to see if he sticks.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

They largely have the same defensive line as last year, just swap out an aging Kyle for the rookie Ed Oliver.  I'm not holding my breath that Oliver will make that big of an impact out of the gate.  I suspect he will see that he NFL guards and centers are a lot better than what he saw while playing for U of H.  If Murphy is injured, I don't think the pass rush will be formidable at all, coupled with the fact that Frazier tends not to blitz or stunt to overload the opponents weakest link on the OLine.

Yeah. Mostly the same and the 2nd ranked defense in the league.