Bills 2017 Draft - It Might Be Really Good

Just now, Chemical said:

ok, true, but that's what I mean when I say it doesn't matter. Why even bring it up?

Because you're making it sound like the 2017 draft was a disaster because we never drafted him or Watson. It's not

Just now, K-9 said:

Does that mean I can’t be interested in his reasons why Mahomes and Watson would have been just as good in Buffalo? I maintain there is no way that would have been the case, so I’d like to get his reasoning. 

It doesnt matter if they're EXACTLY as good as they would have been in Buffalo. That's all i was saying to you 

They are star QBs and it was a mistake to pass on them. Whether or not anyone knew that ahead of time is also not relevant.

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

hmm a personal insult instead of examples to support your argument. Not surprised

Your insistence that I -only- follow the Bills is utter trash, man.

Just like your opinion that the 2017 draft was a disaster. Sorry. It's true.

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Your insistence that I -only- follow the Bills is utter trash, man.

Just like your opinion that the 2017 draft was a disaster. Sorry. It's true.

ok then how about you prove me wrong and support your argument with examples? I'm really not interested in talking about myself or you. This is a Bills forum

Edited by Chemical

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

ok then how about you prove me wrong and support your argument with examples? I'm really not interested in talking about myself or you. This is a Bills forum

I already have, man. By any objective measure the 2017 draft was a successful one for the Bills. They chose their starting LT, CB1, a starting LB, and a starter at WR.

One of them is already elite. Two are at the very least SOLID starters that would be starting on any one of the other 31 teams. One has potential.

That's a successful draft. Period. There's nothing more to be said other than that your insistence that it was a disaster is WRONG.

Say it with me, Chem. You were wrong.

4 minutes ago, Chemical said:

It doesnt matter if they're EXACTLY as good as they would have been in Buffalo. That's all i was saying to you 

They are star QBs and it was a mistake to pass on them. Whether or not anyone knew that ahead of time is also not relevant.

I don’t care if it doesn’t matter to you or not. I’d like to know GunnerBill’s reasons why he might think they’d have flourished as much in Buffalo. 

Bottom line to you seems to be that even if Allen goes onto to have a HOF career in Buffalo, it was still a mistake to pass on Mahomes or Watson. And that’s fine, but debating people with intractable mindsets is tiresome. So have at it with someone else while I await GunnerBill’s response to my question if he chooses to.

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I already have, man. By any objective measure the 2017 draft was a successful one for the Bills. They chose their starting LT, CB1, a starting LB, and a starter at WR.

One of them is already elite. Two are at the very least SOLID starters that would be starting on any one of the other 31 teams. One has potential.

That's a successful draft. Period. There's nothing more to be said other than that your insistence that it was a disaster is WRONG.

Say it with me, Chem. You were wrong.

How have the Browns or Bengals or Chargers drafted in the past couple years compared to the Bills? When you say it's a "good" draft you're implying it's being compared to the other teams. You could be right I just don't see the evidence.

Just now, Chemical said:

How have the Browns or Bengals or Chargers drafted in the past couple years compared to the Bills? When you say it's a "good" draft you're implying it's being compared to the other teams. You could be right I just don't see the evidence.

The Browns have chosen well, recently. That's a byproduct of picking top 5 for almost 5 straight years. Bengals drafts have been sub-par, Chargers have had some good picks, but I think the Bills have done at LEAST as well as they have.

2017: CB1, LT, LB, WR

2018: QB1, MLB, and TWO good CB

2019: Too soon to tell. I'm not sold on Oliver, yet. Maybe an RB too.

That's one HELL of a draft run if Oliver and Singletary pan out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chemical said:

Here they come, the personal insults. Keep em coming guys it really helps your argument

Nothing personal about it. I’m wondering how taking a shot on a QB in the 5th makes it a bad draft. Most people complain that they DON’T take enough shots on the position. Because one in the 5th doesn’t work out does not make it a bad draft. Maybe I missed something.....I’ve not been in this the whole thread. 

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

The Browns have chosen well, recently. That's a byproduct of picking top 5 for almost 5 straight years. Bengals drafts have been sub-par, Chargers have had some good picks, but I think the Bills have done at LEAST as well as they have.

2017: CB1, LT, LB, WR

2018: QB1, MLB, and TWO good CB

2019: Too soon to tell. I'm not sold on Oliver, yet. Maybe an RB too.

That's one HELL of a draft run if Oliver and Singletary pan out.

I wouldn’t leave out what might be a 10+ year RT in the 2nd in 2019 (time will tell, of course, but many had him slated as a first rounder, I believe). I’m a big fan of investing to win the LOS. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/24/2019 at 4:10 PM, John from Riverside said:

There are a lot of players that get snubbed because they are not a big market team and young

Tre WHite IS top 3 to 5 at his position....and the numbers bear that out.

What are the numbers you're referring to? I'm not saying he's bad, but what are the numbers that show him as a top 5 CB?

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Or Watson. As good as White is, with either of those picks we'd already be a lock for a wildcard.

Think of all the resources the Bills gave up to get into position to draft Allen one year after they could have had Mahomes or Watson without giving up anything except their regular pick. Hopefully it wall works out in the end but it's certainly a missed opportunity, at least.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chemical said:

Whether or not it was your intent to hijack this thread and turn it into your personal B-session, you have. To the point an otherwise great discussion topic is about to go off the rails. You’ve had your say. Find another sandbox or you’ll be responsible for ending the thread.

18 minutes ago, vincec said:

What are the numbers you're referring to? I'm not saying he's bad, but what are the numbers that show him as a top 5 CB?

Think of all the resources the Bills gave up to get into position to draft Allen one year after they could have had Mahomes or Watson without giving up anything except their regular pick. Hopefully it wall works out in the end but it's certainly a missed opportunity, at least.

That's the crazy part. They thought Allen was worth way more than Watson, who was as close to a lock to be a good NFl QB as there is, and Mahomes, who while viewed as a similar project to Allen had The same or better measurables  with a far more prolific college career. I'm just not sure how you make that decision a year out when a great QB just falls in your lap when you obviously need one.

It's over an done with now, but on paper it's an all-time mishandling of draft value.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

If you’re suggesting they’d be just as good here, I’d like to hear the argument why because nothing about their respective experiences in KC and Houston would be the same. 

Because they are both really good. 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Whether or not it was your intent to hijack this thread and turn it into your personal B-session, you have. To the point an otherwise great discussion topic is about to go off the rails. You’ve had your say. Find another sandbox or you’ll be responsible for ending the thread.

I’m talking to a few different people about the 2017 draft. I haven’t gone off topic once. In fact, I’m trying to keep the conversation on-topic while some are insulting me for simply disagreeing with them. 

3 hours ago, Chemical said:

I’m talking to a few different people about the 2017 draft. I haven’t gone off topic once. In fact, I’m trying to keep the conversation on-topic while some are insulting me for simply disagreeing with them. 

You ask about other teams like the Browns and Chargers and how good their drafts were.  Apparently they stunk because neither of them drafted Mahomes or Watson, and it seems that is the only criteria you use to judge that draft year.

Edited by oldmanfan

On 7/24/2019 at 3:15 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I wanted Evans who went before us.  But Sammy was far and away the best receiver and one of the best college receivers I have ever seen.  Matt Ryan isn’t Matt Ryan without Julio (Sammy and Julio has similar numbers after 3 years).  So it worked out for the Falcons and not us.  But they were essentially the same gamble.  

I mean 3700 28/9 and a 62.5% comp is pretty good in 2010