Earthquakes.

Chef Jim

Yeah, unfortunately earthquakes are part of the experience of living in New Zealand.  I guess that's why they used to call them "The Shakey Isles"

That said... I hate them!

Fortunately, the last strong one we had was now 5-6 years ago.  I'll never forget it.  I was in my shower and the entire thing started shaking back and forth like one of those old "Swingin' Gym" rides at the Webster Firemen's Carnival!  I could barely stay on my feet.

The worst thing is that we're over-due for a major earthquake on the "Alpine Fault" which runs up the full length of the South Island.  Ugh.

On 7/6/2019 at 12:04 PM, DC Tom said:

I remember the quake we had in VA about 10 years ago.  Was at work, the desk started shaking gently.  About ten seconds later, it got more energetic and things started bouncing up and down.  

People started running to the elevator (idiots) to evacuate the building, except me and another guy who looked at each other and said "So that's an earthquake?  Let's do it again, so we can be sure."  (Because science is repeatable, and amateur scientists are idiots.)

Was also interesting because of the ten-second delay between the P- and S-waves.  Earthquakes travel pretty far in the eastern US, since it's basically a solid basaltic plate, so the time difference meant it was relatively far away, so feeling it that strongly meant it was relatively strong (for the east).  

And DC still hasn't recovered from the "disaster."  :lol:

I was in Delaware when that one happened! It felt like my desk was sliding back and forth on ice.

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

Must be tough in Chicago always driving on the LSD, as the news calls it.

LSD, Lake Shore Drive... Is not bad.  There are no trucks.  Got commercial plates or "B-Plates" on pick-up, you risk getting a ticket. UNLESS you are making a delivery, no conmercial on the LSD.

4 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Yeah, unfortunately earthquakes are part of the experience of living in New Zealand.  I guess that's why they used to call them "The Shakey Isles"

That said... I hate them!

Fortunately, the last strong one we had was now 5-6 years ago.  I'll never forget it.  I was in my shower and the entire thing started shaking back and forth like one of those old "Swingin' Gym" rides at the Webster Firemen's Carnival!  I could barely stay on my feet.

The worst thing is that we're over-due for a major earthquake on the "Alpine Fault" which runs up the full length of the South Island.  Ugh.

You probably heard that there is debate about having another continent.  Zealandia.  It's mostly under water with New Zealand being the only exposed part of continent:

8th Continent: Zealandia

18 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

LSD, Lake Shore Drive... Is not bad.  There are no trucks.  Got commercial plates or "B-Plates" on pick-up, you risk getting a ticket. UNLESS you are making a delivery, no conmercial on the LSD.

You probably heard that there is debate about having another continent.  Zealandia.  It's mostly under water with New Zealand being the only exposed part of continent:

8th Continent: Zealandia

Yeah, I saw this a couple years ago.

There's new speculation that it's not actually a landmass... it's really a UFO on the Ocean Floor!  (But this was all based on sitcom math.)

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

With the big lights overhead getting under the desk is the smart thing. 

Yep... But... They should be earthquake strapped... Or at least a little more than in non-earthquake areas.  Still smart move.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

With the big lights overhead getting under the desk is the smart thing. 

Like how they keep telling me the smart thing is to get away from the windows during a tornado warning.

But how else can I see the tornado?  

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yep... But... They should be earthquake strapped... Or at least a little more than in non-earthquake areas.  Still smart move.

Yoi have all the answers don’t you?  During a quake you don’t think how big it is you worry about how big it’s going to get and is the building going to withstand the shaking.  Strapping them does no good when the ceiling collapses 

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yoi have all the answers don’t you?  During a quake you don’t think how big it is you worry about how big it’s going to get and is the building going to withstand the shaking.  Strapping them does no good when the ceiling collapses 

LoL... Of course.  But they are talking heads on the evening news... Who gives a *****.  They got two legs (well I hope), get the heck out of the building then.

Hate to sound callous... But Carol Burnett was right in the video I posted up thread: "The earth moved..." Big deal. Deal with it or take personal action.  Those two talking heads were probably right back at it after the break.

And yes... Securing will help.  Earthquake zones have stricter codes.  (If) the ceiling collapses and getting under a cheesy desk is like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle when you crash doing 98.   Nice, but I don't think it will help you too much when the whole friggan building goes under.

Anyway, there's really one answer... Get the heck out of the studio.  Rolling my eyes...

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

LoL... Of course.  But they are talking heads on the evening news... Who gives a *****.  They got two legs (well I hope), get the heck out of the building then.

Hate to sound callous... But Carol Burnett was right in the video I posted up thread: "The earth moved..." Big deal. Deal with it or take personal action.  Those two talking heads were probably right back at it after the break.

And yes... Securing will help.  Earthquake zones have stricter codes.  (If) the ceiling collapses and getting under a cheesy desk is like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle when you crash doing 98.   Nice, but I don't think it will help you too much when the whole friggan building goes under.

Anyway, there's really one answer... Get the heck out of the studio.  Rolling my eyes...

I take it you've never been in an earthquake. Please explain to me how they are getting out of the studio in the 15-30 second duration of your typical quake?  Get the heck out of the building........quit being an idiot.  

30 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I take it you've never been in an earthquake. Please explain to me how they are getting out of the studio in the 15-30 second duration of your typical quake?  Get the heck out of the building........quit being an idiot.  

Water he knows about, dirt not so much.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Okay.  Then just stay there and do the news. You win.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Okay.  Then just stay there and do the news. You win.

No get under the desk, protect yourself the news can wait.  I'm not trying to win I'm trying to point out you're arguing about a subject you obviously know nothing about.  I've experienced numerous earthquakes and all that goes through your mind is survival.  "I don't want to die and what should I do this very moment to ensure I don't die?"

14 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

No get under the desk, protect yourself the news can wait.  I'm not trying to win I'm trying to point out you're arguing about a subject you obviously know nothing about.  I've experienced numerous earthquakes and all that goes through your mind is survival.  "I don't want to die and what should I do this very moment to ensure I don't die?"

Yeah?  And the poor guy filming behind the camera?  The ones in the production booths... Etc... ???

I am agreeing with you.  If what you really say holds true.  Everything (what we are watching) would have went black immediately.  But... Oooo the anchors.  I guarantee, even when they cut to a commercial break (unless it was an extended break) everybody else except the Prima Donna anchors were not dropping everything.  I don't doubt you.  I just find the whole broadcast disingenuous. We are watching the freaking news, it's just not put on by two people!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah?  And the poor guy filming behind the camera?  The ones in the production booths... Etc... ???

I am agreeing with you.  If what you really say holds true.  Everything (what we are watchinh) would have went black immediately.  But... Oooo the anchors.  I guarantee, even when they cut to a commercial break (unless it was an extended break) everybody else except the Prima Donna anchors were not dropping everything.  I don't doubt you.  I just find the whole broadcast disingenuous. We are watching the freaking news, it's just not put on by two people!

I read that twice and still have no idea what you're talking about.  So this whole rant of your is because you think anchors are prima donnas??  If what I say is true everything would have gone black immediately?  And you're basing this on what exactly?  You think the camera men are using hand held cameras that they just drop and run?  You think that if the producers in the booth dive under their desks that the show stops?  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

I read that twice and still have no idea what you're talking about.  So this whole rant of your is because you think anchors are prima donnas??  If what I say is true everything would have gone black immediately?  And you're basing this on what exactly?  You think the camera men are using hand held cameras that they just drop and run?  You think that if the producers in the booth dive under their desks that the show stops?  

Noooo.  It's a disingenuous display.  They are putting on a show.  Sure there's an earthquake going on. Yeah... But let's stick around awhile, then freak under the desk. LoL...

I ain't great at writing... I am sorry about that... But you can't critically think.

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Noooo.  It's a disingenuous display.  They are putting on a show.  Sure there's an earthquake going on. Yeah... But let's stick around awhile, then freak under the desk. LoL...

I ain't great at writing... I am sorry about that... But you can't critically think.

Let me ask you.  How many 6.0 and higher earthquakes have you experienced?  How long would you like them to stick around?  Again you have no idea what you're talking about.  

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

some things in life are just amazing to behold.... like for instance, the last page of this thread.

EII has a way of doing this to a thread. 

Let me ask you.  How many 6.0 and higher earthquakes have you experienced?  How long would you like them to stick around?  Again you have no idea what you're talking about.  

EII has a way of doing this to a thread. 

Of course I haven't.  And I never hopefully will, I am not stupid, I know my limits. At least Carol Burnett (above thread) pulled it off with class... Maybe it was a much smaller quake then... I will give her that... 

Sign of the whining times Pal...

You live/work in an earthquake zone.  The earth moved. Talk about it (anchors) and move on.  When ***** starts falling, I will go: "Oooo, they should have ducked."

I will say... At least the male anchor seemed cool.  I have no doubt it was scary.

Oh... And it really is a marvel and testament how well we can build and keep people safe and still take a 7.1 quake.  It was a bit far out and deep though.  That should be commended and applauded!  

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Of course I haven't.  And I never hopefully will, I am not stupid, I know my limits. At least Carol Burnett (above thread) pulled it off with class... Maybe it was a much smaller quake then... I will give her that... 

Sign of the whining times Pal...

You live/work in an earthquake zone.  The earth moved. Talk about it (anchors) and move on.  When ***** starts falling, I will go: "Oooo, they should have ducked."

I will say... At least the male anchor seemed cool.  I have no doubt it was scary.

Again you don't have any flipping idea what goes through your mind during an earthquake of that magnitude.  Talk about it?  Move on?  Again during it your only thoughts are "is this the the big one they have predicting for the past 30 years??"  You don't sit there calmly and report on it.  You go into survival mode and when the shaking stops THEN you talk about it. I was sitting on the couch listening to the house rumble, the TV stand creak,  the chandelier sway, and anything not attached to something slide around.  By the time I was thinking "I should probably seek shelter (it came in two waves with the second being much bigger and when she suggests they get under the desk) it was over.  So stop already.  Talk about it.....sheesh.  

I had always wanted to feel an earthquake, but of course not get hurt.  While I was on a trip to Yellowstone waiting for a rare geyser, I got my wish - we were less than a mile away from the epicenter of a 3.6.  Not huge by any means, but it made a thunderlike audible organic groan from the ground that echoed through the whole valley.  For a split second it was scary - how could it not when the very terra firma under your feet gives way.  Considering each step of the richter scale the magnitude goes up 10X, I definitely have a deeper respect for those who experience 6's and 7's and even higher.  It has to scare the willies out of people, even those experienced.  

• Like (+1) 1

Again you don't have any flipping idea what goes through your mind during an earthquake of that magnitude.  Talk about it?  Move on?  Again during it your only thoughts are "is this the the big one they have predicting for the past 30 years??"  You don't sit there calmly and report on it.  You go into survival mode and when the shaking stops THEN you talk about it. I was sitting on the couch listening to the house rumble, the TV stand creak,  the chandelier sway, and anything not attached to something slide around.  By the time I was thinking "I should probably seek shelter (it came in two waves with the second being much bigger and when she suggests they get under the desk) it was over.  So stop already.  Talk about it.....sheesh.  

Whatever. We talking about you or the newcasters?  If it's you... I never been through it, can't understand... But sympathize.

Sorry for getting you all in a snit.  Take care my friend and stay safe!

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Jim, in EII defense (and i'm not in the habit of defending him to be sure), regarding the video in question, it seemed the male anchor was not too alarmed by the 'quake. he sure wasn't in a hurry to get under the desk, in fact, he didn't.  peeps are all different, everyone reacts differently.

7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Jim, in EII defense (and i'm not in the habit of defending him to be sure), regarding the video in question, it seemed the male anchor was not too alarmed by the 'quake. he sure wasn't in a hurry to get under the desk, in fact, he didn't.  peeps are all different, everyone reacts differently.

So you can tell by his body language that he was not alarmed by the quake?  You're heading into EII territory here.  I was sitting on my couch during it.  To look at me you'd think "wow, Jim is as cool as a cucumber"  I was shitting my pants.  Everyone processes these events differently.  The funny thing is that you think "holy *****, it's still shaking.  This quake is going on forever (my wife said this on Friday).  You then realize the quake is long over it YOU that is still shaking 

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Whatever. We talking about you or the newcasters?  If it's you... I never been through it, can't understand... But sympathize.

Sorry for getting you all in a snit.  Take care my friend and stay safe!

You're not very good at offering sympathy are you?

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So you can tell by his body language that he was not alarmed by the quake?  You're heading into EII territory here.  I was sitting on my couch during it.  To look at me you'd think "wow, Jim is as cool as a cucumber"  I was shitting my pants.  Everyone processes these events differently.  The funny thing is that you think "holy *****, it's still shaking.  This quake is going on forever (my wife said this on Friday).  You then realize the quake is long over it YOU that is still shaking 

Jim, i was merely pointing out that everyone reacts differently. if you watch the video again, you can clearly see that the male anchor was definitely concerned, though it does not appear that he was freaking out as the female anchor was. at the end, while she was ducking under the desk, he appears to be looking at some notes or some such on the desk, he didn't immediately duck under the desk.

further, in another of the other clips, specifically the one of the grocery store, it appears that they were standing around filming the lights swaying, they certainly were not immediately concerned about seeking cover.  everyone reacts differently depending upon their perceived sense of danger.

i'm could be wrong but i think i am pretty sure that if it was 'only' a 4 pointer that you would have possibly said, 'meh, that was nothing'. while quite possibly others may have been freaking out telling you to get under cover. 

not a big deal, not looking for an argument, just pointing out what my perception of the clip was.

Edited by Foxx
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

Jim, i was merely pointing out that everyone reacts differently. if you watch the video again, you can clearly see that the male anchor was definitely concerned, though it does not appear that he was freaking out as the female anchor was. at the end, while she was ducking under the desk, he appears to be looking at some notes or some such on the desk, he didn't immediately duck under the desk.

further, in another of the other clips, specifically the one of the grocery store, it appears that they were standing around filming the lights swaying, they certainly were not immediately concerned about seeking cover.  everyone reacts differently depending upon there perceived sense of danger.

i'm could be wrong but i think i am pretty sure that if it was 'only' a 4 pointer that you would have possibly said, 'meh, that was nothing'. while quite possibly others may have been freaking out telling you to get under cover. 

not a big deal, not looking for an argument, just pointing out what my perception of the clip was.

Again if you've not experienced it you have a hard time understanding it. For example the swinging lights.  Our chandelier was swinging wildly for several minutes and the quake was clearly over.  And it's funny. Whereas you see him looking at notes I see him looking for a safe place to go under the desk.  Watch it again.  

15 minutes ago, Foxx said:

further, in another of the other clips, specifically the one of the grocery store, it appears that they were standing around filming the lights swaying, they certainly were not immediately concerned about seeking cover.  everyone reacts differently depending upon their perceived sense of danger.

Thank You!  But I never lived through it.  I don't know. I got the same vibe (no pun intended).  Hard, I guess I judge more after newscasters in floods, hurricanes ham it up.  I am bad at sympathy... Yet, I am concerned with guys like Jim and his family's safety.

Jim sitting on couch... I am concerned.  News anchors, trying to keep the peeps from panicking... Another story.  Sorry, hard as nails with them.  Again, I  posted the Carol Burnett clip w/the Jackson-5 above.  Clearly JAX5 were from Indiana... They were concerned, not sure what Jackson that was, but he wanted to freak.  Burnett, really lightened the mood. We need MORE of that in the "poor me Facebook world" that exists today.

Sorry @Chef Jim I am bad at sympathy for the female anchor.... And maybe you if you think that you live vicariously through these two.  Again sorry... This is absolutely the worst way for me to make a pal.  I should have just listened to my Mama and be a soft shoulder to lean on.

Again... It's a newscast.  /smh

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Again if you've not experienced it you have a hard time understanding it. For example the swinging lights.  Our chandelier was swinging wildly for several minutes and the quake was clearly over.  And it's funny. Whereas you see him looking at notes I see him looking for a safe place to go under the desk.  Watch it again.  

:beer:

On 7/8/2019 at 3:50 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

"I think we need to get under the desk."

I originally saw that on FB, and the person that posted it commented "Looks like she has a lot of experience getting under desks."

• Haha (+1) 2