Mandatory retesting for driver's license

I'm a little peeved after the 4th encounter this week with people who can't remember the rules concerning right of way at an intersection.  Also, some guy following me in the village limits where it is 30MPH and I can't see him from either door mirror.  County road posted at 55 MPH and I make turn while visibly clear from left and 100 feet after my turn some guy is just about up my tail pipe.  He had to be going 80 plus MPH.  I will give out a kudos to the guy who used hand signals to indicate a turn while towing a junk vehicle as well as using the magnetic temp mount signal lights.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm a little peeved after the 4th encounter this week with people who can't remember the rules concerning right of way at an intersection.  Also, some guy following me in the village limits where it is 30MPH and I can't see him from either door mirror.  County road posted at 55 MPH and I make turn while visibly clear from left and 100 feet after my turn some guy is just about up my tail pipe.  He had to be going 80 plus MPH.  I will give out a kudos to the guy who used hand signals to indicate a turn while towing a junk vehicle as well as using the magnetic temp mount signal lights.  

It's a jungle out there. I dont think retesting would help that much. I'm more of the opinion that people know the rules and just chose to ignore them. Common courtesy is hard to come by these days. Life is too fast paced these days.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

It's a jungle out there. I dont think retesting would help that much. I'm more of the opinion that people know the rules and just chose to ignore them. Common courtesy is hard to come by these days. Life is too fast paced these days.

Ignoring the rules just about got me T-boned today and as fast as the guy was coming an impact would have meant a ride to the ER unconscious versus beefing about it here.  Good thing defensive driving is my game.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Ignoring the rules just about got me T-boned today and as fast as the guy was coming an impact would have meant a ride to the ER unconscious versus beefing about it here.  Good thing defensive driving is my game.  

I had to stop behind a mail truck today because a car was coming in the opposite lane and the truck behind me had to lock up his brakes and nearly rear ended me, then proceeded to cuss me out.

30 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

DC Tom's Rules of Right-of-Way:

"What are you doing?  What are you doing? Jesus Christ, what the ***** are you doing?  You're an idiot, I'll go."

Also: never use your turn signal in DC.  If you tell people what you intend to do, they will actively try to stop you.

• Like (+1) 1

My pet driving peeve is with  the so-called handicapped drivers.  They must be handicapped because they appear incapable of reading the words plainly printed on each side of the  blue rear view mirror hanger.  REMOVE THE HANGER WHILE DRIVING.  That's for priviledged parking, you dolts.  Do you think they'd instruct you to hang a placard that obstructs a great deal of the windshield while driving?

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Also: never use your turn signal in DC.  If you tell people what you intend to do, they will actively try to stop you.

Offensive driving at its worst. Oh, you want to change lanes? Let me speed up and block you.

course testing doesn’t fix any of this

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

"What are you doing?  What are you doing? Jesus Christ, what the ***** are you doing?  You're an idiot, I'll go."

I do that too. I'll sit there and wait, while they'll sit there and wave at me to go. Uh, no idiot, you have the right of way, you go. My wife will tell me they're just being nice. There's no being nice when you're on the road. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Today sitting at a light in Braintree 3 lanes of cars sitting at the light. 2 for turning left 1 for turning right. Guy comes past the 3 lanes gets to the light and turns right while the light is red. Not sure how he did not get hit pulling out into a heavy 3 lanes of traffic. People are nuts. 

Go to Florida and see how you like it. My father was thrilled to get his drivers license renewed by mail....when he was pushing 90. No telling if he would have survived a drive there to do it in person. My wife had a 100 year old client who insisted on driving her to lunch. I  rarely draw a line in her world, but old Harry was going to have to give on that one!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

You should “adopt” a Pit Bull (or two). Very cathartic. 

...and no testing. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I do that too. I'll sit there and wait, while they'll sit there and wave at me to go. Uh, no idiot, you have the right of way, you go. My wife will tell me they're just being nice. There's no being nice when you're on the road. 

God, I hate that.  "Hey, I'll just stop in the middle of the road and hold up traffic to let this one person exit a parking lot."  Sure, ***** with 30 people to be nice to one.

Right-of-way exists to keep traffic flowing smoothly.  People who ignore it are the REASON traffic gets ***** up.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

You ever been to the Philippines....

It's getting bad by the year.  People just blow red lights.  I was against the cameras here... But they are needed.

The red light cams have to be marked visibly.  IMO, these people get one and then run red elsewhere to "even the score."

Remember, the younger ones are all getting into the daily grind.  Millennials.  This is how they were raised: "Me first, I am special."

I mean, it has always been bad... Just getting really bad.  Glad I commute only a few days a week and against the grain.

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

You didn't mention; look out for "Diplomat" plates.