Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rico

Vince McMahon Considered Buying The Vikings In 1998

Recommended Posts

Imagine guys running out the locker room and hitting the opposing teams QB over the back with a folded chair when the zebras  have their backs turned 

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

love the top comment on the article, The Minnesota Vikings Experience :lol:

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

Imagine guys running out the locker room and hitting the opposing teams QB over the back with a folded chair when the zebras  have their backs turned 

Or hitting the Zebras!

9 minutes ago, Craig Oi said:

You know what.....After being able to look back at and see the Pegulias really stepped up and outbid everyone, Thank God. We could have been owned by...shudder the thought by a certain wannabe dictator who by the day makes us the embarrassment of the World....Vince doesn't even seem half as bad...at least every business venture he was involved in didn't turn into bankruptcy and endless lawsuits from people he cheated out of their hard earned money. Finally after many years of seemingly chasing our tail the Bills seem to have a plan and are making progress on it. I trust the process and pray to God in 2020 we elect an actual Adult and not the spawn of Satan.

 

 

I think you are confused. Bills were not on market when Robert Krass bought his team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think he ever had serious interest and JR said the same thing.  I don’t think that in 1998, that Vince had the money or the investors to allow him to purchase an NFL team.  I see this as a fun rumor that has very little substance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

250 million and now worth billions. it is crazy how much franchises have shot up. I think Jerry Jones paid just north of 100 million for the Cowboys and they are now worth 5 billion. 

 

Vince probably would have been a decent owner. He knows how to run a large entertainment organization and manage egos. He would have been great at marketing the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Craig Oi said:

You know what.....After being able to look back at and see the Pegulias really stepped up and outbid everyone, Thank God. We could have been owned by...shudder the thought by a certain wannabe dictator who by the day makes us the embarrassment of the World....Vince doesn't even seem half as bad...at least every business venture he was involved in didn't turn into bankruptcy and endless lawsuits from people he cheated out of their hard earned money. Finally after many years of seemingly chasing our tail the Bills seem to have a plan and are making progress on it. I trust the process and pray to God in 2020 we elect an actual Adult and not the spawn of Satan.

 

Or we could have been bought by some washed-up, has been rock star, "actor". Who had no intention of moving us to Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Craig Oi said:

You know what.....After being able to look back at and see the Pegulias really stepped up and outbid everyone, Thank God. We could have been owned by...shudder the thought by a certain wannabe dictator who by the day makes us the embarrassment of the World....Vince doesn't even seem half as bad...at least every business venture he was involved in didn't turn into bankruptcy and endless lawsuits from people he cheated out of their hard earned money. Finally after many years of seemingly chasing our tail the Bills seem to have a plan and are making progress on it. I trust the process and pray to God in 2020 we elect an actual Adult and not the spawn of Satan.

 

 

Not true. 

 

 

-There is currently a class action concussion/CTE related lawsuit against the WWE

 

-the WWE was sued by wrestlers challenging their status as "independent contractors" who were not provided health insurance and other benefits, etc.

 

-several wrestlers have sued the WWF over non-compete clauses after they leave the WWE--even though they are considered "independent contractors", not employees deserving benefits.

 

-the widow of Bret Hart sued WWF after his death. settled for 18 million.

 

-sued by various other wrestlers (Ultimate Warrior) over "intellectual property" rights to their characters

 

-Jesse Ventura sued over owed royalties McMahon was withholding.

 

Anyway, WWE viewership is in a free fall and business has a legit competitor now (AEW, backed by another, more wealthy billionaire--the Jags' Shahid Khan and weekly broadcasts on TNT).  It's an odd time for McMahon to put so much capital in yet another go at a non-NFL pro league.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I'm pretty sure Tom Clancy tried to buy a large stake in the team as well... 

 

subsequent divorce proceedings ruined it after he had an agreement to buy

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SF Bills Fan said:

250 million and now worth billions. it is crazy how much franchises have shot up. I think Jerry Jones paid just north of 100 million for the Cowboys and they are now worth 5 billion. 

 

Vince probably would have been a decent owner. He knows how to run a large entertainment organization and manage egos. He would have been great at marketing the team. 

 

All the "egos" are scripted characters.  Nothing like managing actual egos/athletes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

All the "egos" are scripted characters.  Nothing like managing actual egos/athletes.

 

thanks for sticking up for the integrity of pro athletes keeping egos in check   :D

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

All the "egos" are scripted characters.  Nothing like managing actual egos/athletes.

Those wrestlers consider themselves  to be athletes (you can debate that point until the end of time) and are just as crazy in real life, behind the scenes as any moody goalie, pitcher or wide receiver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

Not true. 

 

 

-There is currently a class action concussion/CTE related lawsuit against the WWE

 

-the WWE was sued by wrestlers challenging their status as "independent contractors" who were not provided health insurance and other benefits, etc.

 

-several wrestlers have sued the WWF over non-compete clauses after they leave the WWE--even though they are considered "independent contractors", not employees deserving benefits.

 

-the widow of Bret Hart sued WWF after his death. settled for 18 million.

 

-sued by various other wrestlers (Ultimate Warrior) over "intellectual property" rights to their characters

 

-Jesse Ventura sued over owed royalties McMahon was withholding.

 

Anyway, WWE viewership is in a free fall and business has a legit competitor now (AEW, backed by another, more wealthy billionaire--the Jags' Shahid Khan and weekly broadcasts on TNT).  It's an odd time for McMahon to put so much capital in yet another go at a non-NFL pro league.

 

 

 

Viewership is in the toilet and I’d bet that live attendance is down too.  What saves WWE from a business standpoint is the TV right deal which continue to increase.  But if numbers continue to fall, it makes you wonder if that will continue.

 

I’m not certain that AEW will be a competitor but if they can deliver ratings on TNT, I think WWE is in trouble.  

 

I was a big fan back in the day but my viewing has decreased over the slowly past decade.  I haven’t watched the product in over a year and don’t really miss it.  3 hours of Raw is unwatchable 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

All the "egos" are scripted characters.  Nothing like managing actual egos/athletes.

 

You don’t follow the industry close enough.  There are huge egos in the industry.  Vince does a tremendous leading and managing the talent - many times getting them to perform the crappy ideas him and his creative team write

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

Those wrestlers consider themselves  to be athletes (you can debate that point until the end of time) and are just as crazy in real life, behind the scenes as any moody goalie, pitcher or wide receiver. 

 

They are certainly athletic.  But they are actors, not pro athletes playing on a sports team.  Much different.

 

Before they enter the squared circle, both wrestlers know who is going to win.  Not at all comparable to the ego that are involved in pro team sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If any of you follow the business side of WWE at all, VKM is doing significant harm to today's product. I'm 30, have been a fairweather fan since I was way young, never in my life have I seen shows that are so far from sellouts and fans chanting for refunds.

 

 

Keeping Vinny Mac FAR away from the NFL was and is a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

Not true. 

 

 

-There is currently a class action concussion/CTE related lawsuit against the WWE

 

-the WWE was sued by wrestlers challenging their status as "independent contractors" who were not provided health insurance and other benefits, etc.

 

-several wrestlers have sued the WWF over non-compete clauses after they leave the WWE--even though they are considered "independent contractors", not employees deserving benefits.

 

-the widow of Bret Hart sued WWF after his death. settled for 18 million.

 

-sued by various other wrestlers (Ultimate Warrior) over "intellectual property" rights to their characters

 

-Jesse Ventura sued over owed royalties McMahon was withholding.

 

Anyway, WWE viewership is in a free fall and business has a legit competitor now (AEW, backed by another, more wealthy billionaire--the Jags' Shahid Khan and weekly broadcasts on TNT).  It's an odd time for McMahon to put so much capital in yet another go at a non-NFL pro league.

 

 

I'll fact check this. 

1. The vast majority of the wrestlers involved in the CTE lawsuit didn't only work for Vince/WWE. They worked for companies no longer in business with way lower safety standards.  Most also worked in Japan at once time or another. They are hitching their suit to the largest most successful company. 

2. Nobody forces these performers to sign contracts with WWE which contain language that they are independent contractors. All the wrestlers know they are classified this way prior to agreeing to a contract. 

3. The non compete clause only applies to wrestlers that are released from their contracts,  not the wrestlers who complete their contracts. They still get paid during the 90 days.  Again,  this is agreed to by both parties when the independent contractor agreement is signed. 

4. Bret Hart is still alive.  I'm sure you meant Owen Hart.

5. Again,  agreed to in the wrestlers contract. If a person works for apple and invents the ipod, then leaves apple, do they take the ipod with them? 

6. Ventura sued to be paid for his likeness being used on video tapes of old matches that he did commentary on.   Vince wasn't withholding anything.  Jesse believed he should be compensated. Does the networks or the NFL pay residuals to the announcers when a Superbowl is replayed on ESPN or NFLN?

7. I think your opinion is dead on with this. 

Edited by loyal2dagame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

I'll fact check this. 

1. The vast majority of the wrestlers involved in the CTE lawsuit didn't only work for Vince/WWE. They worked for companies no longer in business with way lower safety standards.  Most also worked in Japan at once time or another. They are hitching their suit to the largest most successful company. 

2. Nobody forces these performers to sign contracts with WWE which contain language that they are independent contractors. All the wrestlers know they are classified this way prior to agreeing to a contract. 

3. The non compete clause only applies to wrestlers that are released from their contracts,  not the wrestlers who complete their contracts. Again,  this is agreed to by both parties when the independent contractor agreement is signed. 

4. Bret Hart is still alive.  I'm sure you meant Owen Hart.

5. Again,  agreed to in the wrestlers contract. If a person works for apple and invents the ipod, then leaves apple, do they take the ipod with them? 

6. Ventura sued to be paid for his likeness being used on video tapes of old matches that he did commentary on.   Vince wasn't withholding anything.  Jesse believed he should be compensated. Does the networks or the NFL pay residuals to the announcers when a Superbowl is replayed on ESPN or NFLN?

7. I think your opinion is dead on with this. 

 

Yes, Owen, not Bret.  

 

The other poster claimed McMahon/WWE doesn’t have a history of being sued.  I was citing some suits to refute that claim.

 

i believe Ventura won his suit no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

 

 

i believe Ventura won his suit no?

Correct. Ventura won his suit and McMahon removed his commentary from the old matches. So in retrospect,  everyone lost including fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WWE_The_Berzerker.jpg
 
If he did, the Berzerker and Mantaur would be the official Vikings mascots.
 
 
mantaur-1808907.jpg
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

They are certainly athletic.  But they are actors, not pro athletes playing on a sports team.  Much different.

 

Before they enter the squared circle, both wrestlers know who is going to win.  Not at all comparable to the ego that are involved in pro team sports.

That is like saying that the egos in Hollywood aren't comparable to pro sports because they are acting. In my opinion the egos of the fake are much worse as they don't get humbled to often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...