Pit Bull Terriers: Should we require background checks and licensing?

1 hour ago, stony said:

Dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. No.  You're making it so easy to defend the "it's the owners, not the breed" point of view.  Pit bulls (is it even a breed classification?) have suffered from moronic owners who think their dog's are bad ass.  Often, these are the same owners who encourage bad behavior in their dogs.  

Maybe you are not familiar with how breeding certain traits works with dogs???  Maybe I'm not understanding your comment correctly?  Maybe you didn't understand mine?  Pit bulls came from their English cousins who were bred to to "bait" bulls.  The American pitbull was bred from those extremely powerful dogs to be fighting dogs.  The ones who wouldn't fight would often be killed by their owners and they would only try to breed the ones who would fight willingly and did so well.  So that mentality kept getting bred deeper and deeper into them as the generations passed.  I'm sorry, I love pets and animals as much as anyone, but those are, quite simply, the facts.  They were bred to be killing machines, not companion pets, not working dogs, not guard dogs, not even hunting assistants, but killers.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Pit Bulls may not even be the most aggressive breed of dog, but they are the ones who can and will do the most damage if they do snap.  I had a mini dauchshund that we had to put down.  Despite spending thousands of dollars on trainers, vets, a pet “psychologist,” psychotropic medications...she bit 5 people before we had to make that difficult decision.  Fortunate for us, her bites were tiny and largely harmless.  I think she only broke the skin once and just barely.

Chows, chihuahuas, collies, and cocker spaniels can ask be very aggressive breeds.  Unfortunate for PB’s is that they are so big/strong and attack so relentlessly and violently...their worst attacks tend to make national news.  I think Pitts are beautiful and I have found them generally to be very sweet and loyal dogs (although I have never owned one).  I would never, however, let my children near one...especially one that I don’t know extremely well.  Maybe less of a chance that they get attacked by a chihuahua, but at least the chihuahua wouldn’t leave them disfigured for life or dead.

The only dog that ever bit me was a friend’s schnauzer. It did break the skin through my pants, but I still had my leg. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Pit Bulls may not even be the most aggressive breed of dog, but they are the ones who can and will do the most damage if they do snap.  I had a mini dauchshund that we had to put down.  Despite spending thousands of dollars on trainers, vets, a pet “psychologist,” psychotropic medications...she bit 5 people before we had to make that difficult decision.  Fortunate for us, her bites were tiny and largely harmless.  I think she only broke the skin once and just barely.

Chows, chihuahuas, collies, and cocker spaniels can ask be very aggressive breeds.  Unfortunate for PB’s is that they are so big/strong and attack so relentlessly and violently...their worst attacks tend to make national news.  I think Pitts are beautiful and I have found them generally to be very sweet and loyal dogs (although I have never owned one).  I would never, however, let my children near one...especially one that I don’t know extremely well.  Maybe less of a chance that they get attacked by a chihuahua, but at least the chihuahua wouldn’t leave them disfigured for life or dead.

Yes. Well said. I was making that same point above. All dogs bite...but Pit Bulls take it to a different level. No little puncture marks or bruising. It’s the viciousness of the attack unlike many other dogs. 

9 hours ago, Mark80 said:

I just don't get the point.  Is it to look cool or look tough?  There are plenty of other dogs that look cool and look tough that have far fewer "accidents" of attacking/killing people.  These dogs were bred to be killing machines, not pets.  Society should let this bread die out naturally. 

I worked with a guy who was getting one and told me “I just like to see the fear in a man’s eye”. I looked at him differently after that, but I still hope he never becomes the guy with fear in his eyes.  

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I worked with a guy who was getting one and told me “I just like to see the fear in a man’s eye”. I looked at him differently after that, but I still hope he never becomes the guy with fear in his eyes.  

I hate to keep repeating myself but it really sounds like the majority of people’s issues lie with the owners rather than the dog.

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I hate to keep repeating myself but it really sounds like the majority of people’s issues lie with the owners rather than the dog.

I was never worried about the man ripping anyone’s face off. 

Not trying to be too harsh, and again most are good dogs and owners, but the facts are the facts. I don’t see taking the risk with so many better and safer options available. That’s just me. 

• Like (+1) 2

We've had this thread topic many times over the years.

It's important to remember the basic fact that dogs weren't domesticated to be pets...........their primary purpose was to help hunt and attack/intimidate/defend.........that included hunting and attacking other humans.     They were weapons before pets.    Even the cute lil' bastards were initially brought in because they were good at killing things.

So when you feel like you need a big dog of ANY breed be aware that you are, if nothing more,  morally responsible for the amount of damage that dog can inflict on another human being.

Simple as that.    

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I was never worried about the man ripping anyone’s face off. 

Not trying to be too harsh, and again most are good dogs and owners, but the facts are the facts. I don’t see taking the risk with so many better and safer options available. That’s just me. 

Maybe you should have been. A human can do a lot more damage than a dog.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

How do people feel about cats?  I went to pet the neighbor’s cat, Gus, this morning and he scratched my wrist!   Crazy bastard!  I’ve been waiting for him to lose it.

Cats are the spawn of hell.

How do people feel about cats?  I went to pet the neighbor’s cat, Gus, this morning and he scratched my wrist!   Crazy bastard!  I’ve been waiting for him to lose it.

Not a big fan of cats, but they are often better than “cat people”. Leaving my neighborhood for work one day I spot a guy dressed in dark green deep in a drainage ditch pointing a radar gun at passing cars and logging their speeds on a clip board. WTF? Turns out he was upset at the speed of cars in the neighborhood because he lets his cats run loose. Like, what exactly are you going to DO with that? 

I told a buddy who thought it was hysterical and he retells the story at a party. The guy on his left says “that was me.” Awkward moment lingers, until the older guy on his right who rarely speaks says “I don’t care, that’s effing crazy!”

And then there’s my sister-in-law, but I shouldn’t go there.....

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Augie said:

Not a big fan of cats, but they are often better than “cat people”. Leaving my neighborhood for work one day I spot a guy dressed in dark green deep in a drainage ditch pointing a radar gun at passing cars and logging their speeds on a clip board. WTF? Turns out he was upset at the speed of cars in the neighborhood because he lets his cats run loose. Like, what exactly are you going to DO with that? 

I told a buddy who thought it was hysterical and he retells the story at a party. The guy on his left says “that was me.” Awkward moment lingers, until the older guy on his right who rarely speaks says “I don’t care, that’s effing crazy!”

And then there’s my sister-in-law, but I shouldn’t go there.....

Cat people who let their cats run loose suck. I let my dogs out in my fenced in courtyard a few months back only to discover my neighbor’s cat hanging out there. Instead of jumping through the wrought iron fence and getting out of my yard it bolted along the side of my house with my dogs in tow into my fenced in back yard. If I didn’t snag my greyhound’s collar I have no doubt he would have caught that cat and probably killed it. As soon as it bolted it was like a flashback to the electronic rabbit. Instead my pit mix, who thinks cat chasing is a sport, chased it around until it finally got out of the yard, destroying plants and anything else in their wake in the process.

2 hours ago, transient said:

Cat people who let their cats run loose suck. I let my dogs out in my fenced in courtyard a few months back only to discover my neighbor’s cat hanging out there. Instead of jumping through the wrought iron fence and getting out of my yard it bolted along the side of my house with my dogs in tow into my fenced in back yard. If I didn’t snag my greyhound’s collar I have no doubt he would have caught that cat and probably killed it. As soon as it bolted it was like a flashback to the electronic rabbit. Instead my pit mix, who thinks cat chasing is a sport, chased it around until it finally got out of the yard, destroying plants and anything else in their wake in the process.

I kinda like how Gus roams around the neighborhood.  Everyone knows him, and he seems to know better to go into the yards that have dogs in them.  Sometimes I’ll be doing yard work and he’ll just come lay near me and “visit.”  He’s a cool cat, but he’s also nothing to be trifled with...

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I kinda like how Gus roams around the neighborhood.  Everyone knows him, and he seems to know better to go into the yards that have dogs in them.  Sometimes I’ll be doing yard work and he’ll just come lay near me and “visit.”  He’s a cool cat, but he’s also nothing to be trifled with...

The stray cat we had for a couple of years when I was a kid was such a tough street fighter that back then, in the days of free range dogs, the dogs would be walking down our side of the street, see our cat just standing in the front yard, cross the street and then cross back over when they had cleared her range.  

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

On 6/4/2019 at 12:52 PM, BringBackFergy said:

https://wnyt.com/news/pit-bull-attack-3-year-old-girl-schenectady/5376111/

I know I’ll take a lot of flack from some members here, but Pit Bulls seem to be the most popular breed committing these types of atrocious attacks. And I get it: it’s not necessarily the dog’s fault. The owner typically has something to do with the aggressive tendencies. But this breed has a crossed wire in it’s genetic makeup somewhere that needs attention. 

It’s rare for a golden retriever, yellow lab, pug or an assortment of other breeds to commit this type of unprovoked attack. This girl was sitting on her grandmother’s lap and yanked to the ground suffering major leg and nerve injuries. 

Here’s the other problem: this ***** owned not one, but TWO pit bulls. Double the aggressiveness huh? Battling for food? Battling for attention. So when the kid gets yanked to the ground, they fight over the little girl. Less of a chance to separate them. 

I read a story about a young woman who left her TWO pit bulls with her uncle for a few months, came back to visit them and walked them in the woods. They later found her mangled body in the woods with the pit bulls near by. 

There’s a couple with two pit bulls behind my building. The pit bulls are in a 10x10 cage and just basically stay out there all day. If they ever get out they are 30 feet from the main sidewalk used by young kids to walk to school. Scary. 

Like I said, some of you guys are responsible owners and would certainly pass a background check. But this breed needs better monitoring or should, perhaps, be discontinued altogether. The genetic makeup must be all screwed up to have these types of incidents arise as often as they do. 

JMO

In a Wny city that I lived in, some people had a tendency to just chain the dogs up indefinately. The dogs became even more aggressive and unsocialized. Some people have no business being pet owners.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/7/2019 at 11:13 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

We've had this thread topic many times over the years.

It's important to remember the basic fact that dogs weren't domesticated to be pets...........their primary purpose was to help hunt and attack/intimidate/defend.........that included hunting and attacking other humans.     They were weapons before pets.    Even the cute lil' bastards were initially brought in because they were good at killing things.

So when you feel like you need a big dog of ANY breed be aware that you are, if nothing more,  morally responsible for the amount of damage that dog can inflict on another human being.

Simple as that.    

Morally responsible is what the human owner can control.  Knowing when a pitbull is triggered and subsequently destroys anything and everything in its path cannot be predicted, nor controlled, by even the best dog owner.

The dogs can't control themselves; I don't hold it against them and I don't hold it against the responsible owners.

They are killing machines, but they don't even know it ... but when they find out, so do a lot of unsuspecting victims.

No need to keep it going.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

In a Wny city that I lived in, some people had a tendency to just chain the dogs up indefinately. The dogs became even more aggressive and unsocialized. Some people have no business being pet owners.

If it’s a goldfish, it still cruel, but society won’t suffer. 

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Morally responsible is what the human owner can control.  Know when a pitbull is triggered and subsequently destroys anything and everything in its path cannot be predicted, nor controlled, by even the best dog owner.

The dogs can't control themselves; I don't hold it against them and I don't hold it against the responsible owners.

They are killing machines, but they don't even know it ... but when they find out, so do a lot of unsuspecting victims.

Well said!

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

297 of 5 million are.     Build the wall dog racist 

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Yeah, but those 297 are some bad hombres!! Probably MS-13.

Here’s one for you Teddy my man.  Let’s say you had a young child.  Five year old Teddy Jr.   Of course Teddy Jr admires his father, so for Christmas he asks for a sweet new toy lawnmower made by Fisher Price.

Well, the good people of Fisher Price announce that they manufactured 5 million new toy lawnmowers for the holiday season, but 297 of them are faulty and will eat your child’s face off.  Tell me.  Do you take the risk and buy Teddy Jr the toy lawnmower anyway?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

In an otherwise mature dialog, you're putting on display the ability that any immature ass has to (hopefully) unknowingly ruin a conversation.

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

Morally responsible is what the human owner can control.  Know when a pitbull is triggered and subsequently destroys anything and everything in its path cannot be predicted, nor controlled, by even the best dog owner.

Well said! In the summer of 2015, my neighbors had a seemingly friendly and playful Pit Bull. One evening the dog "turned" on them and chewed everybody up. I looked out the window and paramedics were treating and wrapping their wounds. 15 minutes later I heard two gunshots...the cops shot him.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/4/2019 at 2:50 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know if pity bulls are naturally more aggressive but any big dog that decides to kill you can do it. That's why I prefer chihuahuas.

Chihuahuas can be aggressive little guys...they definately seem owner loyal!

On 6/4/2019 at 1:51 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Interesting take.  Especially the last paragraph.

See that a lot...gangster wannabes. Try to have a conversation with them!

Edited by Rocket94

Yeah, but those 297 are some bad hombres!! Probably MS-13.

Here’s one for you Teddy my man.  Let’s say you had a young child.  Five year old Teddy Jr.   Of course Teddy Jr admires his father, so for Christmas he asks for a sweet new toy lawnmower made by Fisher Price.

Well, the good people of Fisher Price announce that they manufactured 5 million new toy lawnmowers for the holiday season, but 297 of them are faulty and will eat your child’s face off.  Tell me.  Do you take the risk and buy Teddy Jr the toy lawnmower anyway?

I’ve got a different analogy. 

Airbag recall.  There are millions of cars with potentially faulty airbags that can go off any time. Those (more cars than pit bulls) airbags have killed and injured fewer people than pit bulls (fewer dogs than cars) yet there was a massive recall of all the autos with those airbags installed.

12 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

When we got our most recent Golden Retriever from a quality breeder, and I had to pass an interrogation before he would accept our money. Where do you live? Do you have a fenced yard? Have you had dogs before? How many? How recently?  What do you do for a living (as in, how long are your hours)? Will you be able to get the dog out? This went on for quite a while, and I was pleased he was doing a thorough vetting. 

My son and his GF got a dog about a year ago. I tried to warn them about what they were getting into, but they freely admit it was more than they expected. The only way they could do it was with my constant help early on, and occasional help to this day. You can’t just leave a dog chained up. It’s wrong on so many levels.....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

In an otherwise mature dialog, you're putting on display the ability that any immature ass has to (hopefully) unknowingly ruin a conversation.

Im not the one who thinks he’s thanos and wants to wipe out an entire breed of dogs.    

I’ll do my best to keep you from gathering all the stones.   

52 minutes ago, Augie said:

When we got our most recent Golden Retriever from a quality breeder, and I had to pass an interrogation before he would accept our money. Where do you live? Do you have a fenced yard? Have you had dogs before? How many? How recently?  What do you do for a living (as in, how long are your hours)? Will you be able to get the dog out? This went on for quite a while, and I was pleased he was doing a thorough vetting. 

My son and his GF got a dog about a year ago. I tried to warn them about what they were getting into, but they freely admit it was more than they expected. The only way they could do it was with my constant help early on, and occasional help to this day. You can’t just leave a dog chained up. It’s wrong on so many levels.....

Yes...so many good points. Owning a pet, especially certain breeds, requires responsibility. They need to be fed, socialized and the larger "working" dogs need daily exercise. We don't raise our children in cages...well I hope not. Of course this also is in and of the particular dog.

Edited by Rocket94

1 hour ago, snafu said:

I’ve got a different analogy. 

Airbag recall.  There are millions of cars with potentially faulty airbags that can go off any time. Those (more cars than pit bulls) airbags have killed and injured fewer people than pit bulls (fewer dogs than cars) yet there was a massive recall of all the autos with those airbags installed.

Are you suggesting we install air bags on all pit bulls that will deploy if they snap on a toddler?

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

Morally responsible is what the human owner can control.  Knowing when a pitbull is triggered and subsequently destroys anything and everything in its path cannot be predicted, nor controlled, by even the best dog owner.

There’s no research suggesting pit bull types are more prone to getting ‘triggered’ and attacking a human than other breeds of dog. 

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

There’s no research suggesting pit bull types are more prone to getting ‘triggered’ and attacking a human than other breeds of dog. 

Even if this is true, what do the results look like when they do snap? That little schnauzer didn’t even rip my pants. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

Even if this is true, what do the results look like when they do snap? That little schnauzer didn’t even rip my pants. 

It’s true. And your point about potential for inflicting damage is the center IMO of the argument and the part I find myself in agreement with the guys who are against pit bull type dogs. 

I think the question you’re actually asking isn’t whether people should own pit bulls per se, it’s whether any dog with the capacity to inflict damage beyond whatever threshold you find acceptable should be outlawed.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/7/2019 at 6:00 PM, GoBills808 said:

That's the problem. A great number of pitbull owners choose the breed specifically for the intimidation factor. It's like someone collecting way too many guns or a fancy car in order to mask personal insecurities. The dog is naturally going to attempt to impress it's owner by performing exactly the kind of horrific acts we're talking about. The owner doesn't have to overtly train the dog to attack in order for it to pick up the subconscious cues. The owner will likely not be "pleased" with a tragic incident because of the ramifications, but it's kind of what they wanted; even if they don't know it on a conscious level.

Disclaimer; I'm typing in generalities here. There are obviously pit owners who don't fall into this category.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/4/2019 at 1:52 PM, BringBackFergy said:

https://wnyt.com/news/pit-bull-attack-3-year-old-girl-schenectady/5376111/

I know I’ll take a lot of flack from some members here, but Pit Bulls seem to be the most popular breed committing these types of atrocious attacks. And I get it: it’s not necessarily the dog’s fault. The owner typically has something to do with the aggressive tendencies. But this breed has a crossed wire in it’s genetic makeup somewhere that needs attention. 

It’s rare for a golden retriever, yellow lab, pug or an assortment of other breeds to commit this type of unprovoked attack. This girl was sitting on her grandmother’s lap and yanked to the ground suffering major leg and nerve injuries. 

Here’s the other problem: this ***** owned not one, but TWO pit bulls. Double the aggressiveness huh? Battling for food? Battling for attention. So when the kid gets yanked to the ground, they fight over the little girl. Less of a chance to separate them. 

I read a story about a young woman who left her TWO pit bulls with her uncle for a few months, came back to visit them and walked them in the woods. They later found her mangled body in the woods with the pit bulls near by. 

There’s a couple with two pit bulls behind my building. The pit bulls are in a 10x10 cage and just basically stay out there all day. If they ever get out they are 30 feet from the main sidewalk used by young kids to walk to school. Scary. 

Like I said, some of you guys are responsible owners and would certainly pass a background check. But this breed needs better monitoring or should, perhaps, be discontinued altogether. The genetic makeup must be all screwed up to have these types of incidents arise as often as they do. 

JMO

Yes, the breed is not a pet. My dog got his eye popped out by a pit, because he didn't like him sniffing his butt.  F Pit Bulls.  When you look at shelters, 50%+ are these dogs. Enough.

• Sad 1

On 6/4/2019 at 2:46 PM, Jauronimo said:

You hear about it because of their capacity to inflict injury.  When a pit snaps it will mess you up.  When a chihuahua bites someone, like they do every day (vicious c@$ts), its not a newsworthy event.  

Pit attacks are also part of a larger narrative that the public thirsts for.  If it happens somewhere in the US, it will be a national story.  In the 80s it was German Shepherds, then Dobermans, then Rotweilers, and now its pit bulls.  Had a pit bit someone in 1982 no one cares, since the breed was less known.  Had a shepherd bit someone, its on 60 minutes.

It certainly does not help the breeds reputation that they're preferred by scumbags of all walks for dog fighting, guarding drugs, and dudes who think having a tough dog is cool. 

Sorry, I am passionate about this. They suck. They were bread for killing. They aren't a pet.

31 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's the problem. A great number of pitbull owners choose the breed specifically for the intimidation factor. It's like someone collecting way too many guns or a fancy car in order to mask personal insecurities. The dog is naturally going to attempt to impress it's owner by performing exactly the kind of horrific acts we're talking about. The owner doesn't have to overtly train the dog to attack in order for it to pick up the subconscious cues. The owner will likely not be "pleased" with a tragic incident because of the ramifications, but it's kind of what they wanted; even if they don't know it on a conscious level.

Disclaimer; I'm typing in generalities here. There are obviously pit owners who don't fall into this category.

As bill burr says, a pit bull is a gun you can pet. 

I don’t mean to come across harsh towards the breed, because there really are some wonderful pits out there. As has been mentioned many times in this thread, it’s all about the owners. I just don’t trust many to be good enough owners when owning that type of dog. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/5/2019 at 10:22 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

My son is 4 and I stand right next to him if anyone's pit is around.  I've never encountered a mean one but stories like this make me nervous.

as they should.  I've experienced it with my dog and others. F Pit Bulls.  They are not pets, unless you have a small penis! F them.

On 6/7/2019 at 10:58 AM, transient said:

You don't have to say that, the rest of your post makes that abundantly clear. 

What do you envision that letting a dog breed consisting of 4-5 million dogs "dying out naturally" would look like?  Do you think that if you ignored them they would do you the kindness of just going extinct?  Are you suggesting by letting them free to do as they please they would find the world inhospitable and just die out as opposed to forming more packs of stray dogs that hunt for food, thereby making the problem worse?  There is no eliminating a breed that large without euthanasia... so maybe you're suggesting "naturally" euthanizing 4-5 million dogs?

As for the "cool, tough" argument, I rescued my dog from a shelter when she was less than a year old and was told she was a mix of different breeds but not a pit, which I was suspicious of/doubtful of at the time (and which also is part of the problem for unsuspecting dog owners).  I was also told by the shelter that she was a year and a half old and that she was done growing.  When I took her to the vet he said she's definitely a pit mix and that she's definitely going to gain another ~20ish pounds by the time she's done growing, and he was right.  Regardless, I adopted her because she's the smartest, sweetest, friendliest, most personality filled dog that I've ever owned, and that was on display from the moment I met her.  I wasn't going expressly to adopt a pit, she was just the dog I connected with when I went to the shelter.

We get it. You love your dog, and you may be a great owner. They are not a breed that should be prevalent. Their behavior sucks. My 5 year old daughters witnessed "the sweetest dog in the world" decide to bite my dog's head, and pop his eye out, before I came over to beat that ***** down. My dog was on a leash just smelling ass. best dog ever, so ***** pit bulls.the woman who was walking her, had no control.