Pit Bull Terriers: Should we require background checks and licensing?

https://wnyt.com/news/pit-bull-attack-3-year-old-girl-schenectady/5376111/

I know I’ll take a lot of flack from some members here, but Pit Bulls seem to be the most popular breed committing these types of atrocious attacks. And I get it: it’s not necessarily the dog’s fault. The owner typically has something to do with the aggressive tendencies. But this breed has a crossed wire in it’s genetic makeup somewhere that needs attention. 

It’s rare for a golden retriever, yellow lab, pug or an assortment of other breeds to commit this type of unprovoked attack. This girl was sitting on her grandmother’s lap and yanked to the ground suffering major leg and nerve injuries. 

Here’s the other problem: this ***** owned not one, but TWO pit bulls. Double the aggressiveness huh? Battling for food? Battling for attention. So when the kid gets yanked to the ground, they fight over the little girl. Less of a chance to separate them. 

I read a story about a young woman who left her TWO pit bulls with her uncle for a few months, came back to visit them and walked them in the woods. They later found her mangled body in the woods with the pit bulls near by. 

There’s a couple with two pit bulls behind my building. The pit bulls are in a 10x10 cage and just basically stay out there all day. If they ever get out they are 30 feet from the main sidewalk used by young kids to walk to school. Scary. 

Like I said, some of you guys are responsible owners and would certainly pass a background check. But this breed needs better monitoring or should, perhaps, be discontinued altogether. The genetic makeup must be all screwed up to have these types of incidents arise as often as they do. 

JMO

• Like (+1) 7

i know pits that are very sweet.  my wife's cousin has one, and i love the dog.  that being said, i don't trust that dog or the breed.  i make sure my kids aren't at face level with the dog, and i always make sure i have eyes on them around him.  i know some people will come on here with some garbage about how they're as trustworthy as other breeds, and that's absolutely not true.  too many times have i heard about these ***** snapping and going after someone unprovoked...even with good owners. 

it's tough to place blame on an entire breed, but i personally don't feel comfortable around them for the most part, and i love all dogs.  our local human society won't let you adopt one if you have a city zip code, which is the only restriction i've come across.  that and home owners insurance rates will go up if you own one, along with a few other breeds.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i know pits that are very sweet.  my wife's cousin has one, and i love the dog.  that being said, i don't trust that dog or the breed.  i make sure my kids aren't at face level with the dog, and i always make sure i have eyes on them around him.  i know some people will come on here with some garbage about how they're as trustworthy as other breeds, and that's absolutely not true.  too many times have i heard about these ***** snapping and going after someone unprovoked...even with good owners. 

it's tough to place blame on an entire breed, but i personally don't feel comfortable around them for the most part, and i love all dogs.  our local human society won't let you adopt one if you have a city zip code, which is the only restriction i've come across.  that and home owners insurance rates will go up if you own one, along with a few other breeds.

That's not a bad idea. At least it's a start. If someone really wants to adopt one (or TWO!!!), they should demonstrate how they will be controlled, trained, supervised, exercised, fed, etc.  I've read too many stories about their "vicious propensities" relating to adults to walk up to one...I can only imagine what they can do to a little 3 year old girl or boy. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is a tough, controversial, subject.

I know that many people have owned pit bulls and have never had problems with them.

I also know that in nearly every pit bull attack on a human that I read, a common comment is, "we've had the dog for years and it's always been so sweet."

It is my opinion that the aggression/viciousness is "hardwired," into this breed.  It may be a recessive trait that can be suppressed, but it is always there.  And the unpredictability of when it will show is what's scariest.  I've read about multiple "otherwise sweet," pit bulls attacking their owners. 

I am personally scared to death of them.  For that reason, I won't go near them, as I fear that they'll pick up on my fear.

I don't think the breeding of pit bulls should continue. 

People can say, "it's the owners who make them mean," but the statistics don't tell that story at all.

• Like (+1) 5

I was with a group of college friends at a music festival in Geneva in 1999, and a female friend of mine saw a young couple with a pit bull sitting under a tree relaxing.  She was a huge animal lover, so she went and asked the couple permission to pet the dog.  The couple said “sure!  She’s so gentle and wouldn’t harm a fly.”  She offered her hand so the dog could smell her, and after a few minutes when the dog seemed chill, she began to pet it on top of it’s head.

I remember it like it happened two minutes ago.  She bent down slightly and reached down with her other hand to pet the dog, and the dog just flat out bit half of her face off.  Bit her up around her neck and ear, and thrashed around which essentially peeled that side of her face down to her chin.  I could see her skull.  I will never forget that as long as I live.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

That's not a bad idea. At least it's a start. If someone really wants to adopt one (or TWO!!!), they should demonstrate how they will be controlled, trained, supervised, exercised, fed, etc.  I've read too many stories about their "vicious propensities" relating to adults to walk up to one...I can only imagine what they can do to a little 3 year old girl or boy. 

i thought it was a good idea too.  in fact, the moment they knew we were looking at dogs, it was the first thing they told us.  not that you can't have good owners from the city limits, but that tends to be where the problems are.  a couple of years ago a remember that 3 pits got loose,  started roaming neighborhoods, and ultimately attacked a guy minding his own business.  he lived but it was bad.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I was with a group of college friends at a music festival in Geneva in 1999, and a female friend of mine saw a young couple with a pit bull sitting under a tree relaxing.  She was a huge animal lover, so she went and asked the couple permission to pet the dog.  The couple said “sure!  She’s so gentle and wouldn’t harm a fly.”  She offered her hand so the dog could smell her, and after a few minutes when the dog seemed chill, she began to pet it on top of it’s head.

I remember it like it happened two minutes ago.  She bent down slightly and reached down with her other hand to pet the dog, and the dog just flat out bit half of her face off.  Bit her up around her neck and ear, and thrashed around which essentially peeled that side of her face down to her chin.  I could see her skull.  I will never forget that as long as I live.

a girl that worked next to me in grad school who had the same pit for year.  i met the dog.  very nice.  well...he had a friend over and they were all sitting out the couch.  the dog was being pet and bam...the dog just bit the friend in the face.  never had an incident before, but the guy ended up with pretty bad scaring.  there's just too many stories like that.  i have no idea what appeal the breed has for people.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Sorry to hear this. And we all know other breeds can do the same...but it seems PB attacks are not only more prevalent, but more vicious in that they “finish the job” more so than just one bite. 

Here’s another story (with the typical defense of PB included...i.e. they are not inherently aggressive/fighting dogs). Beautiful young woman mauled by her “puppies”. Sad. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/17/571460563/virginia-woman-mauled-to-death-by-her-pit-bulls-during-walk-in-woods-says-sherif

• Like (+1) 1

I have met gentle pits...great dogs.  Beautiful and loyal companions, no doubt.  I still don’t trust them though, and I won’t let my children near them.

This is going to sound strange, but the only other breed that I’ve had horrible experiences with are mini dachshunds.  Those things are such a crap shoot.  You either get a lovely, gentle one, or they are completely bat ***** crazy.  

35 minutes ago, teef said:

You hear about it because of their capacity to inflict injury.  When a pit snaps it will mess you up.  When a chihuahua bites someone, like they do every day (vicious c@$ts), its not a newsworthy event.  

Pit attacks are also part of a larger narrative that the public thirsts for.  If it happens somewhere in the US, it will be a national story.  In the 80s it was German Shepherds, then Dobermans, then Rotweilers, and now its pit bulls.  Had a pit bit someone in 1982 no one cares, since the breed was less known.  Had a shepherd bit someone, its on 60 minutes.

It certainly does not help the breeds reputation that they're preferred by scumbags of all walks for dog fighting, guarding drugs, and dudes who think having a tough dog is cool. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You hear about it because of their capacity to inflict injury.  When a pit snaps it will mess you up.  When a chihuahua bites someone, like they do every day (vicious c@$ts), its not a newsworthy event.  

Pit attacks are also part of a larger narrative that the public thirsts for.  If it happens somewhere in the US, it will be a national story.  In the 80s it was German Shepherds, then Dobermans, then Rotweilers, and now its pit bulls.  Had a pit bit someone in 1982 no one cares, since the breed was less known.  Had a shepherd bit someone, its on 60 minutes.

It certainly does not help the breeds reputation that they're preferred by scumbags of all walks for dog fighting, guarding drugs, and dudes who think having a tough dog is cool. 

Interesting take.  Especially the last paragraph.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

A bite from a poodle, Doberman or Collie, yes they happen all the time. I’ve just never read stories about those breeds attacking and mauling victims (as in the above stories). I know what you’re saying but this breed exemplifies “warrior”. 

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

I partially agree with this.  I still think continuing to breed them makes no sense.

In the 80s, the "mean dogs," were Dobermans and Shepherds, as you said.  I don't remember ever seeing a pit bull - I might not have even heard of them back then.

Pit bulls are being overbred and poorly bred and - as you stated - sold to scum bags (yes ... that's a gross generalization).  I have a couple who works for me who breeds pit bulls.  One of my other employees bought one ... and she has her 1-year-old granddaughter living with her.

I don't ever remember Dobermans or Shepherds being nearly as common as pit bulls are today.  That's another big part of the problem (as well as a contributor to the stats) ... there are way too many of them.

The breeding needs to stop.

Just now, Gugny said:

I partially agree with this.  I still think continuing to breed them makes no sense.

In the 80s, the "mean dogs," were Dobermans and Shepherds, as you said.  I don't remember ever seeing a pit bull - I might not have even heard of them back then.

Pit bulls are being overbred and poorly bred and - as you stated - sold to scum bags (yes ... that's a gross generalization).  I have a couple who works for me who breeds pit bulls.  One of my other employees bought one ... and she has her 1-year-old granddaughter living with her.

I don't ever remember Dobermans or Shepherds being nearly as common as pit bulls are today.  That's another big part of the problem (as well as a contributor to the stats) ... there are way too many of them.

The breeding needs to stop.

Agree. If these dogs just punctured a thigh or bit a hand, shoot, that happens with many dogs. But with PB’s, they take it to another level when blood is drawn. It becomes a challenge for them to take the victim down and silence it’s screams. The more the person cries for help, the more ferocious they seem to get (as evidenced by 70 year old woman story above); either that or she had a meatloaf sandwich in her front pocket. Shame on her. 

44 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This.  I have several close female friends who would defend the breed all day long.  When I see someone get down in a pit bull's face nuzzling the animal I absolutely fear the worst.

I don't trust pit bulls despite the fact I'm a firm believer that dog owners are responsible for most of the problems with dogs.  It does just seem to be the case that something "snaps" with that breed unlike any other.

You can debate the fact that pit bulls are more likely to attack than other breeds, but you cannot debate the fact that they are capable of doing much more harm than almost all other breeds.  They should absolutely only be owned by very experienced and vigilant dog owners.  I do not see why anyone would breed pit bulls.  If you care about the breed at all, you would realize that the shelters are overflowing with pit bulls and there is zero need for any more at this time.  A little off topic, but I hope they close the loophole of "emotional support dogs" that allow people to skirt breed restrictions in many cases.  Apartment complexes should not be forced to accept the huge liability that comes with certain breeds of dogs and irresponsible owners.  Not to mention the danger to other residents and dogs that share the grounds with them.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I know that many people have owned pit bulls and have never had problems with them.

I also know that in nearly every pit bull attack on a human that I read, a common comment is, "we've had the dog for years and it's always been so sweet."

It is my opinion that the aggression/viciousness is "hardwired," into this breed.  It may be a recessive trait that can be suppressed, but it is always there.  And the unpredictability of when it will show is what's scariest.  I've read about multiple "otherwise sweet," pit bulls attacking their owners. 

I am personally scared to death of them.  For that reason, I won't go near them, as I fear that they'll pick up on my fear.

I don't think the breeding of pit bulls should continue. 

People can say, "it's the owners who make them mean," but the statistics don't tell that story at all.

Damn...so much for you ever excepting a invitation to my home when you make it in.

I never thought of you as being a closed minded guy.