Pit Bull Terriers: Should we require background checks and licensing?

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

Damn...so much for you ever excepting a invitation to my home when you make it in.

I never thought of you as being a closed minded guy.

I'm definitely not close-minded, man.  I'm just afraid of pit bulls.  I'm sure your dog has been a wonderful pet and I'm sure you're a great dog owner.  My thoughts on pit bulls don't mean I don't like them, per se.  I'm simply afraid of them and I think they live their entire lives "this close" from mauling someone.  That's not their fault and, thankfully, 100% of them aren't triggered in their lifetimes.

But too many of them are.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm definitely not close-minded, man.  I'm just afraid of pit bulls.  I'm sure your dog has been a wonderful pet and I'm sure you're a great dog owner.  My thoughts on pit bulls don't mean I don't like them, per se.  I'm simply afraid of them and I think they live their entire lives "this close" from mauling someone.  That's not their fault and, thankfully, 100% of them aren't triggered in their lifetimes.

But too many of them are.

I'm the same man... really don't like being around them either, no matter of "oh he's a big baby" what an owner says. Give me a black lab all day long. I hate those little teacup style dogs too... don't really care what Mimi is wearing or did today or yesterday or ever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

It would be peak 2019 America to make it harder to get a pit bull than an AR-15.

Was it logical to bring gun control into a thread about dogs?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Is it illogical to think that a gun should be harder to obtain than a dog?

This isn't the thread to discuss that.  Out of respect for the OP, the topic should remain pit bulls ... which has nothing to do with firearms.

2 minutes ago, T&C said:

I'm the same man... really don't like being around them either, no matter of "oh he's a big baby" what an owner says. Give me a black lab all day long. I hate those little teacup style dogs too... don't really care what Mimi is wearing or did today or yesterday or ever.

Do you really ever think I would put you in harm's way???????

Anybody with a invite to my HOME becomes part of us...you people are strange,not trustworthy...

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

Do you really ever think I would put you in harm's way???????

Anybody with a invite to my HOME becomes part of us...you people are strange,not trustworthy...

Your passion is not surprising to me.  Other pit bull owners will eventually come to this thread with similar passion.  I, for one, will not judge; you've had a pit bull for a decade with no problems.  That is awesome.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

You hear about it because of their capacity to inflict injury.  When a pit snaps it will mess you up.  When a chihuahua bites someone, like they do every day (vicious c@$ts), its not a newsworthy event.  

Pit attacks are also part of a larger narrative that the public thirsts for.  If it happens somewhere in the US, it will be a national story.  In the 80s it was German Shepherds, then Dobermans, then Rotweilers, and now its pit bulls.  Had a pit bit someone in 1982 no one cares, since the breed was less known.  Had a shepherd bit someone, its on 60 minutes.

It certainly does not help the breeds reputation that they're preferred by scumbags of all walks for dog fighting, guarding drugs, and dudes who think having a tough dog is cool. 

oh absolutely.  it's all part of it.  funny you mention dobermans and rots.  my best friend has dobermans that i get excited to see, and my brother has a rotweiler that i completely trust my kids around.  i probably should, but i don't carry nearly as much fear for them as i would a pit.  

I'm like gugny...i'm just nervous around pits, and now i get anxious that they pick up on it, which makes them more nervous, and more likely to react.  the stories i've heard, (and you're right...the media loves to pump them up) are just too much, but on the same note, the stories exist for a reason.  

i think part of it too is the point of my life i'm living right now...small kids are present.  we have a yellow lab the kids absolutely crawl all over, and all that dog does is give me a ***** you look, and takes it.  he'll never bite, nor do i have a fear he will.  i can't say the same about certain breeds, including more than just pits.

A roommate of mine had a pitbull for about 8 years. I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, 99% of the time he WAS the sweetest, gentlest, most playful dog around. 

On the other hand, there were times when he would display a really intense prey drive and go after my cat is if he was going to kill him. Now, obviously a dog going after a cat is pretty normal, natural stuff. But like I said, the ferocity and suddenness with which he would go from "playful and sweet" to "trying to kill" was pretty wild. Rarely, there were also certain human visitors to the house that, for whatever reason, he just didn't like. His demeanor became rather scary around these people, as well.

At the end of the day, I stand by the notion that the most vicious dogs I've ever met have generally been chihuahas. Nasty little buggers!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I'm pro-gun and pro-dog

An AR15 is an inanimate object that is only dangerous when controlled by a human

A pit bull is a live animal that can be dangerous when not controlled by a human

But even some of the most loving, well-behaved, otherwise peaceful pit bulls who've been carefully controlled and raised by responsible dog owners, can snap.  And when they snap, people aren't getting stitches.  They're having reconstructive surgery or being buried.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Logic said:

A roommate of mine had a pitbull for about 8 years. I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, 99% of the time he WAS the sweetest, gentlest, most playful dog around. 

On the other hand, there were times when he would display a really intense prey drive and go after my cat is if he was going to kill him. Now, obviously a dog going after a cat is pretty normal, natural stuff. But like I said, the ferocity and suddenness with which he would go from "playful and sweet" to "trying to kill" was pretty wild. Rarely, there were also certain human visitors to the house that, for whatever reason, he just didn't like. His demeanor became rather scary around these people, as well.

At the end of the day, I stand by the notion that the most vicious dogs I've ever met have generally been chihuahas. Nasty little buggers!

I know people who love them and swear by them. Almost all the time they are great pets.....but I don’t ever want to fear for my safety or that of anyone around me. I don’t have to worry if our little grandson pulls on my Golden Retriever’s ear. Nothing bad is EVER going to happen, and I am certain of that.  

Aside from the breed, some of the owners are wacko. Just a handful, as most are great. But I worked with a guy who was getting one and on his list of reasons was “I like to see the fear in a man’s eyes.” WTF???

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

But even some of the most loving, well-behaved, otherwise peaceful pit bull who's been carefully controlled and raised by a responsible dog owner, can snap.  And when they snap, people aren't getting stitches.  They're having reconstructive surgery or being buried.

When pit bulls snap, do they snap on their family or do they snap against another person they are not as familiar with or trained to be obedient to?

Serious question, my experience is with more docile breeds

Just now, /dev/null said:

When pit bulls snap, do they snap on their family or do they snap against another person they are not as familiar with or trained to be obedient to?

Serious question, my experience is with more docile breeds

This topic comes up here from time to time.  Years ago, I did a deep dive into pit bull attack statistics.  I do remember reading that a "higher than one would think" percentage of pit bull attacks were on owners/family; the dogs were historically well-behaved.

I do think that there are scores of horrible pit bull owners who do "help" the dogs become mean.

But it is abundantly clear that it's simply part of their genetic make-up. 

I’m on my second pit and think I’ve signed up on the pitbull owner for life dotted line.   

Wonderful dogs who need to be saved by people like me because .0001% of them have bit or killed someone. 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

but any big dog that decides to kill you can do it

This seems pretty far fetched, just smush their cheeks together and yell at them. 

Gotta alpha that dog ?.  Or start going to a gym 

Edited by Teddy KGB

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

You hear about it because of their capacity to inflict injury.  When a pit snaps it will mess you up.  When a chihuahua bites someone, like they do every day (vicious c@$ts), its not a newsworthy event.  

Pit attacks are also part of a larger narrative that the public thirsts for.  If it happens somewhere in the US, it will be a national story.  In the 80s it was German Shepherds, then Dobermans, then Rotweilers, and now its pit bulls.  Had a pit bit someone in 1982 no one cares, since the breed was less known.  Had a shepherd bit someone, its on 60 minutes.

It certainly does not help the breeds reputation that they're preferred by scumbags of all walks for dog fighting, guarding drugs, and dudes who think having a tough dog is cool. 

Statistics...crap owners tend to go for certain breeds, hence the stigma around pit bulls, rotweilers, dobermans etc. Has very little to do with genetics imo.

When I go to a humane society web site and look at the available dogs, almost all of them look like they are some sort of pit bull.  This tells me that people are getting them, realizing they are too hard to handle, then getting rid of them.  

• Like (+1) 1