Molly Ivans Would Be Smiling About A Democratic Texas

The Electoral College would very heavily favor the Democratic party. Without a single other state Trump won in 2016, the Democratic candidate will have 270 EC votes. 

38 EC votes. Two polls right now have the race a dead heat there with Trump and Biden. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/tx/texas_trump_vs_biden-6818.html

Obama lost Texas by 16 points in 2012. Hillary lost by 9 in 2016. Beto lost by 2% in 2018 and the Demographics of the state are changing very fast. 

Even better, the Democrats are getting out the vote (increasing the number of their voters) faster than the population of Democratic leaning voters. Arizona, New Mexico and yes, California have all followed a similar pattern. California and Texas actually have about the same Hispanic population percentage. So just turning out the vote right now would do it, but the demographic shifts are making all this happen faster. 

But the blue shift isn’t coming just from the growing minority population. Younger white voters are significantly more likely to identify as Democrats than their older counterparts.

Consider the chart below, which is based on our recent research. It presents the percentage of Texans of color (on the left) and whites (on the right) who said they identified with the Democratic Party in 2009, 2013 and 2017. We include independent-leaning Democrats in this analysis. These figures come from analysis of Texas Politics Project Polls, with large samples that allow us to differentiate between age groups within the two categories.

ORACWG5HB46EFFVCR7SPFA4X6I.png
Figure: Juan Carlos Huerta

As you can see, among people of color, both older and younger Texans have been solidly Democratic. For instance, in 2017, 68 percent of voters born before 1979 (i.e., 40 or older) and those born since 1979 identified with or leaned toward the Democrats. Although that represents a slight uptick among older voters since 2009, their numbers have generally been consistent over this period. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/12/18/are-texass-demographics-finally-turning-the-state-blue-we-looked-at-the-electorate-to-find-out/?utm_term=.16e4f8594d76

Edited by Tiberius
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The population influx has shown few signs of abating in recent years.
Denton and Collin counties each added around 27,000 residents last year — averaging 75 new residents a day, each. Tarrant County added about 90 people a day; Houston’s Harris County added almost 100 new people every 24 hours.
The pace of growth is so fast that some mayors and county officials in suburban cities worry they will not be able to build sewer, school and power infrastructure fast enough.
“Everyone talks about the sleeping giant here in Texas, the Latino vote is going to rise up one day. The other giant that they don’t talk about is Texas is the fastest growing state in the country,” said Ed Espinoza, executive director of the liberal group Progress Texas. “These new voters are voting for Democrats over Republicans by a ratio of 5 to 1.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/434161-orourke-renews-dem-hopes-about-turning-texas-blue

1 minute ago, bdutton said:

No wonder Democrats don't want a wall.

Why? That won't stop anything. The wall is stupid and useless

38 minutes ago, row_33 said:

most amusing scenario is Donald takes the popular and loses the EC, but the Dem states pledging to vote EC for the popular winner give him the second term

They will renege.

Edited by Gary M

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

The Electoral College would very heavily favor the Democratic party. Without a single other state Trump won in 2016, the Democratic candidate will have 270 EC votes. 

38 EC votes. Two polls right now have the race a dead heat there with Trump and Biden. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/tx/texas_trump_vs_biden-6818.html

Obama lost Texas by 16 points in 2012. Hillary lost by 9 in 2016. Beto lost by 2% in 2018 and the Demographics of the state are changing very fast. 

Even better, the Democrats are getting out the vote (increasing the number of their voters) faster than the population of Democratic leaning voters. Arizona, New Mexico and yes, California have all followed a similar pattern. California and Texas actually have about the same Hispanic population percentage. So just turning out the vote right now would do it, but the demographic shifts are making all this happen faster. 

Please fix your title.

There has been a move from the left to turn Texas blue for a long time.  This comes from the addition of latino's, people relocating to Texas from blue-er states like CA and younger voters. 

As for any polls, too soon and Trump has shown to under-poll just about everywhere.  Pollsters and media know it but they love to push that thinking. 

Edited by keepthefaith

8 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

There has been a move from the left to turn Texas blue for a long time.  This comes from the addition of latino's, people relocating to Texas from blue-er states like CA and younger voters. 

As for any polls, too soon and Trump has shown to under-poll just about everywhere.  Pollsters and media know it but they love to push that thinking. 

It might not happen in 2020. It's looking closer than in awhile. But it does look like the process is well under way. So even if not this election, perhaps the next or the one after. 

But when and if it does happen--all things being equal--the EC becomes a huge bonus for Dems. So all this complaining about the EC is misplaced. Yes its unfair, but what comes around, go around.  

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Isn't Texas pretty much already democratic?  

Well, it's a democratic state for voting purposes but not controlled by the democrats. Too many people think that the democrat party is the democratic party, which is wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Isn't Texas pretty much already democratic?  

Since it joined the United States.  As far as if it's turning blue, I doubt it if Beto couldn't beat one of the least charismatic politicians ever in a blue wave midterm election.

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

not for POTUS since 1968

Hasn't every POTUS since Texas became part of the United States in 1845 been Democratic. 

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Well, it's a democratic state for voting purposes but not controlled by the democrats. Too many people think that the democrat party is the democratic party, which is wrong.

That is the point I'm making you knucklehead. 

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Hasn't every POTUS since Texas became part of the United States in 1845 been Democratic. 

That is the point I'm making you knucklehead. 

Then make it.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Yeah but they can't vote...

Of course they can't vote...……………………………………….legally. They're playing the long game and figure they might gain citizenship or at the very least their progeny will.

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Sorry I was being too deep for you to get my point.  I'll tone it down a bit for you next time. 

sadly he sometimes has to go on ignore

usually good points, but not enough extra powerful oopmh to make it worth the unpacking.

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Sorry I was being too deep for you to get my point.  I'll tone it down a bit for you next time. 

I made the point first when I told HAHA Gator to correct the title of his thread. Did you not understand?

12 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Geez.   Pulling from the incredibly well thought out BigMcD come back repertoire I see.  

he's having one of those days, again.... :(