How The Anderson Signing

Imho of course.

Throughout this decade and the nineties, the Bills have shown to be a bit more prone to drafting by position than best player available with their top pick. If Alaska Darin reads this he is sure to disagree. Again, this is just my opinion.

With a pair of solid guards, some depth, a RT who cannot go anywhere due to his contract, and a versatile player in Teague, I think that the odds of TD selecting an offensive lineman with the first pick are slim; Shelton or not.

This is not to try to convince anybody that the Bills OL will be exceptionally good. I just think that CB will be the way TD will go with the first pick.

To me, it is quite simple. Of our 2 starting corners, one is a ufa in a year, and they both return kicks, further exposing themselves to injury. The Bills are just too thin at CB, and I am strongly thinking that this will be addressed as soon as we pick.

What COULD change this would be if T. Law was to come to Buffalo for a small, but incentive laden contract, a possibility which I do not dismiss.

We shall see.

I concur, CB is not a spot that you can just plug a body in to occupy space. Yes TV gives us some depth, but at the expense of our safety position. An earlier post here at tsw showed how few starting CBs aren't 1st or 2nd round draft picks. We've got a 4th (McGee) who even though I think was a steal, is still a little raw & unproven, being backed up by 6th rounder in Thomas and an undrafted free-agent in Greer. Our safety depth also has UFA(Baker) in the primary backup spot.

Do not misunderstand me, I think that all of those lower draft choices have well overplayed their draft position. I think they make decent depth, but decent starters...?

With a reasonable likelyhood of losing Nate, and our replacement starters in the secondary being suspect. I honestly will be suprised if we don't draft a cb in round 2.

I think a CB will be picked on Day One, but not in Round Two. We still need work on the O-Line, so we take the best available Tackle or Center prospect available to us, then in the 3rd we take a CB.

I think the Bills can land Antonio Perkins in the 3rd round, who has some serious talent. Would also give our special teams an even greater weapon.

I think a CB will be picked on Day One, but not in Round Two.  We still need work on the O-Line, so we take the best available Tackle or Center prospect available to us, then in the 3rd we take a CB.

I think the Bills can land Antonio Perkins in the 3rd round, who has some serious talent.  Would also give our special teams an even greater weapon.

293765[/snapback]

I agree. I think the chances are better that the Bills take a DE or DT than a CB on day 1.

I think we'll draft the best player available, ALMOST regardless of position.

Get your good self a Value Board, because TD's got one, and his may look a little different, but for the most part, it'll come down to who's there at #44 (or 55).

Late 1st's or Early 2nd's that might be there include:

Ben Wilkerson OC --Allows us even more flexibility on the OL.

C J Brooks OG -- A little less likely now that we have Bennie.

David Baas OC/OG--I'd still like to see this one happen.

Dan Cody DE--We have 3 on the roster.

Anttaj Hawthorne DT--Shaun Cody early pick might send Anttaj down to 44.

Rian Wallace OLB--Could supplant Posey or allow us flexibility at LB.

Davis-Pool-Butler FS--Confusion in the order of picks might let one drop.

Shazor-Nicholson SS--I like Rashad Baker, but either of these make it a dogfight.

Webster-Miller-Rogers CB--One of these can still be there in most mocks.

Honestly, if one of these is on the board, I'm tempted to take that pick, even if it isn't CB.

I actually am looking at this in a different way.....

I have to weight talent along with where we pick and mix that in with current talent on roster....

I actually think that TD WILL pay Clements to stay because the money invested in him is worth the value of his play....not only is he a fast big physical corner but he also does ST work......we get a lot of value out of Nate Clements......

Now mix in the fact that Terrance Magee.....while a great return guy is simply not the talent that Nate Clements is on the other side.....he has speed...he makes plays but he is not big and physical.....and that is not going to change.....if the bills let Nate go they are stuck with a draft pick who may or may not work out and Magee

Then factor in that we are talking about a 2nd round pick.....who in the 2nd round are we going to get that is anywhere near Nates ability? On the other hand it has been widely speculated that the OL depth.....particulary at guard and center is very good in this draft.....

Now I finally add in the last ingredient....quality offensive linemen are just plain fricken expensive.....so expensive that we let Jonas Jennings go......

I also think that TD has a master plan of getting offensive linemen young....(aka the draft) so that he can hang onto them for a stretch of time at a reasonable price.......

I think he will pay for good (possibly great) young corner talent and will draft linemen.....

I think Buffalo goes linebacker with the first pick.

They need YOUNG depth behind Posey and Fletcher who's career's in Buffalo are likely coming to an end after this season or next. Keep in mind that unless Buffalo moves up in the 2nd round ala Arizona's spot, this pick is positioned to be a talent pick more so than a positional pick. Crowell is purpordedly a very talented tackling machine much in the mold of a Sam Cowart. Beyond that there isnt the young depth there that you see at other positions on the roster. Also, a solid athlete at that position would be able to contribute on special teams immediately.

Dont be surprised to see Donahoe pick an LB with our first pick.

Imho of course.

Throughout this decade and the nineties, the Bills have shown to be a bit more prone to drafting by position than best player available with their top pick. If Alaska Darin reads this he is sure to disagree. Again, this is just my opinion.

With a pair of solid guards, some depth, a RT who cannot go anywhere due to his contract, and a versatile player in Teague, I think that the odds of TD selecting an offensive lineman with the first pick are slim; Shelton or not.

This is not to try to convince anybody that the Bills OL will be exceptionally good. I just think that CB will be the way TD will go with the first pick.

To me, it is quite simple. Of our 2 starting corners, one is a ufa in a year, and they both return kicks, further exposing themselves to injury. The Bills are just too thin at CB, and I am strongly thinking that this will be addressed as soon as we pick.

What COULD change this would be if T. Law was to come to Buffalo for a small, but incentive laden contract, a possibility which I do not dismiss.

We shall see.

293742[/snapback]

That may be true of TD's overall drafting record but that doesn't apply to JP or Willis!

BTW, I think we're thinner at safety on defense overall. One injury there and we're screwed.

I'm still hoping that we use the second round pick to draft a center. If we trade Henry for Shelton, that should take care of the offensive line. We could then use the third round pick on a position of need--CB, DL, TE, whatever.

I predict this

1) If a position has a run on it. TD will pick from the positions where a stud has fallen because of the run on a certain position.

Was Willis McGahee a pick of need or best player available ?

293876[/snapback]

You echo my thoughts. As usual, I think TD will spring a surprise pick on all of us. The vast majority will be left gaping and the logic will be apparent in a few months time .... I thus cannot make any predictions but kind of think that a deal with some team (not Cards) is already done.

I predict this

1) If a position has a run on it. TD will pick from the positions where a stud has fallen because of the run on a certain position.

Was Willis McGahee a pick of need or best player available ?

293876[/snapback]

Point well taken. I still believe Shelton will come free after he is cut or Green will swap 2nd rounders and if free we are free to offload TH for a 1st day pick. As for need I think MLB, safety- both Millioy and Vincent are aging-, and CB.

I will bet anyone anything that I know exactly what TD is going to do. Any takers?

He is going to do what he always does, with every draft and every pick. He's going to have a board of all his choices in order that have not been drafted yet, regardless of position. He is going to look at the first 4-5 names (and maybe more) that are still available on that list. He is then going to determine if the guy at the top of the list is a guy they love and there is no question they were hoping he was still there, OR, if the 4-5 guys at the top of that list are all relatively equal meaning liked by some coaches more than other as it is not a strict science.

He is then going to look at the positions of those 4-5 guys from top to bottom and which of the guys are positions of need. If the top 1-2 are positiions of need, CB or OL perhaps, they may put that player over the top. If the players 3-5 are positions of need, the war room will argue the merits of all and decide if say player 3 would be a better pick than player 1 because it is more of a need position.

He will think of the cap and how much money he may have to pay the player (if this is round one or perhaps two) and decide if that player warrants the amount of money (at this juncture, a couple years ago, he decided on McGahee because no one else on his list he felt deserved first round money regardless of position)

Meanwhile, he and/or his staff will be talking with other teams that the Bills have contacted about trades and moving down to get more picks, and teams that call them asking for their spot, and then determining if the 5 guys they are discussing are a better option or worse than what may be available later and what else we could expect to get with the extra choice.

He will then say he is leaning toward one or two of those many options and ask what Modrak and MM and Guy and the position coaches suggest. They will have their say and then at the last second TD will make the choice, not based on position but on all above factors combined.

Hey boys, Let's not forget about the DL either. What if a top DL man falls to us in the 2nd round?

Pull the trigger or not? :angry:

293767[/snapback]

No way... We have 3 2nd round DE's, a pro bowler in sam adams, and a 3rd and 4th rd DT

I will bet anyone anything that I know exactly what TD is going to do. Any takers?

He is going to do what he always does, with every draft and every pick. He's going to have a board of all his choices in order that have not been drafted yet, regardless of position. He is going to look at the first 4-5 names (and maybe more) that are still available on that list. He is then going to determine if the guy at the top of the list is a guy they love and there is no question they were hoping he was still there, OR, if the 4-5 guys at the top of that list are all relatively equal meaning liked by some coaches more than other as it is not a strict science.

He is then going to look at the positions of those 4-5 guys from top to bottom and which of the guys are positions of need. If the top 1-2 are positiions of need, CB or OL perhaps, they may put that player over the top. If the players 3-5 are positions of need, the war room will argue the merits of all and decide if say player 3 would be a better pick than player 1 because it is more of a need position.

He will think of the cap and how much money he may have to pay the player (if this is round one or perhaps two) and decide if that player warrants the amount of money (at this juncture, a couple years ago, he decided on McGahee because no one else on his list he felt deserved first round money regardless of position)

Meanwhile, he and/or his staff will be talking with other teams that the Bills have contacted about trades and moving down to get more picks, and teams that call them asking for their spot, and then determining if the 5 guys they are discussing are a better option or worse than what may be available later and what else we could expect to get with the extra choice.

He will then say he is leaning toward one or two of those many options and ask what Modrak and MM and Guy and the position coaches suggest. They will have their say and then at the last second TD will make the choice, not based on position but on all above factors combined.

294062[/snapback]

how do you know????

I dont think we need shelton now that we have Bennie. Tucker at C and Teague at LT. I believe we go CB in Rd 2.

New issue - if we dont trade TH for shelton, what do we do with travis? Maybe that is how we can pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder and get both CB and O line help.

That may be true of TD's overall drafting record but that doesn't apply to JP or Willis!

BTW, I think we're thinner at safety on defense overall.   One injury there and we're screwed.

293845[/snapback]

Actually, I was looking at the Bills overall more than just TD. Wrt Willis, that is a good point. I would think that he was more of a "best player available" pick, with an element of "need" as well.

Need Picks:

!. Moulds (Kelly was screaming for another receiver)

2. M. Williams (Fina and Ostroski were cut and the OL was shot)

3. Flowers (Bruce retired)

4. Winfield (Losses at cb due to free agency and injury)

5. Evans (Moulds aging, and no other good receiver on roster)

Some players do fall into both categories. For example, when TD drafted Clements, we did need a corner, but that was far from the only need. Same with Burress. Levy had a thing for the CB position, and LOVED to draft them.

My best example of a bpa pick is actually Sam Cowart. We were stocked with lbs. Our OL was awful at best, and we needed a TE. Oddly enough, there were huge injuries at lb, and Cowart turned out to be an ideal fit and a simply wonderful selection.

I am not making a case on what TD "should" do. Obviously, he is the expert; he is the pro, not I. My initial post was all about my opinion, and what I think will happen on draft day.

The Bills, as a franchise, love to draft corners with the first pick. H. Jones (drafted as a cb), T. Smith, Burress, Winfield and Clements are examples. Note that 3 of the last 4 played out their options and got the big bucks from another team and that Clements has 1 year left to be a ufa.

This is why I think that in all probability, Clements will be gone and the Bills will draft a corner first.

The above in no way makes me correct. Again, jmo and speculation. I have no "exact" knowledge of what will occur and am just having fun. :angry:

Actually, I was looking at the Bills overall more than just TD. Wrt Willis, that is a good point. I would think that he was more of a "best player available" pick, with an element of "need" as well.

Need Picks:

!. Moulds (Kelly was screaming for another receiver)

2. M. Williams (Fina and Ostroski were cut and the OL was shot)

3. Flowers (Bruce retired)

4. Winfield (Losses at cb due to free agency and injury)

5. Evans (Moulds aging, and no other good receiver on roster)

Some players do fall into both categories. For example, when TD drafted Clements, we did need a corner, but that was far from the only need. Same with Burress. Levy had a thing for the CB position, and LOVED to draft them.

My best example of a bpa pick is actually Sam Cowart. We were stocked with lbs. Our OL was awful at best, and we needed a TE. Oddly enough, there were huge injuries at lb, and Cowart turned out to be an ideal fit and a simply wonderful selection.

I am not making a case on what TD "should" do. Obviously, he is the expert; he is the pro, not I. My initial post was all about my opinion, and what I think will happen on draft day.

The Bills, as a franchise, love to draft corners with the first pick. H. Jones (drafted as a cb), T. Smith, Burress, Winfield and Clements are examples.  Note that 3 of the last 4 played out their options and got the big bucks from another team and that Clements has 1 year left to be a ufa.

This is why I think that in all probability, Clements will be gone and the Bills will draft a corner first.

The above in no way makes me correct. Again, jmo and speculation. I have no "exact" knowledge of what will occur and am just having fun.  :angry:

294182[/snapback]

IMO, I really don't think you can look at an organization like the Bills as a whole and say they do things like draft cornerbacks as if it were something they do as a policy rather than a simple and total coincidence. If Ralph was more like Jerry Jones or more hands on with the draft it would be different. I think TD handles the draft in precisely the way he wants to, and if the Bills had never drafted a CB #1 in their entire history he would have done the exact same thing with Clements and all his other picks he has made since coming here.

That is not to say that he won't draft a CB. In fact, that is a very likely choice if one he rates high is there at our pick, and another player he really wants is not rated much above the CB at a different position. He knows Nate may leave, he knows Thomas and Greer are probably not ready to be starters if injuries were to occur.

Imho of course.

We shall see.

293742[/snapback]

No way a CB. The need for CB is not what it used to be. The new rules basically nullify a CB's use, and now with the new Roy Williams rule on the horzion a CB value dimishes. There is no doubt our pick is going to be an OL.

No way a CB. The need for CB is not what it used to be. The new rules basically nullify a CB's use, and now with the new Roy Williams rule on the horzion a CB value dimishes. There is no doubt our pick is going to be an OL.

294535[/snapback]

Point taken, but teams with poor corners will never go the distance. They never have.

New rules notwithstanding, there will always be a need for corners who can cover, make plays and pick off passes.

I would be the happiest poster here if TD selects a blocker with our first pick, but I make the case that imo, it is just not going to happen.