Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Logic

Matt Miller: 2020 draft set to have a "historic group" at WR, RB

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

 

Nothing to do with being "antsy" or even not fielding a SB competitor for 20 years.

 

It's about what's best for Allen.

 

The blueprint for elevating the level of young QB's has been to stock the roster with top level receivers and see what that QB has got without having to make excuses.

 

The thing the Bills organization can least afford is for Allen to have another awful passing season this year.

 

And talented or not breaking in a rookie WR1 in 2020 is not ideal for a team that probably HAS to be a contender or else........and little consolation if Allen is coming off a 54% completion % and more interceptions than TD's in 2019 again.  

 

At that point there will be a lot of questions about  "the process" and McBeane year 4 and Allen's career become reclamation projects.

 

Ultimately what you are talking about is slow building a roster...........the math on that doesn't work anymore.

 

Rookie contracts only run 4 years now before big $ decisions and/or free agency have to happen. 

 

Thus,  the roster balance that fans inherently crave is ultimately not sustainable...........you take care of what's most important.....at this stage of their QB development  maximum QB support is the blueprint.

 

You make due elsewhere.    

 

With a young QB there really isn't time to patiently stack talent like the late 80's Bills or even like Marv and Jauron who drafted players like Donte Whitner and Aaron Maybin knowing that they would have them for 6 years.

 

You gotta' prop up your young QB to find out if he's franchise or not.........in the process you get him to the point where he doesn't need "as much" talent around him by year 5 and when the roster dynamic starts changing dramatically.

 

If you slow play it and make excuses then before you know it you end up with a Ryan Tannehill situation where you may even be compelled to extend him and pass on other QB's in the draft while not knowing what he can do.

 

I understand the situation. However, you must have the opportunity to trade and it has to be the right player at the right cost. I would not trade our 1st round pick next year for cooper when there is a potentially great class of wide receivers/weapons coming out next year. That could be a player you pair with Allen for the next decade. Cooper will have already been on his 3rd team if we make a deal. That’s raising a lot of red flags. 

 

I understand the need to have more talent around Allen but it has to be the right player at the right cost. Antonio Brown was the right cost but the wrong player. AJ Green is a free agent next season. If we were to trade for a top guy, he could be the target. Bengals are a rebuilding team and we are loading up for a run. He could cost less because he is 30 and on the last year of his deal. Availability is a question mark but for a rebuilding bengals team, a draft pick may be more important to them. He’s a more appropriate target IMO but patience is necessary. There’s months before they play a game and teams haven’t been able to evaluate all of their new pieces yet. 

Edited by Buffalo30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

So basically you are saying they aren't getting fired because you like them.... despite them impressing you a mediocre 8-8 season and 3 mediocre to below average years since coming here wouldn't be impressive at all.

 

There's plenty of examples of recent teams being awful and then going far into the playoffs in the first or second year of their new regimes.... but some fans here would be ok with McBeane hovering around .500 for 3 straight years. 

 

I get it. Many Bills fans are used to absolutely awful football that even average football is considered impressive, but look around the league and get some perspective. It's not.👍🏻

And just about every instance of that happening was because the team already had an established franchise quarterback. Those teams didn’t have to do the hard work of clearing the dead cap and developing a new franchise quarterback. But sure, let’s just talk out of our ass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Hakeem Butler will be a star imo. Nothing against Singletary or Knox and I am hoping they both turn out to be awesome picks, but I think front offices were wrong to pass on Butler in the 3rd round. Also every big board I could find had him higher than both of those guys, I am sure there were boards like Buffalo's that didn't but I couldn't find them. 

   I am happy with the Bills draft and this is not a complaint but GMs are wrong a lot and the fact that they pass on players is not an indication or proof that they were right to do so. I understand the rosterability part, but the Bills don't have any 6'5" 230 lb 4.48 40 wrs who led the nation in 20+ yd receptions.

Hoping we get lucky, solid strategy.😂

I really liked Butler too. I think he becomes the best of the group drafted this year. I was bummed when they didn't take him.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I understand the situation. However, you must have the opportunity to trade and it has to be the right player at the right cost. I would not trade our 1st round pick next year for cooper when there is a potentially great class of wide receivers/weapons coming out next year. That could be a player you pair with Allen for the next decade. Cooper will have already been on his 3rd team if we make a deal. That’s raising a lot of red flags. 

 

I understand the need to have more talent around Allen but it has to be the right player at the right cost. Antonio Brown was the right cost but the wrong player. AJ Green is a free agent next season. If we were to trade for a top guy, he could be the target. Bengals are a rebuilding team and we are loading up for a run. He could cost less because he is 30 and on the last year of his deal. Availability is a question mark but for a rebuilding bengals team, a draft pick may be more important to them. He’s a more appropriate target IMO but patience is necessary. There’s months before they play a game and teams haven’t been able to evaluate all of their new pieces yet. 

 

Trades are tricky and not much information gets out unless it goes through or they are for a high profile player. Some may argue that "the trade opportunities were not there" but McBeane (sorry Kirby) have conveniently been able to trade when they have wanted to. Which leads me to believe that they just didnt like the top listed WRs this year. While I disagree with BADOL that our WRs are the bottom 1/3rd (time will tell), I do agree with him that we need to err on the side of too much talent on the receiving side. Like everyone, I am happy that at least there is lot of competition on the OL and Allen should have plenty of protection. But, the Bills should still be in the market for a WR and DE. Worst case, jump on the cuts which are coming in case a one-year rental is available at these positions. A player-for-player trade for one of these positions should also be on the table. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Warcodered said:

This thread got me to look up Jerry Jeudy....this kid is ridiculous.

 

 

 

 

Wow- more athletic than Sammy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mannc said:

Yeah, unfortunately, folks are already lowering the bar for this year, saying they would be OK with 8-8 or 9-7--in other words, the same as under Rex--and that McDermott is pretty much guaranteed another year unless they go 2-14.  

 

I could not disagree more.  I think this year they need to (1) make the playoffs, and (2) win at least one game vs. NE or their seats are going to be extremely warm.  I do think Beane is on a longer leash than McDermott.   

 

I'm confident McBeane have been given assurances by ownership that their tenure will last at least 4 years.  It's why they handled the cap in seasons 1 and 2 by shedding big contracts and taking the patient approach to rebuilding.     

 

They've identified their QB of the future, overhauled the roster, (save a few veterans) and spent big money on UFAs this off-season.  McD has 3 1st round picks and multiple UFAs to staff his defense.  He also has the same OC from 2018 to 2019.   

 

They need to show an ability to defeat good teams more regularly and beat up on the bad teams.  One would think after 3 off-seasons of rebuilding they'd be ready for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

 

Trades are tricky and not much information gets out unless it goes through or they are for a high profile player. Some may argue that "the trade opportunities were not there" but McBeane (sorry Kirby) have conveniently been able to trade when they have wanted to. Which leads me to believe that they just didnt like the top listed WRs this year. While I disagree with BADOL that our WRs are the bottom 1/3rd (time will tell), I do agree with him that we need to err on the side of too much talent on the receiving side. Like everyone, I am happy that at least there is lot of competition on the OL and Allen should have plenty of protection. But, the Bills should still be in the market for a WR and DE. Worst case, jump on the cuts which are coming in case a one-year rental is available at these positions. A player-for-player trade for one of these positions should also be on the table. 

I agree trades are tricky and trade opportunities are always available but it's more about the right player/cost for this team right now.  Cooper would have to come in and be fantastic to be worth trading next year's first for and then giving him the biggest wide receiver contract ever.  That's a lot of pressure on Cooper.  Could be the perfect fit and be the guy for Allen, could be a major set back to the team and its future. Are we sure we want to make a deal like that before we know what we have with the 5 new receivers we brought in (Brown, Beasley, Sills, Williams and Roberts)?  Foster is going into year two and Jones into year three.  Some people talk about them as if they've peaked already.  I'd rather see some action with the group we have first before pulling the trigger on a move like that.  

 

Clearly, all options are being explored.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Or we could show some patience and draft a guy next year and not have to spend $20 million. I get fans are antsy but it’s not the best option for sustained success IMO. Build through the draft. 

 

How is 20 mil this year and next for a #1 Wide receiver hurting the team in any way? Or what if we drafted one in the 3rd round (or trade up to late 2nd) instead of getting a 3rd/4th string RB. Then they could draft one next year as well since I don't see Brown/Beasley being very effective into their mid-30s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For once it seems like the timing of available talent is lining up with the Bills needs. How many years have we watched them take a QB in a weak class or a RB when other positions were strong or miss a franchise player by one pick or trade up when they should trade down etc.?

 

It's all on paper and means nothing but it feels like a positive direction.

Edited by Needle
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

 

Wow- more athletic than Sammy 

 

...plus the 'Bama Connection".......interesting...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laviska Shenault and Donovan Peoples-Jones are currently "household names"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Brown and Beasley were great pickups.   Much better than draft picks and rookies.  

I mean I really like the Beasley pick up and Brown is solid (completely overpaid) but they kinda are what they are at this point.  The upside on a draft pick can be an elite player at a low cost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 9:41 PM, TigerJ said:

Buffalo has to draft D'andre Swift next year.  It's too perfect.  The fastest running back in the draft is named "Swift."  It would be like drafting a receiver name "Catch"  or of an offensive guard named Dozer.

Or a defensive back named "Corner" or "Nickell"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice when your GM / Scouting department has fore sight to have probable team needs / upgrades line up with perceived draft strengths. All while keeping the cap in check to hold onto sed smart picks in the future.

 

Here's hoping it all comes together

 

 

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

Or a defensive back named "Corner" or "Nickell"?

 

"Dime" Bag Murphy. Never got drafted due to off field issues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 5:01 AM, BillsVet said:

On one hand, you're highlighting the signing of UDFAs and then talking about 5th or 6th rounders not likely having a substantial impact.

 

Foster may continue to improve. Zay could start producing when it matters and develop better chemistry with Allen.  Brown and Beasley may play like they did with previous teams in their respective roles. 

 

The question is whether or not McBeane were confident in their WR group coming out of the draft.  Apparently they are.  We're going to see if they were right, but history being what it is, McBeane haven't shown a propensity for evaluating let alone developing offensive skill position talent.  

 

Lot of "ifs" and "hopefullys." 

 

 

 

 

The problem is not so much that he has had problems evaluating or developing offensive skill position talent.

 

It's that they haven't had the cap situation and draft resources to allow them to spend almost any resources on the offense the last couple of years. For what they spent (mostly UDFAs and vet min deals and an occasional flier), the returns were actually pretty solid. For every injured Matthews and just not good enough Benjamin, there's been a UDFA Foster, a vet min McKenzie, a cheap Chris Ivory, a near-minimum Marcus Murphy ... They just haven't poured the resources there in the past. This year they committed themselves a bit more. We'll be better able to see how they hit, and worth noting that next year's draft is supposed to be tremendous for WRs.

 

We are indeed going to see if they are right going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
On 5/8/2019 at 11:28 AM, ScottLaw said:

So basically you are saying they aren't getting fired because you like them.... despite them impressing you a mediocre 8-8 season and 3 mediocre to below average years since coming here wouldn't be impressive at all.

 

There's plenty of examples of recent teams being awful and then going far into the playoffs in the first or second year of their new regimes.... but some fans here would be ok with McBeane hovering around .500 for 3 straight years. 

 

I get it. Many Bills fans are used to absolutely awful football that even average football is considered impressive, but look around the league and get some perspective. It's not.👍🏻

 

 

 

Um, no. He's saying that they aren't getting fired because the Pegulas like them. That's massively different from saying that a poster on a message board likes them, Scott.

 

And that the Pegulas knew that the first couple of years were not likely to be good.

 

And yeah, there are plenty of examples of teams being awful and then going far into the playoffs in the first or second year of their new regimes. Those instances happened in reload situations. Or sometimes it happens in situations where the "awful" year was the second or third year of a rebuild. Where it simply doesn't happen is in near-complete rebuilds like the one going on here. 

 

And it ain't about whether fans would be OK with 3 straight years of not being very good. It's understanding that rebuilds show massive improvement in the third year a very small amount of the time. I found it was around 20% of the time when I did a major research project a few years back on rebuilds and successful rebuilds in particular. Much more often it takes till the fourth or sometimes even the fifth year for successful rebuilds to hit the real fast track. No, fans wouldn't be thrilled. But the smarter ones would understand, through their exasperation. I absolutely expect some real improvement this year. But it's very possible that that improvement might result in maybe two or three or four more wins, and that would not look like a bad thing at all ... in the long run.

Edited by Thurman#1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

 

 

 

Um, no. He's saying that they aren't getting fired because the Pegulas like them. That's massively different from saying that a poster on a message board likes them, Scott.

 

And that the Pegulas knew that the first couple of years were not likely to be good.

 

And yeah, plenty of examples of teams being awful and then going far into the playoffs in the first or second year of their new regimes. Those instances happened in reload situations. Or sometimes it happens in situations where the "awful" year was the second or third year of a rebuild. Where it simply doesn't happen is in near-complete rebuilds like the one going on here. 

 

And it ain't about whether fans would be OK with 3 straight years of not being very good. It's understanding that rebuilds show massive improvement in the third year a very small amount of the time. I found it was around 20% of the time when I did a major research project a few years back on rebuilds and successful rebuilds in particular. Much more often it takes till the fourth or sometimes even the fifth year for successful rebuilds to hit the real fast track. No, fans wouldn't be thrilled. But the smarter ones would understand, through their exasperation. I absolutely expect some real improvement this year. But it's very possible that that improvement might result in maybe two or three or four more wins, and that would not look like a bad thing at all ... in the long run.

Four or five years? Seriously?

 

Tell me who the last franchise was with the same regime that won in their fourth year after three straight mediocre seasons?

 

You don't get 5 years in this league with 4 straight mediocre years. Just doesn't happen. 

 

Anything less than 9 wins is disappointing IMO. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

 

 

 

Um, no. He's saying that they aren't getting fired because the Pegulas like them. That's massively different from saying that a poster on a message board likes them, Scott.

 

And that the Pegulas knew that the first couple of years were not likely to be good.

 

And yeah, plenty of examples of teams being awful and then going far into the playoffs in the first or second year of their new regimes. Those instances happened in reload situations. Or sometimes it happens in situations where the "awful" year was the second or third year of a rebuild. Where it simply doesn't happen is in near-complete rebuilds like the one going on here. 

 

And it ain't about whether fans would be OK with 3 straight years of not being very good. It's understanding that rebuilds show massive improvement in the third year a very small amount of the time. I found it was around 20% of the time when I did a major research project a few years back on rebuilds and successful rebuilds in particular. Much more often it takes till the fourth or sometimes even the fifth year for successful rebuilds to hit the real fast track. No, fans wouldn't be thrilled. But the smarter ones would understand, through their exasperation. I absolutely expect some real improvement this year. But it's very possible that that improvement might result in maybe two or three or four more wins, and that would not look like a bad thing at all ... in the long run.

I'm not going to get into what the Pegulas "knew" about how the first couple years would play out or how much they like McBeane; that's nothing but speculation.

 

Here's the situation:  Through two years, McBeane has the same record as the Rex Ryan regime, and they have been utterly noncompetitive against NE.  They need to show significantly better results this year or people are going to seriously question whether they know what they are doing.  That probably means making the playoffs and winning a game against NE.  I can't predict whether a failure to achieve that would lead to one or both being fired, but, depending on how it all unfolds, it could very well land them in the hot seat.  

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mannc said:

I'm not going to get into what the Pegulas "knew" about how the first couple years would play out or how much they like McBeane; that's nothing but speculation.

 

Here's the situation:  Through two years, McBeane has the same record as the Rex Ryan regime, and they have been utterly noncompetitive against NE.  They need to show significantly better results this year or people are going to seriously question whether they know what they are doing.  That probably means making the playoffs and winning a game against NE.  I can't predict whether a failure to achieve that would lead to one or both being fired, but, depending on how it all unfolds, it could very well land them in the hot seat.  

100%

 

A win against the Patriots would be a start. McDermotts been absolutely dominated by BB to this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Four or five years? Seriously?

 

Tell me who the last franchise was with the same regime that won in their fourth year after three straight mediocre seasons?

 

You don't get 5 years in this league with 4 straight mediocre years. Just doesn't happen. 

 

Anything less than 9 wins is disappointing IMO. 

I can pretty much guarantee that in his interview, McDermott did not tell Pegula he was going to completely tear down the team that Rex coached to a .500 record and that the process would take 4-5 years.  

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...