Mods- Don't merge yet - everyone needs to see Sills video he put up on twitter

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

This seems to have evolved into a general discussion of Sills
I apologize to those whose discussion I'm pruning, but please continue in the general discussion of Sills thread:

And of course, the link to his twitter video is still there to be seen (whether or not you wish to or need to see it)

6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What’s this guys deal? All I see anywhere are people saying good things about him. Not even just Bills fans. He put up good numbers too. Why didn’t he get drafted? What is he slow or something?

He bet $5,000 on the Vikes to cover against the Bills and people found out about it.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What’s this guys deal? All I see anywhere are people saying good things about him. Not even just Bills fans. He put up good numbers too. Why didn’t he get drafted? What is he slow or something?

This years Da'Rick, This years "My guy"

9 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

I get why people say this, but Sills was a legit stud in college.   I’m under no illusion that he has anything more than a 20-25% chance at making this roster, but how he wasn’t drafted is.....perplexing. 

17 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Not even close to that.

38 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

32 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He’s got guys like Dez Bryant hyping him and was projected as a Mid-Round Pick. 

I dont get it either. 

Sills has 2 years of WR experience and put up 33 TDs during that span. Scouts are concerned about his frame at the next level, as well as his lack of experience. He doesn't have top end speed, but he is very crafty as a WR and has a knack for getting open in the sense he positions his body at a high end level. He's got a Stevie Johnson/Chris Hogan quality to him, though I'd argue better athleticism and hands than both. I think he makes the 53 man roster and makes a nice redzone impact out of the gate. He doesn't have strength to block or beat press in the NFL right now.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I get why people say this, but Sills was a legit stud in college.   I’m under no illusion that he has anything more than a 20-25% chance at making this roster, but how he wasn’t drafted is.....perplexing. 

It's because he doesn't separate. Even on those highlights on that video. Lot of contested catches and the defender is right there. They are harder to come down with against NFL DBs. I keep saying this and people keep ignoring me but separation and catching the ball are the two things NFL scouts value above all. He has to find a way to get more separation and for me it is all about being more precise route runner. He isn't a burner but he is fast enough - if he can be more precise running routes he will get that separation more consistently and make it in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 5

57 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

51 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He’s got guys like Dez Bryant hyping him and was projected as a Mid-Round Pick. 

I dont get it either. 

Honestly it’s a three part equation IMHO

1.  This was a very deep WR class once you hit 2nd round and on, one of the deepest in years.  He was not the only mid round guy to go undrafted.  

2.  He’s only played WR 3 years, so teams may have decided to go with other guys who just have more experience and may need less coaching on fundamentals in their opinion.  

3.  Once you get into later rounds teams are starting to look for depth at other positions, ST guys, etc too.  So something as simple as more ST potential can make one go before another.

I mean once you got passed Marquise, Harry, AJ, Deebo and DK, the rest started to group very very closely.  Even Butler who was thought of as an early 2nd fell far like DK. 

Just comes down to fit, what traits they want, development time, etc.  Not uncommon for good players to get over looked, there are lots of guys projected mid rounds who go undrafted.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's because he doesn't separate. Even on those highlights on that video. Lot of contested catches and the defender is right there. They are harder to come down with against NFL DBs. I keep saying this and people keep ignoring me but separation and catching the ball are the two things NFL scouts value above all. He has to find a way to get more separation and for me it is all about being more precise route runner. He isn't a burner but he is fast enough - if he can be more precise running routes he will get that separation more consistently and make it in the NFL. 

And he got a lot of free releases in college. He will not get that nearly as much in the pros. 

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

We need to get some views and have this stand out for a bit - Fan favorite right here

This was awesome!  

If anyone watched E:60 piece on him, then you will also know he had lots of offers but he CHOSE Buffalo.  

Maybe we can finally put to rest all the nonsense players don’t want to be here when we landed a bunch in FA who had other offers and our draft picks were so excited about being here too like Ed, Sills, Devin, etc.

Edited by Alphadawg7

5 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

And he got a lot of free releases in college. He will not get that nearly as much in the pros. 

It’s easy to point out the things he and all rookies will face as challenges transitioning to the NFL.  It’s another thing to overlook just how high level this kid was with zero coaching and experience playing WR up to that point and at a pretty good size school.

You show me a kid who emerges as one of the best in the nation in college with zero experience playing that position, and I will show you a kid I want on my team to try and develop further every time.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Then watch more highlights or something, showed plenty of separation and route running on film.  

I agree with you fully on the importance of separation of course, but I just don’t agree with he struggles doing it in college.  Now how he projects in scouts minds is a different scenario, but just saying he was a very good route runner at West Virginia and his reel is full of all kinds of play where he torched DBs with his feet, cuts, and routes.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

It’s easy to point out the things he and all rookies will face as challenges transitioning the NFL.  It’s another thing to overlook just how high level this kid was with zero coaching and experience playing WR up to that point and at a pretty good size school.

You show me a kid who emerges as one of the best in the nation in college with zero experience playing that position, and I will show you a kid I want on my team to try and develop further every time.  

Whoa, relax. I get it, you really like the kid and have said as much. It's also ok to be critical and realistic of his chances of making an NFL team. He has an uphill battle and if you don't think that you are fooling yourself. There's no need to defend every post that points his short comings or things he needs to work on. It's a discussion.

No one's rooting for this kid to fail.

Deep breath.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Whoa, relax. I get it, you really like the kid and have said as much. It's also ok to be critical and realistic of his chances of making an NFL team. He has an uphill battle and if you don't think that you are fooling yourself. There's no need to defend every post that points his short comings or things he needs to work on. It's a discussion.

No one's rooting for this kid to fail.

Deep breath.

Ha I am calm, all good...and my reply to you wasn’t meant to be hostile or worked up in any way.

I was only highlighting what makes him specifically intriguing and exciting as a prospect compared to any other UDFA.

I have no idea if he makes this roster or not.  But this kid has just got something else to him you can’t coach, and that’s exciting.

• Like (+1) 2