Hard to imagine Derek Anderson making the roster

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

Actually, it’s a terrible fit for Tyree.  Unless he absolutely kills it in camp, he won’t make the cut.  And if he sees preseason action and looks any good, he most certainly won’t clear waivers. 

He should have stayed at UB for his senior year, or tried to transfer to a bigger program.

BTW, when you’re a college junior, moving expenses are mainly gas money.

Being on the practice squad of a team with a starting QB who is somewhat similar to you is a good situation. He was never going to be someones starter or backup this year. 

33 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I don't know what's going to happen with Derek Anderson.  Clearly, he has more value as a mentor to Josh Allen and possibly Tyree Jackson than as a player, but the Bills already have a QB coach.  If the Bills wanted to make DA a coach, they had an opportunity back in January.  He could have some value as a third string emergency QB.  Tyree Jackson is not ready for that role IMO.  It would be somewhat out of the box thinking, but I suppose he could retire and they could keep him on as an assistant QB coach or something to help mentor the youngsters, then if in the unfortunate circumstance where both Allen and Barkley were injured and out for an extended period, (multiple games) Anderson could unretire again.  

Hey TigerJ

I just don't know if it would work to have Anderson turn into a coach, a lot of the things that he is teaching Allen comes from watching Anderson be a QB.  How Anderson handles the huddle, how he prepares for a practice and for a game.  How he interacts with the other players on offense. 

We have all likely had a mentor at work at some point who was not your boss, but another guy working next to you who has been there a while and is great at the job.  It's easier to turn to them and ask a question than it is to walk up to your boss and ask them the same question.

Allen's development is key.  I think Anderson has a lot to contribute to that process and is worth a roster spot.  I think that after this year, with Allen going into his 3rd season, that it would be ok to take off the training wheels and moving Anderson to an assistant QB coach if he is interested would be reasonable.  Right now though, Josh Allen has not arrived, they still need to do everything they can to help him along and having an experienced QB  who is friends with Josh, who Josh feels comfortable with, who has years of NFL experience, and most importantly, sees his job as not competing with Allen to get on the field but helping Josh become a better QB, is simply invaluable. 

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Hey TigerJ

I just don't know if it would work to have Anderson turn into a coach, a lot of the things that he is teaching Allen comes from watching Anderson be a QB.  How Anderson handles the huddle, how he prepares for a practice and for a game.  How he interacts with the other players on offense. 

We have all likely had a mentor at work at some point who was not your boss, but another guy working next to you who has been there a while and is great at the job.  It's easier to turn to them and ask a question than it is to walk up to your boss and ask them the same question.

Allen's development is key.  I think Anderson has a lot to contribute to that process and is worth a roster spot.  I think that after this year, with Allen going into his 3rd season, that it would be ok to take off the training wheels and moving Anderson to an assistant QB coach if he is interested would be reasonable.  Right now though, Josh Allen has not arrived, they still need to do everything they can to help him along and having an experienced QB  who is friends with Josh, who Josh feels comfortable with, who has years of NFL experience, and most importantly, sees his job as not competing with Allen to get on the field but helping Josh become a better QB, is simply invaluable. 

I don't see Anderson making the roster, he cannot really teach Allen much more unless it is how to suck at playing which this team doesn't need. 

16 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

I don't see Anderson making the roster, he cannot really teach Allen much more unless it is how to suck at playing which this team doesn't need. 

Anderson is not teaching Allen how to throw the ball, he's teaching him the intangibles of being an professional NFL QB.  The behind the scenes skills that a rookie QB needs to learn that will help him be successful at the pro level.  Anderson is trying to lessen that learning curve for Allen, and according to everyone in the organization, Anderson has been very successful in doing just that. 

That is Anderson's value to the organization.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think Anderson is good with film study. He's also been a ready source of insight when Allen has needed to talk with someone.  I know he gained from Anderson's command of the huddle.  It's hard to know how much of that can translate to being a coach., that the youngsters can't get from Ken Dorsey or Matt Barkley.  I think you'd have to be part of the organization to get a feel for that.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the bills coaches fully intend to keep him and Barkley. Barkley as the legit backup and Anderson as the mentor/emergency qb. Signing the qb from ub I think was more or less a nice gesture by the Pegulas to give him a fighting chance at an NFL career. Hell probably get decent time playing in the pre season and have a chance to get picked up somewhere 

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the point of the rather civil discussion you refer to as a "pissing match" is that there are some significant differences.  See above.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh just see above. Thanks for quoting my post, just to tell me to see above.

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think he can do what you described, I have seen a lot of coaches throw passes. That is different than "taking reps." I'm not sure if there is an actual rule against that but I have not seen it. 

IMO Anderson is a better fit mentoring Tyree Jackson than he was for Allen.

Allen is a much more coordinated athlete with better arm talent(power and potential for touch) than either of those other two and he's rightfully in the position of having to prove "he can't do it" rather than grind his way to a starting job.

About the only thing Allen and Anderson share in common is a love of golf.

Tyree is probably going to have to learn how to golf if he doesn't.......but on the football side Derek Anderson was similarly doubted by the NFL and can relate to some of the gangly awkwardness that Jackson is going to have to figure out how to overcome.  

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Anderson is not teaching Allen how to throw the ball, he's teaching him the intangibles of being an professional NFL QB.  The behind the scenes skills that a rookie QB needs to learn that will help him be successful at the pro level.  Anderson is trying to lessen that learning curve for Allen, and according to everyone in the organization, Anderson has been very successful in doing just that. 

That is Anderson's value to the organization.  

He has done that already... Not worth a roster spot once you cut to 53.

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Hey TigerJ

I agree with all of this, but after last year and all camp this year, wouldn't that be enough? Anderson moves to coach at the start of the season. 

Just now, JimmyNoodles said:

I agree with all of this, but after last year and all camp this year, wouldn't that be enough? Anderson moves to coach at the start of the season. 

Good question JimmyNoodles,  honestly, I don't know.

Anderson had half a season with Josh last year.  He'll have training camp and preseason this year.  I guess it will depend on how Josh feels about it.  I think Josh will want Anderson to stick around one more year,  just my guess.  Josh lost Culley this off season so he will have a new QB coach coming in.  Anderson might be a bit of a security blanket for him, some continuity.  Josh doesn't even have a full season of games under his belt yet.  I would bet Anderson stays.

It's a great off season thread @Dan Darragh,  it's something to chew on and speculate about with so much time before they start playing meaningful games.  We'll all know the answer on Aug 31st, cut down day.

On 4/28/2019 at 9:07 AM, Bills2ref said:

Very raw player who is in the same mold as Allen. Huge arm (was yelled at for throwing too hard at the combine), good mobility, questionable accuracy and ball security. I’m very excited to have him on this team. I would roll with Allen/Barkley with Tyree on the practice squad. 

Having watched him on the field at UB many times, I can attest that he is a huge person.  But I am not convinced that his much-hyped arm is as huge as everyone thinks.

50 minutes ago, Blue on Blue said:

Having watched him on the field at UB many times, I can attest that he is a huge person.  But I am not convinced that his much-hyped arm is as huge as everyone thinks.

He did throw this ball about 60 yards on a rope on the run. His arm is huge.