Hard to imagine Derek Anderson making the roster

6 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Tyree will be on practice squad. Unless he's just lights out in preseason no team is going to add him to their active roster. 

I don’t see that happening.  I’m sure the Bills would love to hide him there, but I doubt he’d clear waivers.  And even if he does, it won’t be long before someone claims him, and  then the Bills will have to sign him to the active roster or lose him.

The only way he stays is if he has a phenomenal camp and beats out Anderson for the 3rd spot, or Anderson retires.

JMO

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Unless they find a better QB, Anderson is THE perfect #3 QB. Ready with minimum preparation, experienced to have the respect of the players, not making waves, THERE TO SUPPORT ALLEN, and only 1M salary. Why get rid of him this year, again, unless suddenly a better QB pops along? In a perfect scenario, Josh stays on the field for all reps but you need 3 QBs on the roster. An experienced coach/mentor one is perfect for a 2nd year budding superstar.

I suppose the debate is do you  protect him or do you protect a guy like sills, the latter picked tight end, the new safety, maybe carry an extra cb or olineman. Especially with salary fully guaranteed if he makes week 1s roster

plenty of teams carry 2 and keep extras on speed dial. If Barkley is #2 I think we’d be safe telling him to stay in shape and ready for a call that we would make worth his while.

47 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I don’t see that happening.  I’m sure the Bills would love to hide him there, but I doubt he’d clear waivers.  And even if he does, it won’t be long before someone claims him, and  then the Bills will have to sign him to the active roster or lose him.

The only way he stays is if he has a phenomenal camp and beats out Anderson for the 3rd spot, or Anderson retires.

JMO

No one drafted him, why would they want him in a few months?

Last season I kept reading on TSW how he was the answer to beat the Pats, gonna dominate them!!!

the Bill Simmons podcast carrying on with derisive laughter over the Bills doing this let me know I wasn’t the crazy one

10 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

No one drafted him, why would they want him in a few months?

That’s a valid argument, especially if Buffalo was his only option.

A few years back, Green Bay hid Graham Harrell on the practice squad - Buffalo tried to sign him and Green Bay had to match our offer and sign him to their active roster.

Love to have TJ here, either as 3rd QB or practice squad.  We’ll see what happens.

Edited by The Senator

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

JMO

guy was just undrafted and we are fearful of him clearing waivers? If someone claims him and puts him on their 53 man roster good for him. 

QBs are overdrafted. If anyone really wanted the project they would have thrown a 7th at it. 

Its a good fit for Tyree, he can save the expense and hassle of moving, and hopefully get the coaching and practice squad experience he needs. 

Edited by PirateHookerMD

17 minutes ago, The Senator said:

That’s a valid argument, especially if Buffalo was his only option.

A few years back, Green Bay hid Graham Harrell on the practice squad - Buffalo tried to sign him and Green Bay had to match our offer and sign him to their active roster.

Love to have TJ here, either as 3rd QB or practice squad.  We’ll see what happens.

Its a fluid situation but right now I would believe the Bills view him as a PS player.

Last year it was easy to keep 3 QBs because some parts of the roster stunk (Oline and WR). This year is a lot different. We likely have real talent available for that extra spot. I can see the Bills keeping 7 WRs, as an example, and that extra WR comes from dumping the 3rd QB.

36 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

Last year it was easy to keep 3 QBs because some parts of the roster stunk (Oline and WR). This year is a lot different. We likely have real talent available for that extra spot. I can see the Bills keeping 7 WRs, as an example, and that extra WR comes from dumping the 3rd QB.

Earlier in the year I would of said no way Anderson is not on the team all year.

Now I can see that may change if really desirable players may get cut/traded.

The thing is any decision on this is over 4 months away and we just got to let it play out for now.

58 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

guy was just undrafted and we are fearful of him clearing waivers? If someone claims him and puts him on their 53 man roster good for him. 

QBs are overdrafted. If anyone really wanted the project they would have thrown a 7th at it. 

Its a good fit for Tyree, he can save the expense and hassle of moving, and hopefully get the coaching and practice squad experience he needs. 

Actually, it’s a terrible fit for Tyree.  Unless he absolutely kills it in camp, he won’t make the cut.  And if he sees preseason action and looks any good, he most certainly won’t clear waivers. 

He should have stayed at UB for his senior year, or tried to transfer to a bigger program.

BTW, when you’re a college junior, moving expenses are mainly gas money.

Many on this board last year were stating how the team was crazy to expect a 5th round draft pick to be in anyway productive as a QB.  In hindsight they were correct, now we want to keep an un-drafted  guy at the expense of Anderson?

Barring an amazing training camp from him, you cut him and assign him to practice squad, if another team else signs him, so be it, not a big loss.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Senator said:

JMO

Why didn't one of the team who would do this just draft him in the 7th or sign him as a udfa.

Teams didn't seem interested to put him on their 90 player roster, but they'll be knocking down the door to get him on their final 53, I don't follow.

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

There are rules against it.  There was a team which used to stash players on non-player lists and rule was created.  Not sure if it is enforced but expect a protest if Anderson goes on coaching / front office staff and back to QB.

I'd like to know more about this, any chance you could point me at 'em (the rules)

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'd like to know more about this, any chance you could point me at 'em (the rules)

Did not look at the rules.  Just remember an incident (90s or earlier) where a team was stashing players it could not be put on active roster.

I don't know what's going to happen with Derek Anderson.  Clearly, he has more value as a mentor to Josh Allen and possibly Tyree Jackson than as a player, but the Bills already have a QB coach.  If the Bills wanted to make DA a coach, they had an opportunity back in January.  He could have some value as a third string emergency QB.  Tyree Jackson is not ready for that role IMO.  It would be somewhat out of the box thinking, but I suppose he could retire and they could keep him on as an assistant QB coach or something to help mentor the youngsters, then if in the unfortunate circumstance where both Allen and Barkley were injured and out for an extended period, (multiple games) Anderson could unretire again.  

27 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Why didn't one of the team who would do this just draft him in the 7th or sign him as a udfa.

Teams didn't seem interested to put him on their 90 player roster, but they'll be knocking down the door to get him on their final 53, I don't follow.

Never said teams would be “knocking down the door”.  No one was knocking down the door for Graham Harrell ‘til the Bills had injury problems, became desperate for QB help, and tried to sign him off GB’s practice squad.

Things change, injuries happen.  Like I said, if he has a great camp and shines in the preseason, some teams will take a second look.

3 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Never said teams would be “knocking down the door”.  No one was knocking down the door for Graham Harrell ‘til the Bills had injury problems, became desperate for QB help, and tried to sign him off GB’s practice squad.

Things change, injuries happen.  Like I said, if he has a great camp and shines in the preseason, some teams will take a second look.

You did state that he wouldn't clear waivers, not that a team desperate because of injuries would sign him.