NFL Draft - Day 3 (put your general draft commentary here)

15 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

And 2 RB before the draft.  Now we draft another RB high who is supposed to be a good receiver. At least there is competition and a solid OL. That should make JA a bit better. 

Do we have a stud WR who can take over the game. No, but neither did NE and I think that's where Daboll's philosophy on O comes from. I would love to have the next Julio Jones, Antonio Brown or Odell Beckham on this roster, but those kind of guys also bring attitudes into the locker room. Hopefully we finally get it right and have a solid, competitive playoff team for the next decade. 

I hate to be a pessimist but I think all we have managed to do is upgrade from one of the worst wr/te groups in the league to a group that is at least more mediocre than putrid. Beasley is starting his 9th year and between them, Beasley and Brown have 13 seasons behind them with only one where they had more than 1,000 yards receiving and at least 7 TDs. Yes, Beasley and Brown are upgrades but only because we had nowhere to go but up. The second coming of Reed and Lofton they are not. We might not need a "stud WR who can take over the game" but we do need one capable of 70+ catches, 8+TDs and 1,000 yards receiving (something 20 different WR's managed to do last year). I like our picks, mostly, but the lack of a quality WR prospect is disappointing.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Why can't they just take a WR to compete with Foster, Jones, Beasley, Brown, Williams, and Roberts in the 7th.

because then we wouldn't get to watch people have a meltdown that they didn't draft a WR

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Why can't they just take a WR to compete with Foster, Jones, Beasley, Brown, Williams, and Roberts in the 7th.

Because it’s the 7th. Not the 6th. So huge drop in talent. There will be those that say something like that

14 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

I say Bills need an extra pass rusher.

Can we have one of yours? Please??

I’m just praying for a miracle by the time we get to the 7th, but our guys found talent all the way into UDFA last year....don’t count them out! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mickey said:

I hate to be a pessimist but I think all we have managed to do is upgrade from one of the worst wr/te groups in the league to a group that is at least more mediocre than putrid. Beasley is starting his 9th year and between them, Beasley and Brown have 13 seasons behind them with only one where they had more than 1,000 yards receiving and at least 7 TDs. Yes, Beasley and Brown are upgrades but only because we had nowhere to go but up. The second coming of Reed and Lofton they are not. We might not need a "stud WR who can take over the game" but we do need one capable of 70+ catches, 8+TDs and 1,000 yards receiving (something 20 different WR's managed to do last year). I like our picks, mostly, but the lack of a quality WR prospect is disappointing.

Some truth to this...but you left out a couple of things.

1) Fit - these guys fit the offense and personnel better

2) Vastly improved offensive line

3) Josh Allen gets a full offseason as the starter. Last year he was getting 3rd string reps much of camp

I think these factors will lead to a much more effective offense this year, regardless of not making a sexy splash at WR.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

Putting all of our eggs into Beasley and Brown are why the Bills have been the Bills since the Super Bowl era. We need more foresight than hoping for extra production from career #2s and 3s. 

Meh. 

I'd say reaching for WRs in a draft where there weren't any great ones just because it's a "need" would be more of a Bills-y move.

Drafting linemen because thats the strength of the draft and its what the value dictated and waiting until next year when there will be better WRs available makes sense to me. Another thing that makes sense to me? Having Foster and Brown on the outside, which is a "pick your poison" speed double threat that not many teams will have an easy time handling. Then, in the open space underneath, you have slot machine Cole Beasley and matchup  nightmare Duke Williams (what nickel defender can match up with this monster?). And don't forget what should be a much improved running game and the danger that Josh Allen's legs present, as well. 

Basically what I'm saying is that defenses are darned if they do, darned if they don't. If they bring a safety down into the box, Brown or Foster will light 'em up deep. If they don't, Shady and Gore and Motor will run wild. Drafting a mediocre wide receiver wasn't going to make a material difference.

Time will tell the tale.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1