WR situation is like going in with Peterman as starter last year

8 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Let's not be silly here.  Jon Brown was on pace for 1300 yards and 14 TDS, then Lamar Jackson became Qb and they ran the triple option offense.  Brown, Foster, Jones, and Beasley may not be the best group in the league.  But its not a colossal ***** show either.  The group is better than last year.  There is not stopping them from bringing in anyone else in FA.  Imo they need a big body red zone threat.  If they bring in Crabtree is that any better than adding a guy in third rd?

It will be come playoff time. I have so much confidence in Allen. I already firmly believe they will make the playoffs this season, but this receiver corps will be exposed in the playoffs. I honestly feel that AJ Brown is potentially the difference between playoff divisional loss and Super Bowl.

• Haha (+1) 1

Peterman and trainwreck are hyperbole and simply reactive to not taking a WR early. I wanted the position addressed as well, but the direction taken is not irrational. Forgetting Duke Williams is a real thing. He might stack up as at least a fella that falls talent wise into what you might have gotten in rounds 2 or 3. In general, it's been a strong off-season, free agency and the draft looked at as a whole. The o-line has gone from a huge liability to potentially a strength, wr has upgraded to at least adequate, there's actually some youth at rb to go along with veteran future HOFs, Allen has a yr of experience and will get first team reps from the get go, older, underachieving coaches have been replaced with young, hungry coaches who apparently impressed the incoming rookies, the hole left by the departure of Kyle Williams filled with one of the top players in the draft.

In short, plenty of reason not to be salty about the draft.

Just now, Troll Toll said:

It will be come playoff time. I have so much confidence in Allen. I already firmly believe they will make the playoffs this season, but this receiver corps will be exposed in the playoffs. I honestly feel that AJ Brown is potentially the difference between playoff divisional loss and Super Bowl.

Now you think they will make the playoffs and be “exposed.”  Is this much the same as the fact that the Cheats* having no WR’s last year and being “exposed?”  We can only hope so.  Good grief, you’ve move from a really bad premise right on to laughable.

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I at least expect to get my dollar back. 

I'm not hedging my bets on him, just pointing out that in all the commotion about not getting x, y or z in the draft that there is a player that could fit a need that we already have. 

Like I said, if he's half a good in the NFL as he was in the cfl he's already better than most of last years players. 

Ah, a guy that thinks he won’t lose money on the lottery certainly helps explain the positivity around the idea of a foster-Williams pairing.

Ultimately, hopefully foster shows he deserves the reps this year. There’s a lot of volatility in projecting him but at least he’s shown capable for a stretch. Now we find out if he’s a good player with lapses or a bad player with flashes

duke is a “hopefully makes the practice squad and shows progress” type this year

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ALF said:

It's a careful 5 year process not a short term quick fix. 2020 free agency and draft should take care of remaining needs.

There are no 5 year builds in this league. In 5 years you are already building your next incarnation of the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

I walked into the draft thinking WR was a super low need.  I just think everyone is so obsessed with having this "WR1," as if that is a thing in the NFL, and not a fantasy football driven creation.  Its about how he WR corps, as a whole, looks.  And, they look really good.  

On top of that, despite how much hate Zay gets, he is obviously developing quite nicely.  Cutting (or trading) him was never on the table.  He has always been in their plans moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Ah, a guy that thinks he won’t lose money on the lottery certainly helps explain the positivity around the idea of a foster-Williams pairing.

Ultimately, hopefully foster shows he deserves the reps this year. There’s a lot of volatility in projecting him but at least he’s shown capable for a stretch. Now we find out if he’s a good player with lapses or a bad player with flashes

duke is a “hopefully makes the practice squad and shows progress” type this year

Fair enough.  And for the record I don't gamble because I know I'd be pissing my money away so I'd call it cautiously-optimistic instead of positivity.

It doesn't matter. The E-P system is about complimentary routes. The quarterback needs to go through his progressions and find the open guy. We have a bunch of complimentary players and are trying build a strong run game. Josh Allen is the main offensive weapon and his job will be to distribute the ball to the open man. Having the vaunted #1 receiver is just going to make him force the ball to the "go to guy" rather then read his progressions. I think they have just enough talent in the WR corps, and have a wildcard in Duke Williams. I'm not worried about it. 

11 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

When we get to the playoffs .. Defense and Running wins championships ... (see Rams, Chiefs last year) ... not sure the Patriots WR crew would be deemed elite ... but they (Edelman) get the job done when it counts (Damn I hate saying that) ... Beasley can be an Edelman lite clone.

55 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

The guys they have now are all roughly #3 receivers, not even #2 guys. It was a disaster last year and it will be a disaster this year. Allen is going to have to run the ball himself again to move downfield.

I think the most stupid pick was the tiny RB who ran about 4.7 in 40,  Maholmes has guys who can make big plays on the outside and Allen has nothing.  I thought this draft would focus on getting Allen a couple of playmakers or at least one.  Fans on this board must have missed last season when announcers kept repeating how the Bills receivers could not get separation.  Other than the first round pick this draft was very disappointing and out offense will suffer this season because of it,  i am sorry but i am not interested in watching Allen take off and run 10-12 times a game or more because receivers are not open down the field.  This team does not even have a legit #2 receiver let alone a true #1/

If this was not an issue then why was Beane trying to trade for head case WR Brown, 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Now you think they will make the playoffs and be “exposed.”  Is this much the same as the fact that the Cheats* having no WR’s last year and being “exposed?”  We can only hope so.  Good grief, you’ve move from a really bad premise right on to laughable.

Patriots have some all time greats in Gronk and Edelman with great options for what they do behind them. Not sure where the HoF options are on the Bills group.

46 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....they DO come with a warranty and money back guarantee, right??..............

46 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....they DO come with a warranty and money back guarantee, right??..............

Only if it says it on the box, and it doesn’t say it in the box! 

Lol

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

When we get to the playoffs .. Defense and Running wins championships ... (see Rams, Chiefs last year) ... not sure the Patriots WR crew would be deemed elite ... but they (Edelman) get the job done when it counts (Damn I hate saying that) ... Beasley can be an Edelman lite clone.

Beasley is not the gritty downfield threat that Edelman is. I’m not hating on Beasley, but he seems to basically just be used on 5-10 yard routes. He’s very, very good at those, but I don’t think that will allow Allen to start nearing 5000 yards passing like he is truly capable of.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Question: how does an NFL team fill every need with 4 draft picks?

They fill 3 by drafting in place on the first 2 and using the second 2 to move up. That is as good as you can realistically hope for in a draft. The Bills did fine with the first 2, but they botched the 3rd.

Edited by Troll Toll

3 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

Beasley is not the gritty downfield threat that Edelman is. I’m not hating on Beasley, but he seemed to basically just be used on 5-10 yard routes. He’s very, very good at those, but I don’t think that will allow Allen to start nearing 5000 yards passing like he is truly capable of.

Everything about Sean is about ground and pound ,  even giving up picks to draft slow moving TE because he is a good blocker.  He plays caveman football and does not get it,  you need to make plays down the field to win games.

6 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

Beasley is not the gritty downfield threat that Edelman is. I’m not hating on Beasley, but he seemed to basically just be used on 5-10 yard routes. He’s very, very good at those, but I don’t think that will allow Allen to start nearing 5000 yards passing like he is truly capable of.

This offseason is like the year we had Marv Levy running the team,  signed a bunch of medicore free agents and drafted high motor guys.  You need guys with elite speed to make big plays and our offense is very limited at WR and TE.  The TE position may be the worst on the team,

• Like (+1) 1

The WR class was apparently not highly thought of by GMs this year given where they were drafted.  And folks around here need to calm down and realize Beane has a much better handle on these guys that any of us.

They are focused on protecting Allen first and foremost.  Then you have two guys in Foster and Brown with speed, underneath guys in Beasley and Jones, some TEs and RBs that can catch.  But people yell about a #1 WR; as overused a term as franchise QB or lockdownCB.